Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Gravelly monstercrossy thing for commutering?
  • wrecker
    Free Member

I am looking for a fun-ish bike for commuting and maybe even a bit of tamer MTB stuff (FOD XC type)
    As I’m pretty much MTB only, I was thinking that I’d feel a bit more at home with a comfy bike with squishy tyres etc anyway.
    I have fallen quite deeply for the Kona Sutra LTD, alas it’s a bit out of the CTW range.
    Would anyone have any suggestions or advice about this type of bike given the context?
    Thanks!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Fargo, a Salso Fargo.

core

Genesis Vagabond?

hooja
    Free Member

Yep….Fargo

I am loving mine, hardly used it sensibly yet, they are awesome on trail centre terrain, no problem thrashing the hell out of it but it could easily become a calm, comfy mile muncher too

Possibly…. best bike i have owned
    Although, definitely out of the ctw range, sorry

wrecker
    Free Member

Fargo is a bit pricey though?
    Vagabond looks OK but doesn’t seem exceptional value?

ajantom

Have a look for 2016 ones in the sales. Slightly better components and can be had for £700-750.
    At that price they become a lot better value.

Here for example.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

for value have a look at pinnacle range at Evans (their own brand)
    lithium i think is the one i’m thinking of.
    mtb geo frame, steel forks, basically a rigid 29er set up for the road.
    in searching for bikes for 2 or 3 different pals, have all ended up on a pinnacle and very happy

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m quite taken with the vagabond, especially if I can get one on sale. Just wish it has bolt thru, I have an irrational dislike of QR.

RustyNissanPrairie

Norco Search – I have the older steel framed model and it’s brilliant. Good vfm. Gets used for commuting via either tarmac or full off-road scenic route home sorta stuff

wrecker
    Free Member

Lovely rocketdog. Build it yourself?

rOcKeTdOg

not mine

djflexure

No specific help from met other than to say I have just converted a 29er (Yeti Big Top) which did not get used that much to drop bar with Gevenalle shifters, Hylex brakes and Travers Prong fork. Quite an outlay but the end result is great and I’m out on it more than any other bike at present. Ideal for my 30 mile commute which is a mixture of country lanes and canals.

wrecker
    Free Member

Can we see it please dj?
    I’m seriously considering grabbing a rigid steel 29er and popping some drops on it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m thinking the same too, there’s a blog on the Singular site from when the Gryphon was dropped where Sam explains why and points out the Swift was always intended for drops if you go down a size. Thinking of just picking up an inbred or something.

birdage

Had a Swift with drops a size smaller than I could have got away with and imo it’s not as good as the Gryphon. Obviously stems and seatposts make a difference but the Gryphon just feels right and suits me better in drop form. Peregrine was also nearly there but too heavy and too much toe overlap.

djflexure

This was it before I sprinted into a bollard

After

Now gone 2×10, with the Gevenalle shifters and bought some Travers which seems marginally better than the Exotics. Will take a pic and post next time I’m out. S/S while fine off road was a ball ache for road sections. Now seems ideal for long days out. The drops (cow chippers) are perfect. Plan to use it at HONC and the Lakes Jennride.

wrecker
    Free Member

I was thinking of grabbing one of these;
    https://www.whyte.bike/629
    Pop a rigid fork on it, some drops etc. Be golden I bet!
    Shame it’s alu, but steel seems to be at a premium.
    I have seen the price of brakelevershifter things!! Shit the bed!!!
    It’s the compatibility thing I’m struggling with i.e; would a set of SRAM brakelevershifters work with those level calipers and that NX mech?

Still looking around though.

Shame that comic escapade road plus thing is so expensive. I’d have jumped at that, it’s nearly perfect.

LOVING that yeti, well the before pic anyway.

djflexure

Bar end shifters would be much cheaper. The Gevenalle’s work really well though. I just signed up for a bit more work to pay for them and thought sod it.

Alu is great – nice and light.

motozulu
    Free Member

Blimey – beauty is in the eye of the beholder…an all that. Fair play to you blokes an all that. Never seen it myself but then again I don’t have to commute.

wrecker
    Free Member

😀

djflexure

Never said it was beautiful to look at, and the Big Top was not Yeti’s best looking frame; but I’ve got used to it now. Fantastic to ride over any distance compared to standard flat bar bike. Better for going fast too IMO.

It is broken in the second pic 🙁

motozulu
    Free Member

8) Fair play mate. If you love it – then that’s good enough.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Arkose?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Gravelly monstercrossy thing for commutering?’ is closed to new replies.