Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Gravel drives (not resin bound) – Experiences?
  • Ponty

I’m contemplating having a gravel driveway at my new build home.

Its a large area, approx 180m2 so is going to be expensive to tarmac/block pave etc. 120m2 of It runs around the side of the house but is unlikely to be driven on frequently.

I like the idea of having some or possibly all of it as a gravel driveway, and plan to use plastic grid sections to give load bearing and reduce migration of the gravel etc. For example http://www.matsgrids.co.uk/gravel-grids/152-gravel-driveway-grids-black-5060423910107.html

It has few benefits being permeable and perfect for the DIY’er, but I wonder how well it works as a driveway in practice?

Is it stable under foot, especially with heals (the wife I may add), do the stones shift and end up needing raking.

Any experience or thoughts on its suitability or alternatives appreciated

Thanks

swedishmatt
    Free Member

I’ve got gravel on plastic grids and that cost sub 1000 all in
    .Grids from Amazon (black).

Excellent for parking cars – there’s no “give” and is very solid . With regards to high heels should probably work unless stilettos.

I got 9 bags but used two for covering holes I had to dig (sodden ground). So 7 big 800kg bags for 40 sqm.

Btw you need angular gravel 20mm. Angular keeps them in place and 20mm stops them from getting stuck in your tyres

Ponty

Thanks SwedishMatt, good to hear.

Came across some Core Gravel grids who even show someone walking with stilettos on without issue?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oOJmNwpF4M[/video]
    [video]https://vimeo.com/18678323[/video]

Website shows kids on scooters and bikes etc so looks like this is an options after all.

Daffy

The one at our rented place was okay, but as there was a single path for cars, it relatively quickly (6-9months) rutted and needed raking.

Almost impossible to jack a car on it safely.

The pram had to be wheeled backwards and was eventually replaced with a chariot.

Dirt. The amount of dirt that was blown, walked, drifted into the house was astounding.

Never again if I have a choice.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Did our driveway last week with Forest of Dean gravel, £60 for a builders bag, approx 160m2 and used 15 bags, very pleased with the result.

Ponty

Good feedback so far 2:1 for and against 🙂

How do you find the carrying in of dirt/dust?

Pictures would be good.

Thanks

flashinthepan
    Free Member

We have gravel. maybe just a little bigger than 20mm.

It does migrate

It does break up and pack down.

You may well get some weeds

Overall? Worth paying for block paving IMO

swedishmatt
    Free Member

No dust when the gravel has been rained on etc.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

The gravel doesnt migrate if you use plastic grids.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Oh and you need weed membrane

chakaping
    Free Member

Had gravel on our old driveway, only a small one but had zero problems.

Just had to spend 20 secs brushing stones back over the lip of the drive from the pavement once a week or so.

Much lower maintenance than the block paving at the new place, and I liked the security aspect of hearing people on the drive.

chakaping
    Free Member

PS – we used weed membrane, it worked incredibly well.

Ponty

@SwedishMatt – Which grids did you use?

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Ponty

8 x Black Plastic Paving Driveway Grid Turf Grass Lawn Path Gravel Protector Drainage Mat (2 Square Meter) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/604042754X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_lmfszbNWY8M08

Very solid

epicyclo

My wife hates it. I prefer it. Safer in winter from the ice point of view, and can hear visitors.

River gravel tends to migrate more IMO. Put down a weed barrier before laying it.

There is a wee bit of maintenance, but it doesn’t go “off” like paved driveways with their marks and oilstains – and you can fix that in seconds with a rake. It’s worth keeping a bucket full of extra gravel for little jobs to freshen it up.

Yak

We have one. Old drive, no grid or membrane. It migrates a bit – I maybe rake it twice a year. In the summer you get the odd weed, but not too bad. Overall I like it. Almost no runoff in heavy rain, a good noise when cars and people approach, and it mostly looks good for minimum maintenance.

angeldust
    Free Member

Is it stable under foot, especially with heals (the wife I may add), do the stones shift and end up needing raking.

The stones do tend to migrate over time, and need raking back every few weeks/months, depending on usage. Not an issue if you have a rake, and don’t mind using it. Probably tidy mine (admittedly small patch, little used, but driven over twice most days) up a bit 3 times a year (and doubt anyone else even notices it is out of place). Thickly laid stuff can look untidy sooner.

onehundredthidiot

My parents have a large area with a fair amount of use. Three neighbours share it, up to 6 cars use it.
    It’s a mess they couldn’t start from scratch but it’s messy in winter, gets very compacted and the membrane is being disturbed due to use (delivery drivers and neighbours son accelerating too hard).
    They’re now looking at monoblock or tarmac, £18k quote for monoblock.

stevextc
    Free Member

I like the idea of having some or possibly all of it as a gravel driveway

I think you started off ….

My mate had the “perfect gravel drive” (angular 20mm with grid) and it was as gravel goes pretty good… but still bits fly up if your heavy on the acceleration in the car etc. and it takes a bit more maintenance and prams, scooters etc. struggle…

I think if I had 180m2 I’d have the most frequently used part in tarmac or paving and the edges with gravel….

With a decent weed membrane its probably lower maintenance when not used or infrequently used… but high use it is (IMHO) higher …

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Gravel drives (not resin bound) – Experiences?’ is closed to new replies.