Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • 'Gravel' wheels to replace Axis Classics on a Diverge?
  • roger_mellie

Axis classic disc wheels on my Spesh Diverge are the worse for wear. LBS have serviced them as best they can but apparently they’re fairly worn and the recommendation was to replace in due course, although i was assured they would keep rolling for many miles in their current state. Not worth rebuilding the rims on replacement hubs, I’m told.
    I did naff all maintenance on them for the year I’ve been riding them. Bad me.
    The front is quite ‘wobbly’ and I’m noticing it on rides now.
    Budget is prob < £200 for replacements (pair).
    My riding is mainly road with actual gravel bridleways/ tracks.
    Cartridge better than cup and cone, or not necessarily? (bearing in mind my laissez-faire attitude to maintenance).
    Quick bit of googling suggests Mavic Aksium may be reasonable?

link

Any other suggestions?
    Cheers in advance.

deepreddave
    Free Member

If they’re disc then someone was selling some Axis on here recently for £90.

antigee

bump – I’d suggest these if not a big biffer as 28spoke possibly a little risque on gravel – in budget, recommended on here a while back and got a pair and am quite happy with them

https://www.merlincycles.com/pro-build-chosen-hub-alex-cx28-road-cx-disc-wheel-700c-81721.html

take care various options plus qr adapters on wheel spares page – caution note?? don’t some diverges have a one off specialized rear hub?? something to do with short chainstay crank clearance ??

Mavic askiums are popular and will do the job

as to sealed versus balls – i’d guess majority of wheels are sealed cartridge – can be a pain to change bearing/source correct ones but then again I rarely remember to service the cup and cone wheels I do have but its easy and predictable – and on cup and cone as favoured by shimano might also end up having to buy centrelock disks – which can be a whole world of pain

roger_mellie

Thanks antigee, that’s very helpful. I’ll take note on the various options 🙂

deepreddave – I’d rather not replace with the same again, but yes, they are dics.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘'Gravel' wheels to replace Axis Classics on a Diverge?’ is closed to new replies.