Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Gravity Dropper – which one?
  • FieldMarshall

Thinking of getting a Gravity Dropper, but unsure as to whether to go for 3" or 4" drop and remote or not.

Whilst I move my saddle up and down a lot (i.e. often), looking at the amount I move it, I think the 3" will be fine.

Will definitely get the multi, as think that would be really useful, as I normally end up riding in a position that is slightly lower than optimum for climbing so that it is low enough for the twisty stuff. So being able to have it full height for climbing and then drop it an inch would be good.

Also, can you and is it advisable to run it without the gaiter, as I think it looks unsightly.

ridethelakes
    Free Member

I got the 3 inch initially and felt it wasn't enough so on the 4 inch now. I have the turbo version, not tried the standard one.

They do need plenty of tlc, mine kept slipping down because the hole had worn slightly but a few minutes with the dremel sorted it.

Overally its been good but still looks like a pogo stick though…

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Oh and it looks worse without the gaiter belive it or not 😀

FieldMarshall

Thanks

Reliability is one of my concerns, as they are not cheap and it is hard to part with so much cash for something that you know may not last well.

Taz

Ride the lakes

How did you fix the slippage issue? I get it a bit and noticed the hole was a bit worn.

Field Marshall

Definintely go for the 4 inch drop and the multi. Use mine all the time. The 1 inch drop for the twisty pedally stuff. The 4 inch for when it gets steep and technical. TBH a 5 inch or more drop would be even better.

I have actually ordered the Rase Black Mamba. Not got it yet so cannot offer an opinion but at roughly the same price as the GD it seemed worth a punt (hopefully not an expensive mistake)

grumm
    Free Member

Get a remote – I got a non-remote i900 and while it's great (when it works) it just makes me realise how much better it would be with a remote.

Oh yeah and 4" def – my i900 has 5" drop and it's ace.

FieldMarshall

The one major drawback I can see to the GD, is that you only have set heights. And how am I to know without trying one, that they match my seatpost height requirements.

From that perspective I think the Joplin or similar would be better, as you have infinite adjustment (ignoring any reliability issues that those posts seem to have).

druidh
    Free Member

Still on my 1st Gravity Dropper and that's over 4 years old now. The only maintenance it's had has been a couple of strip/lube/cable replacements. I find the 3" drop enough and like the fact that it always returns me to my preferred height. Oh – and go for the remote.

Northwind

4 inch drop Turbo. I have a Descender, which is a Turbo without the remote, and I really regret not having the remote- it's good enough to make me realise what I'm missing 🙄 I could buy the parts to upgrade it I suppose, but I think I'll get a Turbo. Might get the multi-position, not sure.

Regarding the 3 inch drop, I've never once dropped mine and then thought "Oh, I wish it was an inch higher" but there's been times when I wish it was lower, and I'm sure that'd happen a lot more with the 3".

Oh, and for strength and reliability, let's just say I trust it 😉

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Taz – the hole wears away allowing the stopper to slip out. You just use the dremel to grind away the worn bit so that it is a perfect hole again albeit bigger than the one before.

Taz

Thank's Ride the lakes.

Was thinking of doing that but feared it may end in tears. Will give it a go.

Field Marshall – never said this originally but I would echo everyone's coments on remote. No brainer for me that it helps you get the most out of the dropper type post

bonesetter
    Free Member

I have turbo 1&4" on the fly adjustment types on my bikes and don't think I would like to be without an adjustable seatpost now. I use it many times on a ride.

I am tall, and these type of posts are even more important for tallies. I prefer the Gravity Dropper brand, but there are a bunch of others out there. This will change your life in a big and good way. Instantly, your COG can go 4 inches lower, so if I am not climbing, or needing a lot of power on the flats, that seat stays down.

I sometimes let my more normal (and shorter) friends try my bikes. Many times I just put the saddle down and lo and behold it is at the proper height for them. This means the handling they experience all the time is something I need to put my saddle 4 inches down to experience. Folks with lower saddles already may not get the dropper thing, but I guarantee it will change your riding experience for the better

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Do people think the 1" drop in the multi posts is worth it? It seems to me that it would slow down the process of dropping the seat out of the way? Is it useful, or one of those things you think will be great, but turns out not to be?

bonesetter
    Free Member

I use the 1" down alot.

Mainly for singletrack. All the way up is for max efficiency on the climb and then all the way down for max gnarl 😀

dreednya

The 1" drop I find to be the most useful for looning round trail centres. It drops your body into the frame more and aids grip. body shifts have a greater affect as well with easier hopping and jumping (or so it seems). I've got the 1 and 4 inch drop version (was on a Heckler and now on a Mojo) and only really use the 4" drop on DH tracks or uber steep stuff.

st

4" non remote single height drop one for me.

The remote would be handy but involves routing a cable and having another lever on the bars which seems more faff than it's worth.

Single height drop as when you need to drop the saddle you drop it. If you only need to drop by 1" then do you need to drop at all? Really?
    If you're going down supper steep silly stuff drop it then use your seat qr.

Sorted.

mk1fan
    Free Member

I have a 4-inch Descender post but will be adding another hole to give me a 1-inch drop.

Stood up to the Mega this year just fine – although the 1-inch drop would have been helpful.

freeride_addict
    Free Member

another vote for the 4" multi-drop version. Remote has to be essential, surely? Especially on an unknown trail, you may have already started your descent before realising you need to drop the seat. Doing that one handy on a techy rock-fest has got to be asking for trouble?!

Oh and personally i LIKE the idea of having fixed drop-heights. The actual amount of drop is not critical if you ask me, as long as you get exactly the same thing every time, you can adjust to it.

I recall when I used to have a normal quick release seatpost, it'd take me several goes to find that "sweet spot" of height, every single time (because you could adjust it to an infinite number of different heights, and I never got around to marking my preferences out on the seatpost!).

bonesetter
    Free Member

Yes, dropping to a fixed height is important (the 1"). I din't think I would like a multi position

mansonsoul
    Free Member

mk1fan – you mentioned adding another hole to give you a 1" drop. Is that all it takes to make a single drop into a multi drop? is it that easy?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I've got a i900 remote, broken the remote lever twice it the seatpost always gets stuck after a few rides ir during a ride in the wet or winter..so IMO there a waste of money, unless you don;t mind stripping it down after each ride to keep it in tip top condition. A m8 got the latest version and he's having the same trouble. Put a home made protective collar around the post to protect it and go for the lever under the seat version, a tad more reliable. Otherwise get off and lower your seat.

Northwind

Or get one that isn't s**t 😉 Which is why we've all got Gravity Droppers. They're ugly, they're clunky, they're agricultural but they work.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Gravity Dropper – which one?’ is closed to new replies.