Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Great places in or near the "dumps". Let's celebrate the good stuff.
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Southend might be a bit of a dump. How about South Fambridge? Lovely life on the river. A summer evening, the birds flying in to roost. Beautiful.

This is just outside Swindon.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Saltholme RSPB reserve. It’s on Teesside, need I say more?

perchypanther
    Free Member

This is a mile from my house, right in the middle of an alleged shithole.

There were sightings of a huge black cat, possibly a mellanistic leopard, there a few years ago.

I was christened, married, christened my kids and will likely be buried in that church.

A couple of miles in the other direction are Mauldslie Woods which has loads of pretty good trails.
    This is the tamest of them….(not me in the video, Paul is way, way faster than me)
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6qxvX737Qk[/video]

senorj

Westcliffe on sea .
    Marginally better than Southend .;-)

Nipper99
    Free Member

Mynydd y Gwair – just out the back of Swansea, past Morriston hospital – 10 minutes from home.

postierich
    Free Member

Lichfield a great place surrounded by some dodgy towns Tamworth, Rugeley, only moved because of the other halfs job, now I,m stuck in Kendal 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

London. Surrounded by crap commuter towns, but the proles need somewhere I suppose.

tjagain

Edinburgh! the best and worst of UK cities in one place. the shithole estates are awful – Pilton / Muirhouse etc but the good bits are some of the nicest parts of the UK to live

Ro5ey
    Free Member

You lads been to Southend recently ?

Lots of modernisation and re-gentrification of the sea front and cliffs area. Apart from the “amusements” it’s all really quite nice along there.

Infact… I’d say worth a visit for a seaside stroll and something to eat.

High street/London road still horrid mind.

IHN

A stones throw from Gorton:

matt_outandabout

Arran:

A stones throw from Ardrossan:

ferrals
    Free Member

Nipper99 – Member

Mynydd y Gwair – just out the back of Swansea, past Morriston hospital – 10 minutes from home.

We’re pretty lucky in Swansea tbh from a bike perspective with Kilvey and Clyne right in town

stevied
    Free Member

Surrounded by a dump of a town 😉

petec
    Free Member

this is very close to High Wycombe – which was mentioned.

There are loads of lovely hills and valleys around there.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

A stones throw from Ardrossan:

Isn’t that one of the army’s FIBUA villages?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Eton is a short walk from Slough. I appreciate neither of those places might appeal to people but they are certainly a contrast.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

this is very close to High Wycombe – which was mentioned.

Is that Brill?

This is close to High Wycombe too:

Eton is a short walk from Slough. I appreciate neither of those places might appeal to people but they are certainly a contrast.

And Windsor, for that matter.

“There’s a row going on, down near Slough…”

perchypanther
    Free Member

Isn’t that one of the army’s FIBUA villages

Well, you can get FISH and CHIPS there.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Well, you can get FISH and CHIPS there.

😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Those awful South Wales Valleys:

And let’s not forget Swindon – what a dump!

Oh, and commuting through the crowded South-East to the dump that is Farnborough – so bad I’d erased it from my memory:

petec
    Free Member

Nope. The Wycombe one was Turville. Also known as Vicar of Dibley/Chitty Chitty Bang bang village.

Course, Midsomer is everywhere around here. The house next door featured heavily in one episode.

There’s also this – which is very close to Reading

dragon
    Free Member

Regardless Brill is blooming lovely for a road ride on a warm summers evening. In fact a huge chunk of Oxfordshire is awesome for cruising around on the road bike.

sirromj

Grew up in rural Kent, and now living in a town on E. Kent coast.Went to Sunderland for university but with hindsight am disappointed I didn’t explore the surrounding area more. Wasn’t into MTB back then. Furthest I got out (other than Newcastle) was a visit to Penshaw monument and data entry at some industrial estate. Have some fondness for the place really, spent too many a night walking the streets in a drunken haze having left early whatever dive I was subjected to in the name of entertainment.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Since Fort William got a (legitimate) slagging for its appearance, I will nominate everywhere within a 50 mile radius of Fort William (excluding Kinlochleven).

aleigh
    Free Member

@molgrips – what were the Swindon pics of?!

matt_outandabout

Since Fort William got a (legitimate) slagging for its appearance, I will nominate everywhere within a 50 mile radius of Fort William (excluding Kinlochleven).

+1
    Aviemore also…

molgrips
    Free Member

@molgrips – what were the Swindon pics of?!

Don’t remember – there were endless beautiful trails like that all over the downs to the South. I bloody loved working there over the summer!

I could probably correlate my Strava with the times of those pictures if you want? Or just follow me.

aleigh
    Free Member

I couldn’t see the pics so looked them up on my phone…..

It looks like Ridgeway (I’m having a guess BTW!)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lymm.

How can such a nice wee place be so close to Warrington?…..

parkesie
    Free Member

Got to love a spot of FISH and CHIPS 🙂 alot of Stoke looks like a FIBUA village but is surrounded by great riding.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Roanhead beach, just outside Barrow in Furness.

[/url]Roanhead Beach Walk (11) by Sian and Carl, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]black Coombe from Roanhead by Martin Holt, on Flickr[/img]

*not my photos

thegreatape
    Free Member

My aunt and uncle live in Lymm, it’s well posh.

molgrips
    Free Member

I couldn’t see the pics so looked them up on my phone…..

It looks like Ridgeway (I’m having a guess BTW!)

There are several ridgeways, lots of long distance paths, and tons more pathways all over the place. Can’t remember specifically where they are but I don’t think it’s the main ridgeway.

EDIT Hmm maybe it is.. Strava seems to suggest the Avebury Down bit.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

YoKaiser
    Free Member

matt_outandabout, you seem to have it in for Ardrossan. Certainly not the most prestigious of toons, but its not that bad.

matt_outandabout

Am i close to home? 😉

It could be worse…A lot worse.

136stu
    Free Member

Todmorden

I kid you not!

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Is that Gaddings Dam?

richardkennerley

I know Blackpool is a dump, my picture on the other thread is just a couple of typical back Street sights round town, there’s much worse.

But like anywhere, in the right light at the right time, parts of blackpool are alright, i liked growing up here and being a tourist town means there’s loads of good stuff for kids to do.

Regularly the view from my work in winter evenings

Evening rides on the prom are pleasant enough

There’s a nature reserve just outside the town centre, Marton mere

And of course, just across Morecambe bay, we’re not that far from the good old lake district

Ambrose

@Nipper- what you say is true. I live on the northern side of Mynydd y Gwair. The hill is covered in hidden secrets.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Great places in or near the "dumps". Let's celebrate the good stuff.’ is closed to new replies.