Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Great TV.
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Just finished watching “Homeland”. Came to it late – it was made in 2013 – but I thought it was a fantastic series.

Apart from playing (AFAIK) the first bipolar hero(ine) in a major series or film, BIG up to Clare Danes who also produced. Damian Lewis also brilliant as the conflicted lead character.

As it was made two years ago, it’s interesting to speculate if the massively popular series had any effect on the real geopolitical situation, which I notice has just segued itself into the end game portrayed in the programme.

Or indeed if there has been any duggery of the skull type to achieve this as portrayed.

Either way, I thought it was one of those long series that we’ve been getting for the past few years (Deadwood/House of Cards/Band of Brothers) which at one level looks like America having an ongoing conversation with itself about what it means to be “America” and “American”.

Absorbing and working on so many different levels, it’s the best thing I’ve seen for ages.

Complete recommendation.

Pigface
    Free Member

I just started watching Deadwood, pretty good so far.

isto
    Free Member

Homeland is ace – will have to give Deadwood a watch.

Mr. Robot is also worth checking out – I am only a few episodes in but it’s good so far. Even the wife likes it despite the geektastic subject matter.

Notter
    Free Member

Homeland season two is also very good it goes downhill from there on imo.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

It started off ok, but went downhill very, very, quickly.

rene59
    Free Member

Deadwood

Deadwood was great, just remember though it was cancelled after the third season (for budgeting reasons) so it leaves you with a sense of wanting more as the series feels unfinished.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Interesting. In what way do you think it “went downhill”?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Interesting. In what way do you think it “went downhill”?

Well, there is no way anyone as mentally unstable as Carrie was would be allowed to keep going in that roll. She was a liability to herself, and her team.
    A dangerous combination.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Hmm. That IS a large ask for the suspension of disbelief, but I just went with it for the larger picture.

Notter
    Free Member

Difficult to explain my own downhill comment without spoilers!! But the general trend of the story went OTT from season 3, again imo.

jekkyl

I’ve just got into a series called ‘neighbours,’ come to it a bit late as well. It’s about this group of people who all live on the same street and they all like to talk to each other, how weird is that?! anyway, there’s this character in it called Mrs Mangle that I’m very concerned about, espicially as she’s fond of another character called ‘bouncer’ *raises 1 eyebrow*

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Wasn’t a large part of series 1 (and 2 IIRC) that nobody could find out about he bi-polar? Then once it was out there, the side started.
    BTW, following a war films conversation in the office, I’ll be digging out Das Boot for a submarine marathon.

DezB
    Free Member

S’alright. Don’t think I’d bother if another series came along.

Come on, did anyone see the Italian Mafia series Gomorrah? Now that was fantastic TV.

dingabell
    Free Member

Watched the first episode of ‘Top Coppers’ on catch up last night, and laughed my head off!
    Hope the rest of the series is as good.

timba
    Free Member

Homeland is based on an Israeli series, Hatufin, that premiered the year before Homeland and ran for two series. Did the US series then begin to find its own way and evolve with world events?

Thoroughly enjoyed it, although I wasn’t so keen on season 3 (Venezuela)
    Season 5 out soon

njee20
    Free Member

Season 3 was alright. But season 4 was just a totally different dynamic. Following the end of season 3 (avoiding spoilers!).

Seasons 1 and 2 were excellent.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I found the final programme very emotional. Bitter-sweet and sad but with a small triumph buried deep inside it, revealed in the very final shot….

senorj

We like Odyssey , on bbc2 at moment.
    Sabotuers on 4 was also enjoyable.

bearnecessities

I’m generally more a radio man, but there’s a programme on BBC2 at the moment about owls, which is just lovely viewing 🙂

cheekyget
    Free Member

I’ve just got into a series called ‘neighbours,’ come to it a bit late as well. It’s about this group of people who all live on the same street and they all like to talk to each other, how weird is that?! anyway, there’s this character in it called Mrs Mangle that I’m very concerned about, espicially as she’s fond of another character called ‘bouncer’ *raises 1 eyebrow*

Corrrr!!!! Mrs Mangle!!…I’ll smash. her back. doors in 😛

paulmgreen
    Free Member

I got to Peaky Blinders late …. Watched both series back to back . Absolutely brilliant

toppers3933
    Free Member

I’ve really enjoyed both Peaky Blinders and Ripper Street. I know they will make another Ripper Street series but I’m not sure I’ll watch it. Thought it wads really great end to the third series that they should draw a line under it. I’m looking forward to more Peaky Blinders though.

DezB
    Free Member

Gomorrah is on Sky Boxsets people. Watch it. You’ll beg for a second series and there isn’t one! Awesome.

Pigface
    Free Member

Fear the Walking Dead premiered last night in the States, a kind of prequel to the Walking Dead. Got mixed reviews but will give it a go as I like WD

Danny79
    Free Member

+1 for Mr Robot, also enjoying Tyrant sort of a modern day Game of Thrones, set in a fictional Arab dictatorship. No dragons, magic or swords but guns and the same political intrigue.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Really enjoyed Sense8 on Netflix.

jane15
    Free Member

I enjoy watching House of cards! Kevin Spacey is such an amazing actor

razorrazoo

toppers3933 – Member

I’ve really enjoyed both Peaky Blinders and Ripper Street. I know they will make another Ripper Street series but I’m not sure I’ll watch it. Thought it wads really great end to the third series that they should draw a line under it. I’m looking forward to more Peaky Blinders though.

Series 3 of RS is what was originally on Amazon right, the one that is being shown on BBC now?

If you’re into that sort of thing, my favourite recently has been Vikings. On Amazon then History (Seasons 1 & 2 on DVD). Awesome.

IHN

Everything since The Sopranos has been a disappointment 🙁

burgatedicky

Everything since The Sopranos has been a disappointment

+ This

However, I still maintain The Wire is still the best TV I’ve ever watched

binners

As recommended by Bravisimo, of this parish, this is the best thing thats been on telly in ages…..

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I got to Peaky Blinders late …. Watched both series back to back . Absolutely brilliant

I have just finished season 1. Hooked. Thought the filming, script and fast paced story were great. Good casting too, Thomas Shelby can be so cold, and calculating.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I know they will make another Ripper Street

Hmm. Watching RS #3 at the moment – not quite up to #1 & #2. IMO.

Peaky Blinders, again #1 was excellent, #2 was ok.

The Knick was excellent. Practically nobody I know watched it, but I liked it. Directed by Soderberg, Clint Mansell score, Clive Owen.

hels
    Free Member

My vote for the best thing on TV this year goes to 1845 (or was it 1865 ?) the Swedish histowical dwama.

Riveting. And factual. Can’t miss !

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

However, I still maintain The Wire is still the best TV I’ve ever watched

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Great TV.’ is closed to new replies.