Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Greasey spots on tubeless tyres
  • cubist
    Free Member

I have a Conti Rubber Queen on my rear wheel filled with Stans. It always has 10p piece sized greasey looking patches on it where I assume I have punctured and the Stans has done its business.

I’m not losing any notable pressure but these patches have been on the tyre since June and keep returning after rides/cleans etc… I never got this on the Schwalbes which were on previously or on my front tyre which is still a NN.

Is this normal? Why does it only happen on this tyre?

downhilldave

Had em on Conti Rubber Queen UST,and Baron’s, and on Schwalbe Hans Damph’s. Swapped to Maxxis after tearing started on the HD’s. Nothing comes through em. Have Ardent,Ikon and Minion’s. Don’t worry just keep riding 😆

JoeG
    Free Member

It happens sometimes on some of my tubeless tires w/Stans. Doesn’t cause any problems…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It’s the glycol weeping out of the solution slowly through the puncture holes. You lose water from the solution too, but it comes out so slow that it evaporates, where as the glycol doesn’t ( which is the point of it, as well as lowering the freezing point of the fluid) glycol is ‘a bit greasy’.

cardo

I get this too, thanks for the answer as to what it is.

stanleigh
    Free Member

I’ve had this with Conti X-Kings . Keep an eye on your sealant levels , it used to cost me a fortune replacing the Stan’s that weeped out .

stanleigh
    Free Member

I’ve had this with Conti X-Kings . Keep an eye on your sealant levels , it used to cost me a fortune replacing the Stan’s that weeped out .

Don’t use Continentals anymore !

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I find it’s actually pretty useful. It gives a good indicator of how much hammer a tyre has had. I’m using Hans dampfs at the moment. New, they go up fine and don’t weep. After a bit of officer hammer time, they then develop plenty of spots!

oldnick

Thinner/older tyres get more wet patches, but not a problem just an indicator of how well the spunk is working 🙂

My old RoRo appeared to be mostly damp patches, the new dual defence RaRa is as dry as a bone.

muddy9mtb

Thinner/older tyres get more wet patches, but not a problem just an indicator of how well the spunk is working

you di..r..ty old man 😉
    if it’s causing you grief then patch it from inside like a normal puncture repair, otherwise the sealant is doing it’s job and no worries

cubist
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses, glad I’m not facing imminent death. I appear to have 31 punctures in my rear tyre but am losing no pressure. Also I never had to fix the 31 punctures in an inner tube.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Kerching!

Candodavid
    Free Member

* chuckles * officer hammer time

Scapegoat

In one of those “Hey look at all those holes” moments I counted the patches on both bikes. I make that over a hundred times I haven’t had to stop and mend punctures. One of then is a 8 or 9mm cut that may well not have done a new tube any favours, so that’s a long faff and tyre boot moment saved as well.

Ain’t tubeless brilliant!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Greasey spots on tubeless tyres’ is closed to new replies.