Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Great Ayton, N.Yorks – wassit like then?
  • MrSparkle

Going there for a few days soon. Planning on doing a bit o’ running and a bit o’ biking. Anyone local got any suggestions?
    Ta.

momo

Some very good biking around that part of the world, head up towards captain cooks monument and go explore the moors.

MrSparkle

Yes, I’ve heard about CC monument. I’ll take an OS map up and explore a bit. Roseberry Topping sounds delicious too!

momo

Roseberry’s nice on foot, wouldn’t bother on a bike personally, although there are some cracking routes that go around the back of it. Guisborough woods has some excellent trails, but definitely needs a local guide to get the most out of there.

MrSparkle

Cheers fella, appreciated.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Also, some DH on carlton Bank and Silton. Must be some good stuff to play on around Wainstones (above Great Broughton), but haven’t explored there yet.

scaredypants

used to be a big jump spot round there somewhere too, didn’t there ?

(we used to go sledging on ingleby incline – good no brakes challenge, I’d suggest !)

kevj
    Free Member

Heading West from Guissy woods, there is a cracking section before Roseberry Topping, down and to the right. Follow it around Roseberry and it will bring you out at Ayton quarry which is full of dirt jumps.

Ayton Quarry

Also plenty of good trails over the moors.

trailmonkey

stayed there for a couple of weeks whilst doing a job in middlesborough. really friendly pub and locals. i liked it.

cranberry
    Free Member

Stop in at Bike Scene at Guisborough with an OS map of the area and they should put you right.

stevehine

I’ve got quite a few GPS logs from running / riding round there; send me a PM if interested (that applies to anyone of course ! 🙂 – A good running loop incorporating Little Roseberry + Captain Cooks Monument and various biking loops in and around Guisborough woods / roseberry topping Captain Cooks

Steve

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Try and track down bonfield-jones from here. He’ll point you in the direction of the best riding or visit his website: http://www.trailkings.co.uk/

brakes
    Free Member

Great Ayton is awesome – I learned to ride a mountain bike in the early 90s riding from Newton under Roseberry (at the foot of Roseberry Topping) to Captain Cook’s Monument, around to Clay Bank and over to Carlton Bank (Wainstones) and the Lord Stones cafe. It’s basically the top of the North York Moors and one of the best parts of the world 😀
    Pop in to Great Ayton for an ice cream from Suggits and a paddle in the river.

gingerbiker67
    Free Member

brilliant riding for geared, single speed, bouncy or any other sort of bike

+1 for bikescene as source of local knowledge

new cafe at pinchinthorpe woods

MrSparkle

Thanks for all the responses everybody. I am really looking forward to getting there now! I don’t have a GPS but thanks for the offer. We will be staying in Great Ayton itself so we will be going to the ice cream shop. I will probably be taking the cross bike so I can get a bit of off roading and some road riding with the missus.

cranberry
    Free Member

There’s a good fish ‘n chip shop in the centre of Ayton, opposite the green. I was a frequent customer when I was back home in September.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

If your taking the CX, then head towards Osmotherly, and then up and over Black Hambleton and on to Sutton Bank?

Lovely part of the world mate, you’ll enjoy it.

Lots.

cranberry
    Free Member

If you can get a lift up to the top of Sutton Bank you can do a great one-way route that follows the edge of the Hambledon Hills and ends in Swainby. It’s not technical, but on a good day you great views.

DrJ

and look up Roseberry Topping on the Viz Profanisaurus 🙂

cranberry
    Free Member

You mean “Frequently climbed hill offering unrivalled vistas over the magical petrochemical wonderland that is Middlesbrough”, or the other meaning ??

🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Bring some lights and give me a shout when you get here and I’ll show you round.

Something slack with a few inches of travel works best in Guisbrough. With the exception of the moors most of it is really steep up, then really steep down. And it’s mostly natural so if you like your trail centers smooth and bermed you’ll hate it!

stevehine

GPS or not; I was thinking a few routes to look at might be handy like this delightful (!) 10k run

🙂

MrSparkle

Massive thanks to everyone who has responded on here or has dropped me an email.
    As I say I will be on the cx but I am sure I’ll find something to keep me amused. I’m really enthused to see how many people are so keen on the area. Cheers all!
    Sparkle.

mchlptchr
    Free Member

There’s a few of us meet every Sunday morning near Great Ayton if you want showing around.

Otherwise, loads of local information and a few videos to give you an idea of what to expect here;

http://mtbguisborough.ning.com/

I think you’ll enjoy it more on a MTB but then i don’t understand CX anyway…

MrSparkle

Thanks. Only there from Monday – Friday, sadly. I’ll have a look at that link when I get home. Much appreciated.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Great Ayton, N.Yorks – wassit like then?’ is closed to new replies.