Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Great-Rock day, photos and a write up
  • Alex

3 years ago did a Jedi day. It was great. Off to the alps end June and really felt I needed to try and find a more consistant way of riding adequately briskly than ‘hanging on and hoping’. Three of us signed up for a alpine-prep day with Ed @ Great-Rock. It was a fab day, learned a lot, crashed a bit, came away with much to practice.

Switchbacks

Great Rock Skills Day by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Letting it all hang out off the brakes

Steep roll downs (which Ed can manual, one day i will…)
    H on the roll in

Resting

Jumping off large lumps of concrete

Nice view. Shame about those in the foreground

Did a proper write up here, but the summary is if you want to go and learn some useful, repeatable skills on some fantastic trails, Ed very much recommended. We’ll be back for the ‘jumps for dads’ day.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I agree. I did the same course a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone.

I also want to go back to Hebden fir a day’s riding later this summer.

brant
    Free Member

Can’t believe you didn’t write about the strange man you met in the woods 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Alex

My therapist has suggested I don’t talk about it 😉

downhilldave

Excellent write up Alex, it’s on my tick list 😉 Had a few big crashes recently, think it will help

Alex

I crashed a few times on the day but I know why. And it was all because of a lack of commitment to doing the right thing or hitting the brakes. Ed said something really interesting about what holds a lot of riders back is always wanting to be able to stop. You kind of need to go through this and convince yourself that sometimes faster is safer. And a load more fun obviously.

I do worry tho that we’ll lose Ed to a ZZ Top tribute band 🙂

I didn’t come away with a ‘wow that’s changed my riding completely’ feeling (which with Tony I did a bit more), but I did think I can come home, get on my bike and practice that stuff every ride. Except the bunnyhops which I’ve been doing in the privacy of the local woods where no one can point and laugh 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Great-Rock day, photos and a write up’ is closed to new replies.