• This topic has 15 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by jeb.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • grease – what to get..?
  • yunki
    Free Member

I’m after a general purpose, thick, waterproof grease.. For use when re-assembling headsets, BBs, hubs etc

Something blue or red or bright green so that I can feel competent..

any recommendations..?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

TF2. It’s also a nice red colour.

legend
    Free Member

Another vote for TF2. Avoid Pedros Bio-Grease, doesn’t stand up to any more than five mins use

argoose
    Free Member

I went to a Chandlers and got a tub of waterproof grease. Used on trailer wheel bearings, prop-shafts and the like. About £5 for 500g

nowmefeelinit
    Free Member

I use Shimano Dura-Ace Special Grease for headsets and hubs – waterproof grease that’s specifically for bike bearings. It’s what’s in Shimano wheel bearings when they leave the factory. Works a treat.

And you can feel really competent because it’s almost a flourescent green colour.

Stu

boxfish
    Free Member

Granville multi-purpose. Cheap as chips. T’ain’t a funky colour though.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Rock N Roll Superweb grease

coatesy
    Free Member

Silkolene RG2, big tub for not much more than a piddly tube of TF2, or for something stickier and better suited to extreme loads(freehub ratchets etc.)Castrol Spheerol EP2.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I like this stuff http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/fortified-grease.htm quite heavy so don’t use for hubs if you’re anal about rolling resistance, but on the upside it lasts well in rubbish conditions in my experience.

cheeezzy24
    Free Member

Silkolene Pro RG2 as used by my LBS and me for the last 10years. Its good stuff!

Markie
    Free Member

Mobil XHP 222 – it’s what Hope use, according to this thread and FWIW.

nickc

Another vote for Finish Line, I’ve never used anything else.

JoeG
    Free Member

I use Park Polylube in the tube. Its really convenient to use, and is available at almost every bike shop or internet bike stuff retailer. I’m not saying that it is a better grease than any other, but it works for me.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Any thing that doesn’t stiffen up and has good water resistance.

I’m currently experimenting with finish line ceramic polymer grease, which is marketed at roadies mostly. It’s a bit thin for what I regard as being good for mtb use, but it claims wonderous things about coating races and bearings to prevent rust, and whilst I was initially a bit sceptical, it does seem do what it says on the tin. Rolling resistance is excellent too, but the jury is out on water resistance (washout) at the moment.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’ve previously used JCB grease – designed for greasing the pivots and joints on earth moving equipment. It is bright blue, and the most water repellant grease I’ve ever used.
    It was the only stuff that lasted any length of time in Landrover wheel bearings which spent a lot of time off road/in water.
    It is also dead cheap, as diggers use a lot of it!

jeb

+ 1 Rock N Roll Superweb grease

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘grease – what to get..?’ is closed to new replies.