Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Great Langdale – Lakes
  • coconut
    Free Member

Spending the bank holiday next weekend in Great Langdale, Lake District. I will have 3 full days for riding. Going to do helvellyn one of the days. Can you recommend some routes for the other 2 days, starting in Great Langdale as I may not have car access.
    thanks 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

You could do the Loughrigg-Iron Keld loop, usually it is started from Ambleside but obviously being a loop you can start it anywhere – http://www.pedalnorth.com/content/loughrigg-loop If that’s a bit short you can extend it over to Claife Heights.

For higher stuff you could do a loop over Rossett Gill, down to Styhead, then Borrowdale and back over by Stake Pass. There’ll be a bit of hike a bike on this!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Grizedale. Although you’ll have a bit of a road climb to get there.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thestabiliser
    Free Member

Go big, Four passes

mtbguiding
    Free Member

One of my favourite guiding areas. Dare I recommend a great guidebook 🙂 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lake-District-Mountain-Bike-Routes/dp/0957364504 Feel free to email (address on profile) if you want some GPXs or general advice…

scruff
    Free Member

A nice all rideable and interesting route is along the river path from Elterwater to skelwith bridge, road then bw to sunny brow, up to iron Keld where you can take a right at signpost and fun rocky track back down to bw to sunny brow, back up and then down from iron Keld to the road, quick pedal up the tarmac then across to hodge close, take slightly sunken middle track from the quarry, left to Holme ground farm, up r then fun up then down track all the way to fell foot bridge. R along the road then track past dale end, l on bw back to Elterwater. better ride than loughrigg imo, although you could do both.
    Went up Rossett, down to seatoller, along langstrath then over stakepass on Saturday, it’s hard work if your not used to portaging but a good day with challenging rocky downs.
    Don’t do stakepass, langstrath, green edge into grasmere. It’s floating about about as classic route but it’s far too much bouldery pushing and carrying.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’d give some recommendations but MTBguiding does tend to know the best stuff and is very helpful, have a word with him.

coconut
    Free Member

Thanks folks.. much appreciated.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I think the road up to Keswick is back open. If not the Ambleside/Struggle route works but allow more time.

This thread I found useful Natural Grizedale

Enjoy we drove through Great Langdale a few weeks ago on our scenic way to Ambleside.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Up the baysbrown track, over past blea tarn, over wrynose, BW from cockley beck to Birks, up through forest, down wallabarrow back up the valley, on the pain train up wlana scar down to coniston, up to tilberthwaite on the permissive BW and wither through hodge close and back via little landage and the track and BW over to elterwater OR up iron keld, down to road along to skelwith, scream abuse at the tossers in chesters, up the elterwater bway.

mtbguiding
    Free Member

Thanks for kind words munrobiker 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

scream abuse at the tossers in chesters,

😀

Chester’s now sells quite a few bits of cycling related gear that’d look great on your living room wall……posters of that famous bike race, you know, the one in France that our Wiggo won

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

could do a loop over Rossett Gill, down to Styhead,

[quote]Go big, Four passes[/quote]

Go VERY BIG, combine both these from Langdale side: Up Rossett; 4 passes; back down Rossett.

christhetall
    Free Member

There’s a whole heap of stuff to the south of Langdale, and it has the advantage of attracting less walkers than the rest of the Lakes. Loads of different options but on of my faves is to go to Tilbertwaite via the track that starts at the base of the Wyrnose pass, cut back past Hodge Close to Iron Keld and then back above High Arnside Farm. This route can be extended down to include Claife Heights, Grizedale, even Nibthwaite, Blawith and Walna Scar.

The liitle waterproof maps that the various bike shops sell are really useful – particularly the one for Grizedale

At the other end of the scale, you can do a great little technical loop from Elterwater in around 15 minutes – took me years before I could clean this section – Strava link

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Great Langdale – Lakes’ is closed to new replies.