Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Great British Bake Off: Baked Alaska-gate
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

Happened to watch the Bake Off on Tuesday with the whole ice cream in the bin hissy fit from Ian the bearded one after his ice cream was sabotaged by his 69 year old opponent. With no pie to judge Ian was kicked off the show. Ooh what drama. Next up we have the social media storm about how the good lady has sabotaged him and Ian should be re-instated. He was even on Newsnight yesterday evening. The BBC have announced Diana has stepped down due to ill health.

The show was recorded in the summer (April to June), the result is done and dusted (in icing sugar and hundreds and thousands probably) the winner decided but the recorded show not shown yet. All those shouting for “justice” need to get a grip !

(sorry wrong forum)

njee20
    Free Member

The issue is that he wasn’t sabotaged at all, it was just edited to look that way, which is poor form.

stumpy01

True. The reaction to this is all a bit ‘storm in a teacup’.

I think I would have reacted similarly to the bloke though had someone messed up my ‘entry’ in a competition that I had worked hard for and was passionate about.
    It’s an odd one really because people are saying he over-reacted and should have controlled himself better. But one of the big draws for shows like this is the emotion and the human side of things. I guess you can be elated, disappointed, teary etc. but for some reason it’s not acceptable to be bloody well pissed off because some old bat has ruined your dessert!

Not sure if it was just the BBC editing, but she didn’t apologise or even seem that concerned about the fact she’d just ballsed his ice cream up, just made a comment about the fact that he could have used another fridge.

discoduck
    Free Member

I watched it the other night, or at least part of it. I had to turn it off as i was snapping just watching the whole ice cream melting in the heat thing. I had no idea what had happened until I saw the news streams yesterday.

Its funny how every one is making a Hue & Cry about it demanding that he be re instated as though they are standing by the cameras with a clapper board awaiting soscial medias reaction?

As you said people need to get a grip, as for the winner it’s the woman from Lincolnshire with the woman from the house in the shoe face that wins it,

Oooooh, spoiler

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Never mind OP, the X-Factor starts at the weekend.

martinhutch

It’s always funny when you realise that even folksy, happy-seeming programmes like Bake Off are actually edited in as evil and manipulative way as Big Brother or the X-Factor…

Nobby

‘Interesting’ editing brings huge media coverage for TV series shocker!

🙄

lemonysam
    Free Member

Evil? Really?

martinhutch

Yes! Evil, I tell thee! 🙂

Sue Perkins is actually a witch, I’ve heard.

miketually
    Free Member

And so begins round three: complaining online about people complaining online about a TV show.

martinhutch

It’s a feedback loop of outrage. And you’re trapped in it!

johnners
    Free Member

Not sure if it was just the BBC editing, but she didn’t apologise or even seem that concerned

That’s a bit inconsistent, you seem very sure it wasn’t the just BBC editing that made it look like she ruined his dessert.

There was some quite vile abuse aimed her way on Twitter over the whole thing. Not that she didn’t deserve it though, what with her being in the public eye while being a woman and all.

z1ppy

Storm in a tea cup, though I was surprised when it made out Diana as some sort of scheming/sabotaging old dear, had not long said.. I like to go to hers for tea…
    A shame and the BBC/editors of the program should apologies, as she’s going to end up “labeled”.

PS: Also find it surprising that during the hottest period of this year, they couldn’t supply some extra cooling to the tent, especially when the contestants are making ice-cream.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m disappointed that we won’t get to see a 69 year old wearing Nike Airs anymore. 🙁

martinhutch

Hmmm..Beardy McAxerson or conniving old biddy? So hard to choose who to hate.

stumpy01

johnners – Member

Not sure if it was just the BBC editing, but she didn’t apologise or even seem that concerned

That’s a bit inconsistent, you seem very sure it wasn’t the just BBC editing that made it look like she ruined his dessert.

Yeah. Sorry for my inconsistency. 🙄 I’ll try to write a more objective, well thought out reply to a thread about a baking competition in future.
    Perhaps start a twitter campaign to get me to reconsider my views….?

ourmaninthenorth

And so begins round three: complaining online about people complaining online about a TV show.

Level 3.5: I’d like to complain online about your complaining online about people complaining online about a TV show.

DezB
    Free Member

I like to go to hers for tea..

You must have insider information then.

Kate’s the one for me. She can make me a self saucing sponge any day.

johnners
    Free Member

I’ll try to write a more objective, well thought out reply to a thread about a baking competition in future.

Great, just see that you do.

ninfan
    Free Member

I thought they all deserved to be disqualified for not doing a proper baked alaska

none of this italian meringue finished with a blowtorch bollocks, get it in the oven!

z1ppy

😈 @ Dezb

… I was surprised too, I always thought you made ‘baked’ baked alaska…

bikebob

As usual, STW thread more interesting than the real event. It could be editing we will never know. But how does she step down? The spot light is on this week, it was recorded and finished months ago. how does that work?

miketually
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth

Level 3.5: I’d like to complain online about your complaining online about people complaining online about a TV show.[/quote]

3.5.1: How dare you complain about me complaining about complaining about a TV show?

lemonysam
    Free Member

none of this italian meringue finished with a blowtorch bollocks, get it in the oven!

One of my mum’s favourite stories about my dad is the day he decided to make a mint choc chip baked alaska for a dinner party and

a.) left it in the oven too long

and

b.) left gaps in the meringue.

Cue jets of green lava shooting out of a dessert Vesuvius all over the dinner table.

catschroedinger
    Free Member

The reaction to this is all a bit ‘storm in a teacup’.

meanwhile in Syria & Iraq PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY JUST BEING MACHINE GUNNED

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have to watch The Baking, because my wife very gamely sat through the entire series of Fargo with me, and I think a couple should have some minimal shared cultural life.

Lorne Malvo would not have stood for that woman taking his ice cream out of the freezer.

legend
    Free Member

The BBC have announced Diana has stepped down due to ill health.

from a series that’s already been filmed in its entirety

pictonroad

I’m not sure the events in Syria are related to this.

Might be wrong though, who knows?

wallop

I like to read twitter comments during GBBO. My favourite this week was someone mentioning that they’d “never seen an angry hipster before” 😆

simon_g

He’ll have a cookbook out for Christmas, and probably a TV show next year. All publicity is good publicity.

njee20
    Free Member

from a series that’s already been filmed in its entirety [/quote]

Yeah, sod it, let’s just announce who’s won before they air anything.

Tour de France highlights shows really should just start by saying who won as well, it’s already happened after all.

I’m not sure the events in Syria are related to this.

Might be wrong though, who knows?

Well that bloke does look ike he’s been held in a cave for 6 months by the Mujahadeen.

I managed to miss all this untill I clicked on the BBC news and saw his face on the front page – I thought the headline would be about ISIS releasing some western hostages.

Cougar

Its funny how every one is making a Hue & Cry about it

People understandably get emotional when it’s over a Labour of Love.

jfletch
    Free Member

from a series that’s already been filmed in its entirety

Err, she was ill when the filmed it?

Either that or she was “ill” when they filmed it.

But she definately did what ever she did when she filmed it, not now.

discoduck
    Free Member

How can you trust any one who wears NIKE Air Trainers, Gangster Granny.
    i cant beleive the BBC have even managed to corrupt a Mary Berry programme about baking a Cake, Having just watched it back on iplayer i dont think he over reacted at all, i thought he was severely lacking in the over reacting department and just wandered off.

Personally i’d have knocked the power off to the tent so that filming would have had to re start putting everyone back on an even keel and then i’d have taken her ice cream and put it in the oven and the meringue in the fridge.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

catschroedinger – Member

The reaction to this is all a bit ‘storm in a teacup’.

Whataboutery post of the day.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Have you ever tried to get ice cream to set in the desert? It’s bloody murder.

BigDummy
    Free Member

have you ever tried to get ice cream to set in the dessert?

This is why Baked Alaska is such a demanding pudding to make.

BOOM.

😉

mamadirt
    Free Member

Sue Perkins Mary Berry is actually a witch, I’ve heard.

FTFW 😉 😈

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Great British Bake Off: Baked Alaska-gate’ is closed to new replies.