Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Great article on disk brakes, data acquisition.
  • wwaswas

Really interesting use of data collection via power meter built into the middle of a disk rotor.

http://radventure.cc/quarq-power-rotor-data-at-your-fingertips/

I can see this with Shockwiz, pedal powermeter etc being really useful for pros looking to maximise speed.

For the rest of us it’ll be a neat overlay in Strava 🙂

Dave
    Free Member

Integrating with shockwiz and power meters also should lead to better suspension design.

njee20
    Free Member

Love the rotor thing, would be fascinated to see that.

Dave
    Free Member

I’d like to see the interaction of suspension and braking.

cookeaa

I think it might make for a useful coaching/training tool, the “skid score” thing they mentioned showing reverse loading on the rotor, F vs R brake use coupled with wheel speed sensors…

Session a section at the start of a day, discuss what the data shows about a riders braking habits, re-run the same section at the end of the day and see what’s changed…

People should maybe worry less about what suspension is doing, and more about what the actual wheels are up to…

slowoldman

They’ll use it to influence your voting.

cookeaa

They’ll use it to influence your voting.

Hmmmm, what might bicycle brake use data indicate about someones political tendencies?

Constant brake dragging? Libdem?
    Never touch the levers, deathgrip till you hit a tree? Kipper?

Dave
    Free Member

People should maybe worry less about what suspension is doing, and more about what the actual wheels are up to…

The two are interlinked though. Suspension has an effect on what your wheels are doing and how much traction you have to play with.

RustySpanner

Dave – Member
    I’d like to see the interaction of suspension and braking.

Does the Fox active system take braking into account?

Not read much about it, but it
    must do in some respect, the action of braking would be picked up by the sensors monitoring the suspension?

cookeaa

The two are interlinked though. Suspension has an effect on what your wheels are doing and how much traction you have to play with.

Granted, but the amount of work any suspension system is doing is, at least in part, a product of what the rider is doing with the brakes.

That’s a behaviour which can be trained/retrained, suspension is a largely passive system, and there’s a limit to how much ‘bad riding’ can be accommodated by telemetry based suspension tuning…

Dave
    Free Member

True. I guess getting suspension tuned first in any session then moving to brake behaviour is the Perfect goal. It’d be interesting to see how long it takes to adjust how people use brakes, I’d imagine that’s a long term adjustment to break that habit.

wilburt
    Free Member

Never mind all that can we clear up this disk vs disc thing please?

Dave
    Free Member

Disc/disk? It’s a rotor.

hols2
    Free Member

Never mind all that can we clear up this disk vs disc thing please?

First we need to clear up the confusion about rim brakes, which are just a form of disc brakes with a disk the same size as the wheel.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Great article on disk brakes, data acquisition.’ is closed to new replies.