Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • gravity dropper / joplin / i900 seatposts
  • younggeoff

Toying with the idea of one of these,what are peoples views / cheapest place to get them

grumm
    Free Member

Got an i900 cheap from xxcycle in france. Love it apart from it drops slightly without depressing the lever. xxcycle not responding to my emails so far. 🙁

votchy
    Free Member

Got a 4″ drop gravity dropper, works fine and was warrantied without any hassle when I had a problem, I like the benefits and not worried about the slight weight penalty, do change it for a Thomson for things like Mayhem where it wouldn’t get used.

grumm
    Free Member

I do really like the ability to drop the seatpost, you can get it really low, quite a bit lower than I could with a normal seatpost. Makes steep techy downhills and jumps etc seem a lot less scary.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Yeah second the comments here – I love mine to bits (I have a 3″ ahem, Joplin, so to speak matron) and would never go back. But then it does suit my style of riding, which tends to be aggresive and flat out on anything that’s remotely downward pointing. I use it all the time, even on stuff that’s not remotely steep because that’s just how I like to ride – I am almost always out of the saddle and trying to get as low and centred as possible and that’s only possible with the seat out of the way. I think that if I only ever intended it to be for very steep sections, I might not feel the value so much because they aren’t cheap, even the less costly ones are well over a ton.

Junkyard
    Free Member

have a GD and a maverick prefer the Maverick. No one needs a 5 ” drop IMHO Prefer the full ajustability of Maverick and i900 is cheaper than th eother two options iirc.
    Very few people who use one go back to a standard post afterwards
    Remote is useful but not essential

the_lecht_rocks

i have an almost new joplin R 31.6mm for sale if any use ?

younggeoff

Hi the-lecht pics and price to younggeoffATfsmailDOTnet please interested in the joplin if it’s a remote one

Rickos
    Free Member

I’d say the remote on these posts is very useful unless you know exactly where you’re going and what’s coming up so you can drop before the downy gnarly bit. If you ride different spots or ride with mates in their area then the remote is well useful – it’s not nice taking a hand off the bars to adjust the height once your travelling at speed down something a bit lairy! It gauls me to say that as I hate seeing extra cables, but I’d go remote every time now.

craig1975
    Free Member

Ive got the i900, Ive had it for a couple of months now and I’m not overly impressed with it, It seems to get stuck and wont go down when I want it to, plus its very notchy. I end up having to get off the bike to adjust it, which defeats the purpose if you ask me. Ive pulled it apart and serviced it as per the instructions, worked grate for one ride then stops working again, IMO a waist of money!!

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

beware of lateral rotation and dodgy bearings/seals on the joplin, you might want to cover it with an old inner tube or shock boot if riding in muddy stuff.

Rickos
    Free Member

P.S. Got a Gravity Dropper direct from the man himself in the States. Arrived exactly 1 week from ordering and he labelled the value as $45 so no customs tax. Very happy with it so far.

Moda
    Free Member

My i900 is in Taiwan being inspected with a few others… The tests in the mags… hmmm do you really believe them. I have owned all 3 and had issues now with all of them TBH…

The seals on the Joplin are definately not up to it, My gravity dropper kept getting stuck even though serviced and the I900 sideways movement quite severe developed after probably 5 rides

Moda
    Free Member

Grumm – forgot to add i had that but then tightened up the red collar (only by hand) and was told to loctite it 🙄

druidh
    Free Member

The Gravity Dropper “stuck” problem is usually resolved by loosening off the top collar 1/4 turn. I’ve had mine over two years and never had a problem with it yet.

Popocatapetl

I bought an I900 remote post from SSC in August. It worked fine initially until the winter appeared. It doesn’t like being cold and has to be well cleaned and lubed after every ride. i have found that the best cleaning agent/lube is (Gasp, shock, horror!) 3 in 1 professional spay oil. Remove the top red collar, clean seals, spray lube around shaft, depress and release 10 times or so, wipe off gunge, job done. Mine hasn’t developed any lateral play yet. it is a real godsend and i wouldn’t ride without it now. I ride in the Peaks and it makes descents a breeze, then a quick press of the lever and i’m back to XC mode, plus it looks quite flash as well! (I’ve seen you all saying “Flash B****tard” every time i shoot past you in a gaggle putting your posts back up! My moto: if you’ve got it spend it or the Wife will !!!!!!

guido

My i900 sucks. notchy, 1-2 com of play, it twists as it goes up and down and it gets stuck. The cable is also held in place by a tiny grub screw and keeps pulling out. i have emailed real cycles about it a few times- it would be fair to say that they dont want me to send it back- they keep saying to keep using it so the grease gets moved arond….

but despite all this i love it- it really helps me keep ‘flow’.

guido

should also say that it only gets stuck if its cold outside!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘gravity dropper / joplin / i900 seatposts’ is closed to new replies.