Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Great Gable to Styhead Tarn – any good?
  • Sanny
    Free Member

Hi folks

Has anyone ridden this? I was up on the saddle of Great and Green Gable today but my mates were for heading straight down. Did I miss out by not going up onto Great Gable to ride off down towards Seatoller?

Cheers

Sanny

boxelder

Too loose and steep for me. I’m sure someone will have cleared it. Did you drop down Aaron Slack (from WindyGap to Sty head)?

ton

styhead to stockley bridge had me walking down.
    looking up to great gable from styhead does not look very bike friendly to me.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ton

this was about 7 or so years ago. it may have changed.

djglover
    Free Member

It’s 1 mile of stone staircase, I would expect it’s doable on a big enough bike, but will be busy with walkers and not very enjoyable. It’s not the most inspiring route up either.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Off the summit of Great Gable down to the stretcher box is okay – a bit messy at the top, then quite steppy. We tend to descend Aaron Slack more. There’s also a descent into Gillercoombe and down Sour Milk Gill that looks tempting from Green Gable – don’t bother, it’s poo, as is the descent off Base Brown.

Sanny
    Free Member

Aaron Slack was a bit poo at the top. 4.8 tyres just slide over the top of the scree instead of digging in which made things a bit challenging! The Styhead tarn was brilliant though. I will check out Great Gable next time for sure.

Sanny
    Free Member

Moses Trod looks like a nice traverse over to Fleetwith which I fancy doing.

Re Aaron Slack. It pisses height away really quickly for a lot of effort to get to the top of it. Not a classic but it serves a purpose. 😀

What is poo about Gillercomb, parkedtiger?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Were you with Dene Sanny? Saw his ride on strava and assumed you’d be with him!. Lakes were pretty perfect for riding on Sunday.

Sanny
    Free Member

I sure was! Some mint descents were had in cracking sunshine! 😀

dragon
    Free Member

It’s 1 mile of stone staircase, I would expect it’s doable on a big enough bike, but will be busy with walkers and not very enjoyable. It’s not the most inspiring route up either.

+1

It was a boring enough walk down. Also I’m not sure I fancy man handling a bike bike over Great Gable, well at least not the way I went to the top.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

What is poo about Gillercomb ?

The bottom of the valley is an unridable rock garden – also, there are a couple of climb-downs once you reach the waterfall down to Seathwaite.

Moses Trod looks like a nice traverse over to Fleetwith which I fancy doing.

It’s good in both directions.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Great Gable to Styhead Tarn – any good?’ is closed to new replies.