Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Grease to press in my BB bearings?
  • breninbeener

I have a Trek Elite carbon HT. Having drifted the BB bearings out of the aluminium bb shell, do i grease the new ones prior to installation?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I would.

vincienup
    Free Member

Yep. If it’s an Alu Shell then use what you like. No harm using carbon specific grease if that’s what you have, and possibly good if it gets trapped against carbon surfaces.

breninbeener

The bearings sit in an aluminium shell that is pressed/bonded into the carbon frame.

Thanks guys…i will lightly grease. Its what i though, but then i had a moments doubt…damn old age! 🙂

daern
    Free Member

Yup, I use a thin smear of lithium grease when refitting BB bearings (actually, pretty much any bearings), nominally to reduce creaking, but really to make sure they’ll come out again next time 🙂

joemmo
    Free Member

don’t mean to hijack … but will anyway 🙂

with pressed in bearings, when is grease appropriate and when should a retaining compound (threadlock type stuff) be used? Does it just depend on the application and materials?

I ask as I’ve been looking into this and opinion seems varied on the correct stuff to use

daern
    Free Member

Personally, I don’t ever, ever threadlock bearings…unless I need to 🙂

What this means, is that if I get creaking cranks from a BB30 then I’ll grease it up and if that doesn’t work, it’ll get its ass threadlocked into the shell. Whatever it takes!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Grease to press in my BB bearings?’ is closed to new replies.