Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Great Barrier Reef, get there whilst you still can.
  • zokes
    Free Member

The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority has approved a proposal to dump dredge spoil from the Abbot Point coal terminal expansion in the Marine Park area.

Three million cubic metres of spoil must be dredged as part of the project at Bowen in North Queensland green-lighted by Federal Environment Minister Greg Hunt last month.

Madness. I used to wonder what it would take for me to wish for Cameron to be PM. Well, this [every word the swear filter contains] does…

GRRRRRRRR!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It OK the environment minister is a complete hunt…

zokes
    Free Member

Yep, a complete and utter one 👿

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It does seem from what reports we get here (so, allowing for finer detail being missed) that the current government seem hell-bent on shitting all over the environment down there. Is there a credible opposition to any of this stuff?

zokes
    Free Member

The current government is hell-bent on shitting on anything any anyone that dares to even murmur about getting in the way of rampant free market capitalism, which will apparently fix everything.

The opposition ceased to be credible when it did the Rudd-Gillard-Rudd backflip, and pretty much the only reason a lot of people voted for Abbott was because at least their party demonstrated some form of unity, and frankly Labour were a complete shambles. Thankfully, it’s only a three year election cycle here, and Abbott’s popularity has plummeted like no other since gaining power, so hopefully the pain won’t last forever. What’s frightening is how much damage he can do in those three years…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For reference Australian politics seems to sit further right than the UK, with Labour being closer to Cameron in some areas than the right here who are chasing the US and Rupert….

We are heading to an election here in Tassie which will lurch right but hopefully leave the greens holding a balance of power (they actually have a full range of policies rather than just NO! in the UK)
    http://www.thepetitionsite.com/589/433/015/keep-tasmanias-old-growth-forests-on-the-unesco-world-heritage-list/

Still we can only hope for Karma to kick in

zokes
    Free Member

I’d happily line up to deliver that Karma to him. Where’s Harvey Lee Oswald when you need him? I’m sure there’s a grassy knoll round Canberra somewhere…

JCL
    Free Member

The current government is hell-bent on shitting on anything any anyone that dares to even murmur about getting in the way of rampant free market capitalism, which will apparently fix everything.

EXACLY the same situation in Canada.

Utterly depressing.

zokes
    Free Member

EXACLY the same situation in Canada.

We know – he’s cited Canada as a shining beacon of light for Australia to aspire to before now. Why can’t the queen just kick these morons out? She is queen, after all!

zokes
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ah the burlesconi principles

zokes
    Free Member

Absolute **** disgrace

Trimix
    Free Member

In all seriousness – the Reef is f***ed. Not just from the Aussi politics, but also from the more acidic oceans created by our messing with the environment.

Im yet to see any government anywhere in the world, that will leave us in a better place for the future. Current or opposition.

So – enjoy it while it lasts.

duckman

Sheesh, find myself agreeing with Zokes..wanders off to shower with bleach and hard brush..

zokes
    Free Member

wanders off to shower with bleach and hard brush..

Kinky 😉

back2basics
    Free Member

lets also not forget the sheer masses of farm-run-off that pollutes the coastal area’s around the reef due to mass farming thats been allowed and the destruction of native forests.

Trimix
    Free Member

In general I think our generation will be the last that can claim to have seen the pre and post f***ed environment.

That puts the responsibility of its loss on us.

scandal42
    Free Member

Quite simply mind boggling.

Says it all when the poorer countries that neighbour the Mesoamerican reef are putting a developed country like Australia to shame in sustaining it’s natural assets.

Having lived in OZ for a while I can’t say that I’m surprised. the 18-30 age bracket were probably too stoned to give a shit.

Australia has provided the world with a great example of what happens when you let the chimp run the zoo.

zokes
    Free Member

Chimp is too kind. Cockroach would be more apt: revolting, limited intellectual powers, but bloody difficult to get rid of 🙁

He probably stinks if you squash him too

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Great Barrier Reef, get there whilst you still can.’ is closed to new replies.