Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • gravel/cross/adventure/commuter for a big un?
  • ton

fancying a new bike to commute mainly but also to do a bit of everything on.
    i have a disc trucker, which needs a overall. but would love something new.

idea’s.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I came across this the other day, which might interest you…
    http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/marin-four-corners-2016-9688-p.asp

Potentially clearance for 29×2.1 tyres! 😯 😈

slparsons
    Free Member

Specialized Awol/Sequoia?

scotroutes

AWOL is a good call. A bit heavy and feels cumbersome when wheeling it around but really, really smooth to ride. We’ve had a few through the shop and they really are very nice.

hatter

The Genesis Croix de Fer range has a grand tradition of being built like proverbial brick outhouses and are good for big lads like us.

My 931 stainless jobbie is rock solid and has options for racks, guards big(ish) tyres etc, the standard steel versions are much better value though.

crazybaboon

How about my Kinesis Crosslight 5T frameset?
    Brand new £200, size 63cm

jonnyboi

I have an N+1 itch for the Sonder Camino flat bar. Worth a look

funkmasterp

Genesis vagabond?

epicyclo

I recommend a 29er with a steep HA and set it up for road use. Shand or Singular would be a good place to start.

I use 2.35″ Big Apple slicks on my 29er set up like that. I won’t win the TdF on it*, but it’s brilliant for 100mile+ days, and as they usually involve about half of that on gravel tracks, I reckon it’s a well proven idea. (Basically a 1910 bike revisited).

Big tyres are a revelation on the road. Great for screaming past cars on wet corners down the Bealach na Bah, endless grip for corners and braking.

*Nor any other bike, but I’m sure you get the idea.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Croix de fer Ton. As already said, bulletproof. Strong and sturdy. Now running wtb nano’s (700×40). Today I rode swinley red trail, then rode into town on the road.

Bit more gravel / touring orientated so more upright feel (as opposed to proper crosser or road bike).

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Also yeah as epicyclo suggests a 29er with big apples is also a good option if you prefer flat bars. Before getting the croix I had (and still have) a 69er set up with big apples (2.35) which is not actually much slower at all on my 11 mile commute. Here it is in winter mode….. Cheap as chips too! About £250 all in.

The cotic roadrat is another option which I like the look of.

Andy

Most of these recommended are a bit noodly for a big guy Ton. I’d look at something similar to the Jones but a bit more “agile” for a clydesdale. Something like the Swift you had in road mode or a Rooster or Ogre or ECR, but running big slicks. Hmm but none of these are more agile than the Jones id guess. The LHT is a pretty brilliant bike as a commuter though.

ElShalimo

Has anyone got a Marin Four Corners?
    They look like a nice do it all bike. Any idea what they weigh?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘gravel/cross/adventure/commuter for a big un?’ is closed to new replies.