Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Great Britain
  • mechanicaldope

So, Brexit arguments aside, as the key motivation for leaving the EU was so we can ‘Make Britain Great Again’, what era should we be trying to model our future on. I guess we need to pick a time with pretty equal wealth distribution (or at least the working classes not being left to starve) and when everyone was allowed pudding. Any ideas?

spekkie
    Free Member

None spring to mind. . . . .

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeV2cExvnMI[/video]

jimdubleyou

Can we fast forward to 2500?

kjcc25
    Free Member

The last time we were part of a European Union was in the Roman Period. England eventually got its independence and went into the Dark Ages, during this time immigration increased as people from Northern Europe saw England as away of improving their lives. There was much resistance to this uncontrolled immigration but eventually under strong leadership the various communities began to see themselves as one nation. By the 15th Century England, it could be said, began its rise to become a world power. So if history is to be repeated we have about a thousand years to go and England will be great again.

rkk01
    Free Member

21st Century would be a good place to start 🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Embracing immigration, championing the rights of people and being a leader in thought and moral Fortitude with a good bit of coke dealing and pimping on the side to pay the bills.

mechanicaldope

@kjcc25

To be fair though the USA has done ok since gaining independence (from us). Although if we follow their path we will have a civil war in the next 100 years or so.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

How can it be Great Britain or even Britain again if Scotland leave ?

maccruiskeen

Will it ruin the thread if we define what the ‘Great’ in Great Britain actually means? 🙂 Or even what ‘Britain’ means?

Its not ‘Great’ as a superlative – like ‘Fab Britain’ – Its great like ‘Great Yarmouth’ or ‘Greater Manchester’ – ‘Great Britain’ distinguishes this land mass from its smaller cousin ‘Lesser Britain’ (or even Little Britain) which is Brittany in France. ‘Britain’ is the name for the piece of geography – the land would still be called Great Britain regardless of how the people or the governments on it are divided up and whether the people on that island are an amazing bunch of people or a shower of ****.

In the same sense – regardless of whether we’re in the EU or not we’re still (pending a massive seismic event) in Europe

mechanicaldope

@FunkyDunc
    We will certainly need a new flag. Perhaps PM Boris’ first act could be to announce a England/Wales wide colouring competition?

mechanicaldope

@maccruiskeen

To be honest I think we need to assume Great as in Fabulous rather than in comparison in size to a small region in France. Otherwise we are pretty much job done and the mods can close the thread.

joshvegas
    Free Member

By making britain great again are we chopping northern ireland off the side?

mechanicaldope

Only if they are going to hold us back.

km79
    Free Member

We just need to go back to a time before we had foreigners here, or at least to a time when they weren’t that noticeable in numbers. Dress t us all you want but that’s the real and only motivation for the numbers that voted to give leave a majority.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

km79 – Member
    We just need to go back to a time before we had foreigners here, or at least to a time when they weren’t that noticeable in numbers. Dress t us all you want but that’s the real and only motivation for the numbers that voted to give leave a majority.

No, that’s how you voted.

Don’t project your racist views on to the rest of us.

joshvegas
    Free Member

We just need to go back to a time before we had foreigners here, or at least to a time when they weren’t that noticeable in numbers

Bloody romans scots saxons angles vikings people coming here taking our jobs.

Its all over now back to the glory days of 2000BC

epicyclo

kjcc25 – Member
    The last time we were part of a European Union was in the Roman Period. England eventually got its independence and went into the Dark Ages, during this time immigration increased as people from Northern Europe saw England as away of improving their lives. There was much resistance to this uncontrolled immigration but eventually under strong leadership OF AN IMMIGRANT CONQUEROR the various communities began to see themselves as one nation. By the 15th Century England, it could be said, began its rise to become a world power. So if history is to be repeated we have about a thousand years to go and England will be great again.

Slightly modified your post for accuracy.

Also when was England a great power?

km79
    Free Member

You mistook my post, I do not share those views, quite the opposite. Trying to point out that for a significant amount of people who voted leave, that’s the era they model their future on, and the only thing that would make Britain Great.

slowoldman

None spring to mind. . . . .

Certainly not in this country.

sparksmcguff

Re going back to a time with fewer foreigners (and I’m not suggesting anyone here thinks it but clearly a significant minority who voted do) as my six year old could tell you – “that would be before the Normans then dad” – yes a six year old with average intelligence is smarter then 52% of the voting public.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

km79 – Member
    You mistook my post, I do not share those views, quite the opposite. Trying to point out that for a significant amount of people who voted leave, that’s the era they model their future on, and the only thing that would make Britain Great.

Apologies and I overreacted.

There probably were some who voted for that reason.

kjcc25
    Free Member

kjcc25 – Member
    The last time we were part of a European Union was in the Roman Period. England eventually got its independence and went into the Dark Ages, during this time immigration increased as people from Northern Europe saw England as away of improving their lives. There was much resistance to this uncontrolled immigration but eventually under strong leadership OF AN IMMIGRANT CONQUEROR the various communities began to see themselves as one nation. By the 15th Century England, it could be said, began its rise to become a world power. So if history is to be repeated we have about a thousand years to go and England will be great again.
    Slightly modified your post for accuracy.

Also when was England a great power?

We may be thinking of a different leader but I agree both were immigrants.
    I said England began its rise to be a world power, I did not forget about Scotland its just Scotland and England got together a bit late and without Scotland’s help England would never have become a world power. Let’s hope we stay together even though we may be entering the Dark Ages!

mechanicaldope

What about the ’60s? They were alright weren’t they? Certainly had some good music.

epicyclo

kjcc25 – Member
    …Let’s hope we stay together even though we may be entering the Dark Ages!

I think it’s too late.

I’ve spent most of my life hoping for a properly federated United Kingdom, but it’s obvious Scotland will always be treated like a possession or a colony in any relationship. There’s been very little respect shown to our parliament and quite a lot of Jockophobia in recent years. Hence I’m for out of the UK.

I fear for England because it seems the strongest motivator in the leave vote was pure racial hatred dressed in politer words. European history shows that doesn’t take long for that to morph into something even nastier. I truly hope I’m wrong there, but as long as the media is controlled by the current mob, there’s not much chance of change.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

We could call it “Greater Britain”, as in the larger part of Britain.
    It would probably rub ’em up the wrong way, but so what?

epicyclo

suburbanreuben – Member
    We could call it “Greater Britain”, as in the larger part of Britain.
    It would probably rub ’em up the wrong way, but so what?

I think you’ll find most Scots know the difference between the name for the land mass and the countries that occupy it.

But the “so what” demonstrates the attitudes that make us reluctant to remain tied to the southern country.

seosamh77
    Free Member

mechanicaldope – Member
    What about the ’60s? They were alright weren’t they? Certainly had some good music.

looks marellous 😕

seosamh77
    Free Member

km79 – Member
    We just need to go back to a time before we had foreigners here.

😆

or post roman britain? last time all the foriegners left?

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

The 60’s pretty much had full employment and it was also the decade women found more freedom. The 70″s still good for jobs, women etc but with better pay and more affluence.
    But really we need a new era, more investment in young people, better schools and better training to nurture our talent. Britain is great always has been and always will be, let’s stop being so pessimistic and keep confidence in the inhabitants of our nation, politicians will always mess up but we will carry on.

kjcc25
    Free Member

kjcc25 – Member
    …Let’s hope we stay together even though we may be entering the Dark Ages!
    I think it’s too late.

I’ve spent most of my life hoping for a properly federated United Kingdom, but it’s obvious Scotland will always be treated like a possession or a colony in any relationship. There’s been very little respect shown to our parliament and quite a lot of Jockophobia in recent years. Hence I’m for out of the UK.

I fear for England because it seems the strongest motivator in the leave vote was pure racial hatred dressed in politer words. European history shows that doesn’t take long for that to morph into something even nastier. I truly hope I’m wrong there, but as long as the media is controlled by the current mob, there’s not much chance of change.

Well let’s face it you haven’t shown much respect for the British parliament and I think much of the name calling has been both ways. Why not put some SNP candidates up for election in the north of England I think you would stand a good chance of being elected and England eventually could be a “possession” of Scotland. I’d be happy with that.

derek_starship
    Free Member

How about a bit of adversity to being out the greatness? 1970-1974?

epicyclo

mitsumonkey – Member
    The 60’s pretty much had full employment and it was also the decade women found more freedom. The 70″s still good for jobs, women etc but with better pay and more affluence…

That may have been the case in the SE, but in the North of Scotland it was a different story. Queues at the dole office went round the block even in a relatively small town like Inverness. I know that because I worked there and it was my job to keep them in alphabetical order. 🙁 Our only hope was to emigrate or move south.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Great Britain’ is closed to new replies.