Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Gravity 3D..…..is it as good as they say it is?
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

Thinking about going tomorrow, but just checking it’s worth it before I spend £30 on a couple of tickets? Be nice to have some “real world” reviews.

DickBarton

Went to see it last night, thought it was brilliant. Thankfully I’m not a scientist or space know-it-all, so the holes in the plot that I saw were very obvious but also part of the ‘cinematic experience’…it was great.

Managed to get myself totally engrossed in it and twice found myself about to stand up and shout at the screen to help them!!!

scandalous
    Free Member

desperate to go

joolsburger
    Free Member

I saw a trailer of it at the Imax Waterloo today (was watching Thor 2) it looks pretty bloody good so am going to book tickets.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Ooooo Jools, is Thor 2 as good as the first one? (Sorry for hijack)

Jolsa

Saw it in IMAX 3d today, thought it was excellent. 3d done well, a soundtrack that really boosted the intensity.

A while since a film has got me so absorbed. With all the stress I was surprised to see Sandra Bullock looking so fresh when she took off her spacesuit 🙂

richmtb

Saw it today.

In IMAX its half film half fairground ride. The 3d is absoultely immense I actually ducked a couple of times.

Go and see ti you won’t regret it.

allthepies
    Free Member

I was surprised to see Sandra Bullock looking so fresh when she took off her spacesuit

spoiler 😉

choppersquad
    Free Member

That’s decided it then. Tickets all booked. Thanks guys.

Jolsa

spoiler

😳

joolsburger
    Free Member

joolsburger
    Free Member

Thor was good better than the first. If you can get yourself to the BFI IMAX there really isn’t anything like it. I reckon gravity will be amazing.

arrpee
    Free Member

SPOILERS!

(Obviously)

Just saw it in IMAX 3D.

Fell apart in the last act for me. All gets a bit soapy. Bullock’s performace (good up until that point) just gets a bit wooden and the script gets a bit cheesy. Also, the escape via the Chinese space station stretched credulity just a bit too far.

BUT

The film looks utterly stunning; first time I’ve actually enjoyed viewing a film in 3D. The debris storms are absolutely dizzying.

First two acts are genuinely tense fun, so don’t let me put you off. I’ve got a low cringe threshold.

kimbers

Just got back from Thor 2 , wasn’t expecting much but it was brilliant just a really well done fantasy film with a great cast and great fx

The feel toro guardians of the galaxy tease after the credits was a bit bonkers

Gonna try see gravity later this week if it’s better than Thor I’ll be impressed

DT78
    Free Member

I was pretty underwhelmed. The 3d was good. That’s about it. Now if they would remake aliens in 3d….

athgray
    Free Member

Aliens in 3d would be great. Have not seen Gravity although looks good. A lot of films at the minute seen to sacrifice plot and character for the 3d element.

IdleJon

athgray – Member
    A lot of films at the minute seen to sacrifice plot and character for the 3d element

A lot of films have sacrificed character for the Sandra Bullock element.

choppersquad
    Free Member

As Jim Bowen used to say…”you can’t beat a bit of Bullock”

alcolepone
    Free Member

arrpee, spot on review

go see it in imax in 3D, and enjoy the ride, its good but not as good as everyone seems to make out

nosedive
    Free Member

just seen thor with my boy. top fun. definitely the best of the marvel stuff. gravity pencilled in for next week. cant wait!

batfink
    Free Member

I saw it this weekend at the imax – thought it was excellent. First film I’ve seen for a while that lived-up to the hype.

Even the missus commented that Sandy was “in great shape”….. which prompted some internet research – she’s 49 😯

IdleJon

batfink – Member

Even the missus commented that Sandy was “in great shape”….. which prompted some internet research – she’s 49

I understood the whole film to be CGI? 🙂

Speeder

Went to see it on Saturday and while I’m sure there are holes in the plot you could drive a space station through, I thought it was excellent. One of the most impressive things I thought was that there are only 2 actors in the whole movie and I can’t think of any other film that has had that kind of setup.

George was predictably great at being himself or at least the character we know and SB was against all my expectations, pretty good.

Was proper impressed.

BigJohn

I saw it on Saturday at the Electric in Birmingham. You can sit on a big settee there and they come and serve you beer during the film.

It was a really good strong and absorbing cinematic experience. Don’t fuss about the individual details, we all enjoyed the evening as a whole. But that also included a curry at Al Faisals and a couple of drinks at the Victoria beforehand.

back2basics
    Free Member

@arrpee sums it up perfectly – went to see it last night. could have done without more tense-ness space stuff and having her leave via the ISS than having the whole chinese space station, i mean are these all “parked” next to each other or what.

also. could have done with out the lens splatter, cheap effect for me.

boltonjon

Brilliant film – really really good

Tense, funny, stunning filming and great characters

The best 3D movie i’ve seen since Jaws 3D 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Saw it at a regular cinema, not IMAX. 3D irritating and distracting. Stupid Hollywood religious nonsense towards the end.

Otherwise – visually impressive but better in 2D I suspect, and Sandra Bullock in skivvies. Oh yes.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Saw it at a regular cinema, not IMAX. 3D irritating and distracting. Stupid Hollywood religious nonsense towards the end.

Otherwise – visually impressive but better in 2D I suspect, and Sandra Bullock in skivvies. Oh yes.

Surprisingly it’s not better in 2D. I’ve seen it in both and generally find 3D films to be unpleasant but gravity didn’t suffer from light loss that most 3D films do and didn’t rely on just small floaty 3D things or flashing images jumping out of the screen out at you. Unlike the 2D version in 3D the film is far more absorbing and relies on an almost constant 3D image. It’s still good in 2D but not the same.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

didn’t suffer from light loss that most 3D films do and didn’t rely on just small floaty 3D things or flashing images jumping out of the screen out at you

Strangely, that’s exactly what I thought it did suffer from and rely on…

Pays yer money and takes yer choice, I guess…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

POTENTIAL SPOILERS (attempted to avoid but worth warning)

saw it, loved it, thought the 3D worked (as per other thread, wasnt a fan in Life of Pi), seemed to have decent depth rather than finding myself focussing on the foreground detail. Would like to see it again on an IMAX. Great soundtrack too.

Theres only so many outcomes you can have with such a limited cast in peril, I “get” some of the criticisms above about developments but it still came in at 90 minutes so was hardly stretched out, and in a hollywood disaster movie you expect cheese and heartstrings to be yanked at.

SB still looks fantastic at 49 and (whether you think it deserves it or not) is surely going to get an Oscar nomination. I did struggle with NOT seeing clooney as Buzz Lightyear though!

choppersquad
    Free Member

Glad I went because it really was pretty damned good. Can’t imagine seeing it in 2D as the 3D was amazing. Also not really sure how it will work on DVD when it comes out? Would love to have seen it at an imax. How much does it cost to see a film at imax anyway? It cost us nearly £15 each to see it at a normal Odeon. I remember….back in the day….when it was £3 to see a film….

legend
    Free Member

£12 each for Glasgow Science Centre (Cineworld) IMAX last night

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Saw it this afternoon, thought it was excellent, very claustrophobic film.

The 3d was also great. Almost made me forgive SB for all her other films…

noteeth
    Free Member

Almost made me forgive SB for all her other films

I’d forgive her for anything, anything at all. 😳

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Saw it in 2d

Human interest: 7.5
    Spacewalks and hardware: 10
    Musical Score: 8
    Credibility of plot: 5

Overall, it’s a worthwhile film.

(I’m a space system developer)

soops
    Free Member

I saw it last night and really enjoyed it.
    I have told most people I know who have not seen it to go and see it.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I enjoyed it – dont expect a 2001 or Solaris (or even an Apollo 13) but it was a decent way to spend a couple of hours at the cinema.

I normally dislike 3d films too – this it the first one ive seen that has made me think it can be a worthwhile method of filming rather than an overpriced, over rated gimmick.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Its good but deserved better acting..

mrchrispy

just got back from it, not bad….not a great file but not bad.

**** SPOILER ****
    Was I the only one thinking the 3D shot looking up at her at the end made her chebs look great!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Gravity 3D..…..is it as good as they say it is?’ is closed to new replies.