Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Great Gable and Black Combe in the Lakes – anyone ridden them?
  • Sanny
    Free Member

Like the title says, anyone? Contemplating some Lakeland cheekiness……. 😀

boxelder

Black Combe’s not cheeky (assuming you mean lone hill near Millom). Up from the west, blast back down southwards. Short day though.

Great Gable…….cheeky
    In from Honister, down via Styhead probably best – I wouldn’t though.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Gable summit to the stretcher box by Styhead tarn is the best route down. Bit messy at the start then fix the fells style steps. Aaron’s Slack from Green Gable is arguably more fun.

stevestunts
    Free Member

You can reach some terrifying speeds heading south off Black Combe. Just make sure the wiper seals on your forks aren’t almost entirely devoid of any form of lubricant, or the stutter bumps on the long grassy section will kill them dead. I speak from experience 🙁

It’s not really a ride for a murky day. There’s not a lot of technical challenge, it’s literally winch up, blast down, so you’d be better picking a clear day when you can get the benefit of the views off the top. You can see a hell of a long way from up there on a good day!

stoney
    Free Member

What boxelder & pt said! was a bit rough on the HT though!!!!! 😉

We rode from Keswick that day, up Honister mine road, along Moses Trod, round and up the back of Gable.

Was Ace!

billyboy
    Free Member

Black Combe is always good. Best to go up at Whitbeck on the coast road, mirror the road going north and then turn up with the fell wall to its highest point, then cut up right to the top, and then down to Whicham Church and back round to Whitbeck. All doable tho I always wimp out at a couple of bad steps at the beginning of the final section down to the fell wall gate above the church.
    If you wanted to make it a longer day you’d need to incorporate a bit of road but there is a dirt track that climbs out of Bootle up to the top of the Corney Fell Road. There is then a track off that fell road about 1km south of the top (very bog grass no track-track at first, so best ridden downhill) that takes you down past the Swinside Stone Circle, then you’d be tarmac (take the back roads, they are v quiet) back to Whicham.

Great Gable……….from walking up there I think…LOADS AND LOADS OF HIKE A BIKE… I’ve not done it with a bike, but I have gone up from Wasdale and over to Langdale with a bike, and that was LOADS OF HIKE A BIKE

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Great Gable and Black Combe in the Lakes – anyone ridden them?’ is closed to new replies.