Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • gravity dropper help.
  • scottfitz
    Free Member

The bottom cap is seized in my gravity dropper, anyone had this happen? Any ideas to get it out?

singlespeedstu

I’d start by taking all the moving parts out from the top to get rid of any pressure on it.
    VERY CAREFULLY.

scottfitz
    Free Member

All moving parts are already out.

chiefgrooveguru

I don’t have any suggestions other than to suggest you leave it there – why does it need to come out?

Northwind

Man has a point.

But, if you really really want it out… Have you already damaged the hole/hex in the puck? Or is it just properly stuck? If the latter, sling it in a tub of diesel for a day or so for maximum unseizium, try again. (try turning it both ways) If that fails, little bit of gentle blowtorch.

If you’ve damaged it already… Big easy-out would probably do the job, or the time-honoured hammer-in-a-torq. It’s just a rest for the spring so doesn’t have to come out in great condition.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Dropper is not full extending any more, I have cleaned and regrease all the top moving parts but not sorted it. I reckon there is some crap in the lower bit, so I want get the bottom cap out to give it a clean and regrease it. Hex bit is still in tacked, I have tried turning both ways. I will try and heat it up.

chiefgrooveguru

Easier to pressure wash / hose it out and shove a bottle washer / stick with rag down there?

grahamt1980

Maybe perforate drill it, that way you can pull it away from the threads from the inside.

scottfitz
    Free Member

If you take the runners out can you get the spring out of the top?

singlespeedstu

If everything is out and it still won’t move i’d just clean it out with it still in there.

If it’s not extending up enough to stay up i’d be looking at the top bush and inner spring on the actuator pin.

kimbers

im not sure you can scott, theres a plastic spacer in there somewhere, it may have got wedged?

skyline cycles at afan are the Uk service centre for GD if you fancy a trip!

chiefgrooveguru

I thought you said you’d taken everything out already? 😉 If you unscrew the top cap and operate the remote you can remove everything. I’ve just done that with a Turbo LP to swap the outer tube for a smaller diameter. Took my old Classic apart a year ago for its first strip and clean and bushing change and did that all from the top because the bottom cap didn’t want to move!

What do you mean by runners? Have your bushes come out or something? The inside of the outer tube is a plain tube with one hole for the pin and two grooves for the bushes to run in. There’s a plastic cap that sits on the top of the spring which should move freely.

singlespeedstu

As said up there if you remove the top cap and operate the pin everything comes out the top (including the spring and two plastic caps.)

scottfitz
    Free Member

Yep sorry I mean bushes. If will take them out and the give it a clean from the top, cheers singlespeedstu

scottfitz
    Free Member

Ok need more help, I clearly not doing it right!! I have cleaned and regressed it all and I still can’t get the full extension. I only get full drop and 1 inch drop. Any ideas???

chiefgrooveguru

Hmmm… Have you emailed Gravity Dropper themselves? sales@gravitydropper.com – they know their tech stuff.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Will do, cheers

warpcow
    Free Member

Are you screwing the lockring on too tight? It’ll stop it from latching in the top position. Info is in one of the troubleshooting bits on their website.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Email I sent to them:

I have cleaned and regressed my Gravity dropper classic multi, I can’t get it to lock in full extension position. I only get full drop and 1 inch drop. If I adjusts the top cap #52 I can only get full extension & 1 inch drop and not Full drop.

rockhopperbike

I had a bit of messing around with my turbo LP version- the top cap has to be tightened “just enough” – too tight and it won’t fully extend, too loose and it won’t fully drop- have a play nothing to loose- when I got mine right I wrapped the cap to the lower section with a bit of plumbers tape – so it doesn’t come loose

roverpig

Yes, I’d start with that top cap too. When I first took mine apart I just assumed that you had to put it back on fairly tight and was confused when it wouldn’t lock in the up position. In fact it isn’t tight at all and you adjust it by hand so that it locks in all position.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘gravity dropper help.’ is closed to new replies.