Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Gravel/Adventure Frame Question
  • robh

Is there such a thing as a canti/v brake gravel frame, looking for something a but more comfortable than my current racy Kenisis cross light for gentle off road stuff, have nice wheels and group set so didn’t want to go disc, although like the look of the Space Chicken.

joemmo
    Free Member

seems a bit unlikely seeing as the whole ‘gravel’ trend thing is post-disc but you might find some less aggressive canti-brake cyclocross frames – which for your stated purpose would be ok I would imagine.

What’s the issue with the crosslight frame though? Is it the short headtube? If so then a shorter stem with more rise could change your riding position to be more upright, if that’s what you’re after. I had a Pro5 and ran my stem in the up position just to lift the bars a bit as the kinesis frames have quite a head-down sort of geometry. Later changed to the Pro6 disc in a larger size to get a bit more upright.

boxelder

Kona Jake – oldish ones are cheap S Hand

robh

Cross light low and long and just find it a little harsh, going to try some shallower bars and a shorter more upright stem, but just wondering if there were other frames to consider.

aP
    Free Member

An older Dawes Galaxy with racks and mudguards removed would probably do what you want.
    You could always get it resonated with a fashionable paint job and no one would know.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Focus Mares, if you can find one someone wants to sell.

I’ve been looking for some time now, but all the canti bikes are so good the owners don’t want to sell them..

epicyclo

Dare I suggest a Pompino?

Perfectly good on gravel roads.

Put a decent set of wheels on, a carbon fork and you’re good to go.

The Dawes Galaxy is a good suggestion – nice quality steel, a well proven design and well worth a repaint (it will be hard to find one that hasn’t done tens of thousands of miles).

joemmo
    Free Member

Cross light low and long and just find it a little harsh, going to try some shallower bars and a shorter more upright stem, but just wondering if there were other frames to consider.

Yes I’d look at your riding position and tyres first. They’ll have more influence than Frame material. Try a shorter, shallower and wider bar too, it’ll help move your weight off your hands a bit.

Jerm

I have an All City Macho Man which probably matches your requirements. Heavy fork though.

schmiken

Touring bike?

robh

Cheers for the advice all, going to play around with stems and bars to see if it helps.

Bez

Cross Check seems the obvious nomination. Fork is pretty flexible (at least it is with my weight on it) which is, aside from wider tyres, what you want for comfort.

epicyclo

Amazed no one has mentioned the Pashleys made in Britain.

These are the sort of bikes you would have been out on the mountains on before the mtb was invented.

This one with discs and an Alfine has all bases covered IMO – good enough to do the likes of the Corrieyairack.

Being a retro model myself, I’d prefer the Clubman and put cx tyres on it. A 3 speed S-A hub is the essence of simplicity. One speed for the mountains, one for the road, and one for downhill and tailwinds. What more could you want? 🙂

joemmo
    Free Member

These are the sort of bikes you would have been out on the mountains on before the mtb was invented

..and thank heavens they were 🙂

not my cup of tea but i can appreciate the vintage look.

epicyclo

Too late for Edit.

Pashley also do the above with those dangly gear changing devices called derailleurs – you can get full Campag if you want.

There’s also a left field gravel bike. The Guv’nor or Speed 5. It’s made from 531, so good quality and you could stick a substantial grippy tyre in there.

Before you dismiss them, bear in mind the original design and shape of that bike was the design used when all bikes were “gravel bikes”. Intrepid folk did trans-continental rides on no roads in Australia and USA with more or less that design.

I’d be tempted to replace the Westwood rims eventually. Although they are not as rigid as a modern double wall they are gentler on the tubes if you rim strike and they are easy to straighten. I know that from having done thousands of miles on them on rough surfaces and ridden them harshly in my impetuous youth.

BTW does anyone know if Pashley sell framesets?

13thfloormonk

OP I had the same question as you. If you’re genuinely looking for a lightweight gravel bike (i.e. a bit less racey than a CX bike but less tourer-y than a tourer) that takes cantis, then something custom, or a Van Nicholas Amazon?

Scotroutes on here has one, I took a look but couldn’t afford. Think it weighs 2kg-ish with fork but website isn’t entirely clear on that point.

Maybe a future bike for me…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Older Spesh Tricross?

Galaxy would be nicer. Late 80’s, early 1990s are a good vintage and often a bargain.

scotroutes

I do indeed have an Amazon – though I run mine with disks. I’ve no idea what the frame weighs either 😀

OP – a lot of the gravel/adventure market is using/specifying wider tyres. That’s where disks open up so many more options as you’re not then having to think about caliper/tyre clearance.

13thfloormonk

Although for what it’s worth, a set of mini-vs will clear a 40c tyre with guards..

kerley
    Free Member

Surly Cross Check

redstripe
    Free Member

Had a thread a few months ago about this and revamping a Dawes Galaxy from the 90’s, seem to have deleted most of pics bar this one:

WTB Nano 40’s fitted fine

scotroutes

13thfloormonk – Member
    Although for what it’s worth, a set of mini-vs will clear a 40c tyre with guards..

Yeah, I was more thinking about 650mm rims and 47mm tyres. I’ve not gone down that route yet but I should have an old set of Hope XC hubs that could repurposed once I get my loaner bike back from MoseyMTB.

epicyclo

scotroutes – Member
    Yeah, I was more thinking about 650mm rims and 47mm tyres.

I reckon some of the older 27″/700c tourers with plenty clearance for mudguards could easily handle a 650b rim and 50mm tyres.

That would be a game changer.

scotroutes

I reckon some of the older 27″/700c tourers with plenty clearance for mudguards could easily handle a 650b rim and 50mm tyres.
    That would be a game changer.
    [/quote]Would the brake pads line up with the rims though? I’m guessing there would be some options available.

epicyclo

scotroutes – Member
    Would the brake pads line up with the rims though? I’m guessing there would be some options available.

Good point. I tend to think of drum brakes, so hadn’t considered that. I can think of a few ways to do a bodge conversion to make the brakes fit, but ideally you’d re-braze the canti mounts or make an alternative mount.

moorsey72
    Free Member

Either all city macho man, or if you really want to treat yourself pop into rourkes and get one built to suit 😀

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Gravel/Adventure Frame Question’ is closed to new replies.