Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Greasing a newer Santa cruz
  • deserter
    Free Member

Do I really have to remove the shock or is the linkage upside down?

2017 hightower by the way and the grease nipple is facing downwards and cant be reached without somehow compressing the suspension

jam-bo

Let the air out.

carlos
    Free Member

A friends Bronson is the same, best option is as above and let the air out, compress shock, grease, re pressurise shock, job done.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just whip out the 1 bolt that holds the shock in that mount and do it from there?

carlos
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    Just whip out the 1 bolt that holds the shock in that mount and do it from there?

Doing that ime, because we tried it, the grease you pump in fills the void the axle fills when its fitted as its an easier path and not much makes it into the bearings

mikewsmith
    Free Member

From the pics is there a path from the grease port to the shock mount?

daern
    Free Member

No, the upper links on Santa Cruz bikes are not greased, but use sealed bearings.

On older bikes there is two nipples, but I think the newer ones use a single lube point to lubricate both axles on the lower link. And yes, the newer Bronsons are a pain in the arse to do 🙁

daver27
    Free Member

Does anyone have a link to a compatible grease gun for the lower link on the Hightower?

neilforrow

I’m finding the same on the v2 5010…

Shock bolt out and fill, but the lube seems to just make it to one corner of the link, coming out at that point. It doest seem to make it to the rest of the bearings.

I dont really want to have to drop the link out every time…

daern
    Free Member

Does anyone have a link to a compatible grease gun for the lower link on the Hightower?

For my Tallboy 2, I use this:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132102155309
    …and this:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271983585494

My grease nipples are accessible underneath the bike and don’t need any dismantling to get to them. I have two on mine, so each axle in the lower link is greased separately. I also have the (small) OEM Santa Cruz grease gun, but have just about exhausted the original grease, so switched to this option. Works well.

wrecker
    Free Member

Did my Bronson yesterday with the bolt out. Came through about 1/4 if the bearing circumference but cycling through the travel will ensure coverage. I bought the hilka gun. It’s good but fussy.

daver27
    Free Member

thanks daern, i’ll order that shortly.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Have a hightower as well.
    I remove shock bolt and grease it that way
    i have started using marine grease tubes from ebay.
    I use the Dualco grease gun, the small pointed nozzle fits into the grease nipple.

zerolight
    Free Member

How often does this need to be done. My Hightower is 4 or 5 months old, 600km. I’ve got no symptoms or problems I need to resolve. Should I be doing this regressing now or wait a bit?

Fat-boy-fat

I do it about once a month. Keeps the bearings sweet so need to replace them. The best way I’ve found is to deflate the shock and compress it. It was actually the same on my older bikes to ensure the load was off the bearings and that grease would get to “both sides” of the bearing.

zerolight
    Free Member

Cheers

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Greasing a newer Santa cruz’ is closed to new replies.