Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)
  • Gravity Enduro's
  • legend
    Free Member

I thought the transition routes were supposed to be monitored last season? “Roaming marshalls” springs to mind
    What will happen if you turn up late? Just slotted in wherever? Which then leads me on to what happens at the next stage – start time adjusted or you’ve got to make it back into your original place?

andyrm
    Free Member

What will happen if you turn up late? Just slotted in wherever? Which then leads me on to what happens at the next stage – start time adjusted or you’ve got to make it back into your original place?

Hopefully we’ll see something like the SuperEnduro approach, where you have an alloted start time for each stage, so if you are late, effectively that adds to your run time, thus ensuring the best overall rider wins.

rompinrita
    Free Member

I was about to say id be more than happy to wear my fullface on the stages if it was compulsary or not, but as Mr Parr has just said it is, then it is 🙂 iv got a cheapo xc lid i can put on for the climbs anyway… so, i know all linking routes will be different lengths/gradients, but what would be an average distance and how much time are you given to get to the start of each stage?

legend
    Free Member

Hopefully we’ll see something like the SuperEnduro approach, where you have an alloted start time for each stage, so if you are late, effectively that adds to your run time, thus ensuring the best overall rider wins

which great until i have a major issue and suddenly find myself riding in Elites 😯

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

The Industry backing for 2013 is amazing, we have support sponsors already and should have news on title sponsor very shortly. Category sponsorship will be open soon to.

Does that mean that entry fees will be going down for 2013? 😉

Maybe the full face debate wouldn’t be so feisty if more manufacturers made enduro specific helmets…

scottfitz
    Free Member

Maybe the full face debate wouldn’t be so feisty if more manufacturers made enduro specific helmets

very true, affordable ones!

Taz

Wonder if Casco Vipers are ok as FF? Do you know Steve?

They are ok on ups but if hot then unclip the chin guard and clip to the hydro pack chest strap until the next DH stage and slot back in to the helmet

Great compromise. Maybe they can be a approached as a sponsor 🙂

Not cheap either though

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Having seen the damage caused by the Urge one when someone stoved their head into the ground & the chin bar tried to remove his lower lip, i’ll stick with a proper FF.

I managed to wear it flat out for 50 minutes on the Mega, i’m sure I can cope for 5 minutes on a GE stage. Cheap pisspot for the transitions, job done.

legend
    Free Member

Taz – Member
    Wonder if Casco Vipers are ok as FF?

Assuming he’ll be running to DH-style rules (which is where the UCI looks to be going) – no

shifter
    Free Member

Full face helmet will be compulsary on stages and a helmet must be worn at all times on transitions.
    The transition route will also be monitored in 2013, no short cutting of the loop, especially not being uplifted!
    Time penalties will be applied for late starters on stages and any cheating on stages, as in round 3, will result in instant DQ.
    We have been pretty leniant for the first 2 years, but some people have pushed my patience this year.
    The Industry backing for 2013 is amazing, we have support sponsors already and should have news on title sponsor very shortly. Category sponsorship will be open soon to.
    The futures bright, the futures Gravity Enduro

Thought it was a goner. Pleased it’s not. Will buy a FF if it’s a requirement and I should be buying one anyway.

One other thing:
    I WANT A T SHIRT! so I can out-gnar my mates in the pub.
    Carry on.

Taz

Hob Nob – Is the urge not a ‘normal’ FF with a large breathing gap up front?

What tried to take his lip off. Was it a bad fitting helmet?

Was ponderering getting the Archi Enduro (think that is the name) so any details you have may alter that decison 😕

legend
    Free Member

Nah it’s a skinnier design too. See the report here: http://forums.mtbr.com/utah/crash-report-urge-archi-enduro-helmet-795542.html

Taz

Bloody hell. Ouch

Hob Nob / Legend – thanks for the heads up

Bluegrass Brave now making it’s way to the top of the list

legend
    Free Member

Remember that there’s nothing to stop you removing any mesh/foam in the mouth-piece of a helmet to help get air in. Of course, there’s a chance that mud/bugs/shit will get in too but them’s the breaks

scottfitz
    Free Member

Wow not one of them then!

pedroball
    Free Member

For 31 euros you can enter the Super Enduro races, which for Finale included a street race on the Saturday night, followed by 50k of the best trails I’ve ever ridden. Okay, you need a racing licence, but with a cheap flight and accommodation its probably not much more expensive than one of the UK ones all in when you factor in they’re about £60 and travel in the UK is so damn expensive!

Heres a great vid of the other weekend to give a flavour of it. In my mind they’re just in a different league to the UK series.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Are there any other reports of those archi enduros going? That’s the only one I’ve ever heard about. Whereas I’ve heard and seen lots of normal full faces going at the chin too.

rompinrita
    Free Member

Is a Met Parachute classed as a fullface lid or not?

r17anm
    Free Member

I just returned an archi enduro to crc. On paper its just what i wanted but it was actually very uncomfortable and felt a bit cheap and flimsy i also looked a dick in it

Spaceman
    Free Member

What’s the point in having to wear a helmet on transition stages in an event like this? It’s ridiculous, how stupid would you have to be to hurt yourself cycling uphill? health and safety gone mad.

Simon

rompinrita – Member
    Is a Met Parachute classed as a fullface lid or not?

I wouldn’t have thought so.

Simon

I’ve done a few “gravity” enduros in the past and with the exception of one at Innerleithen I’ve felt comfortable racing in an XC lid.

If rule changes stipulate FF helmets and helmets to be worn on transitions I’d have to think seriously about entering any more in the future. 😐

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What’s the point in having to wear a helmet on transition stages in an event like this? It’s ridiculous, how stupid would you have to be to hurt yourself cycling uphill? health and safety gone mad.

Face/Palm

Not going to reopen the helmet debate here but are all transitions up hill? Several will be on fast fireoads, singletrack etc. Would you not wear a lid for riding those normally? It’s normal policy to wear a lid while riding in an event. Not H&S gone mad just normal.

I’ve done a few “gravity” enduros in the past and with the exception of one at Innerleithen I’ve felt comfortable racing in an XC lid.

It’s a good point, is the event going to be 5 mini dh stages with a slog in the middle? If that were the case then my money goes to an actual DH race with uplift.

wrecker
    Free Member

So, these are now just a DH race with some pedalling?
    Shame.

pedroball
    Free Member

I didn’t notice riding with full face and an XC lid on a 50k ride with 1600m climbing in 25 degrees – it really wasn’t all that bad, and made the descents more reassuring

…its what they’ve done on the continent for ages and those are the best races around?

legend
    Free Member

wrecker – Member
    So, these are now just a DH race with some pedalling?
    Shame.

No absolutely not. Inners had the most elevation but went as follows (but possibly not in this order)

S1 – Cresta DH track
    S2 – Alistair Lees Enduro track. Top half is fairly dhish but then gradually flattened right out before a short sharp climb towards the end
    S3 – fast then flat and pedally, then steep, then flat, then fireroad, then steep, then flat, then steep, etc 🙂
    S4 – down (but not dh bike worthy), then very pedally section of Inners Red, followed by the lower part of an old dh track
    S5 – Inners ‘tunnel’ which is fast but fairly flat, ‘new luge’ with race links which is hardly wild, fire road sprint/soul destroyer, Jane’s Lane (lovely non-dh bike singletrack), then the end of the Inners red XC.

The only stage that would’ve been fast on a dh bike is S1, the rest would’ve been horrid!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Legend there was a touch of Future Tense in there 🙂 If the pedaling remains then the Full Face becomes less pleasant.

wrecker
    Free Member

That sounds ace legend. The kind of thing we all enjoy riding. Without full face helmets.

legend
    Free Member

Mike, Steve has been promising that fitness will be tested even more this year……. mind you that could just be due to oxygen restricting helmets 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

legend – Member
    Mike, Steve has been promising that fitness will be tested even more this year……. mind you that could just be due to oxygen restricting helmets

That and the accurate timing 😉

Looks like it’s going to be interesting. I think the local events like the Pearce ones may be the winners as trapsing up and down the country for a series expensive.

legend
    Free Member

yeah there’s no way I could do the full series, probably just Inners, Hamsterley and maybe Eastridge. Plus the Inners winter races, anything that pops up north of the border (which currently stands at nothing)

ash

Parr – Member
    Time penalties will be applied for late starters on stages

Surely the “penalty” is simply that the clock starts ticking at a rider’s predefined start time? Or isn’t it predefined start times? (sorry, don’t know UKGE setup).

Simon

Looks like it’s going to be interesting. I think the local events like the Pearce ones may be the winners as trapsing up and down the country for a series expensive.

That’s the other thing that’s putting me off for next year, it gets expensive in both time and money taking part in a national series. Local races would be great but I think the biggest hurdle in my locality would be finding a venue.

Spaceman
    Free Member

mikewsmith, eff off with your facepalm.

If there is a downhill transition then can’t people (all responsible adults after all) make their own decisions as to their personal safety ie keep their FF helmet on, rather than having to force unnecessary H and S bullshit onto them for the great majority of the transitions which will be uphill and slow?
    I’ve been mtbing for over a decade and have never seen anyone manage to headbutt anything while riding uphill.

I saw a couple at GT a while back cycling uphill in open face helmets with full face ones strapped to their backs and it really was a wtf moment. I thought at the time ‘only at Glentress’ but it seems I was wrong.

superfli
    Free Member

Spaceman, if you are cycling in a race, you are going to have to wear a helmet, whether its uphill or downhill. The transition is still part of the race. Do you know of any UK cycle race that you dont have to wear a helmet??
    I do agree that the type of helmet you use should be your decision, but if the organisers say you have to wear FF, and the event is something I want to do, then I’ll just have to put up with it.

andyrm
    Free Member

For 31 euros you can enter the Super Enduro races, which for Finale included a street race on the Saturday night, followed by 50k of the best trails I’ve ever ridden.

Agreed – by far the best event I have ever taken part in. Enrico and his team have absolutely nailed the format.

Are there any other reports of those archi enduros going? That’s the only one I’ve ever heard about.

I think that’s a pretty one sided report and speaking to several riders, we think his helmet actually was badly fitted, hence it moving round. I have an Archi Enduro and a Down-o-Matic – both are really solid fit and the only way it could rotate on his head is if he hasn’t fitted it right. But heaven forbid someone should paint a balanced view on the internets……… 😉

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

So for a none FF wearing rider who’s never ridden a Gravity Enduro event before what would THE event to attend next year as an introduction?

The link to the Tweedlove POC King and Queen Of the Hill looks good.

Spaceman
    Free Member

I take your point Superfli but would still have to disagree.

It’s obviously a no brainer that you wear a full face helmet when racing at high speed downhill, just seems idiotic that you would have to carry a separate helmet only for cycling generally uphill, as no one will be happy wearing a full face cycling uphill for any length of time.
    So you then have to go to the trouble of carrying an open face helmet on your back while racing downhill at speed, I’d say this was more likely to cause a serious accident than cycling uphill without a helmet on. If the helmet is poorly attached and comes loose or slips it could interfere with bike control or get caught in back wheel. Also if you crash there will be an awkward shaped object on your back which could increase the chance of injury. I know these risks are small but still more likely to be a factor in a serious injury than cycling uphill bare-headed.

Northwind

superfli – Member

Do you know of any UK cycle race that you dont have to wear a helmet??

Every downhill race without an uplift! Always people riding up with their helmets attached to the bike.

Also many existing enduros- it’s hardly a new idea. At the ones I’ve done, everyone who chose a fullface was riding the transitions without helmets, and no reason not to. More likely to trip in the car park than fall off on the climbs.

superfli
    Free Member

the trip up is not part if the race in a dh event though.
    not wearing one on enduro transition, does this not affect the race organisers liability? I have seen riders not wearing them, but not sure how the organisers would take it.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘Gravity Enduro's’ is closed to new replies.