Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 137 total)
  • 'Gravel' bikes vs hybrids…
  • ibnchris

Was describing what gravel bikes are to my wife this eve and the concept of a kind of ‘do it all’ bike. To which she answered ‘what, you mean a hybrid?’

Great put down. Even if she’s slightly missed the point.

slowoldman

I’m just investigating the whole endurance\adventure\hybrid thing. There is much scope for confusion.

dovebiker

Hybrids usually have flat bars and are more like Mens for the road whereas Gravel/Adventure bikes are Road bikes for offroad 😉

simondbarnes

Gravel bike = drop bar hybrid. Anyone who thinks otherwise is incorrect 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

Gravel bike = drop bar hybrid. Anyone who thinks otherwise is incorrect

I am waiting for the flat bar gravel bike to come out, for those times when you need a bit more control than drops can give you. And maybe downsizing the wheels a little, for a little bit more strength.

Bit like this really.

And being as everything in cycling is cyclical, when do we get a new version of the Tioga/sugino tension disks???

rOcKeTdOg

So true

am waiting for the flat bar gravel bike to come out, for those times when you need a bit more control than drops can give you

Already here, any mtb with 35mm tyres on

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Agreed. And I’ve had 2 of them. But theyd be far more capable with flat bars and decent brakes.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

am waiting for the flat bar gravel bike to come out, for those times when you need a bit more control than drops can give you

There’s loads of them about. My wide has a 2-3 year old Ridgeback X3. It’s literally exactly what this thread is about.

jameso

I am waiting for the flat bar gravel bike to come out,

This is basically what the first 29ers were. Willits, Bruce Gordon, DB Overdrive etc. 700x45ish with flat bars, rigid forks.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I am waiting for the flat bar gravel bike to come out

’92 Alpinestars Xross.

LMT
    Free Member

Specialized crosstrail….a flat bar heavy suspension gravel bike

steve_b77
    Free Member

I am waiting for the flat bar gravel bike to come out, for those times when you need a bit more control than drops can give you. And maybe downsizing the wheels a little, for a little bit more strength.

You mean like a 650b hardtail with a double chainset and forks you can lock out?

mrmo
    Free Member

There’s loads of them about. My wide has a 2-3 year old Ridgeback X3. It’s literally exactly what this thread is about.

But they aren’t being sold as a new niche yet, just waiting for the marketing to start pushing them as something revolutionary.

ibnchris

Gravelax

Slack, skinny tyres, flat bars. New pointless niche

firestarter
    Free Member

If I put drops on my boardman hybrid it would be a gravel grinder
    Your wife speaks the truth

CraigW
    Free Member

These gravel bikes are just touring bikes, with knobbly tyres and disc brakes and without mudguards or racks.
    People have been riding off-road on tourers for years, they work quite well as a do it all bike.

steve_b77
    Free Member

CraigW – Member
    These gravel bikes are just touring bikes, with knobbly tyres and disc brakes and without mudguards or racks.
    People have been riding off-road on tourers for years, they work quite well as a do it all bike.

Away with your sensible, non-marketing driven opinions you. How will the industry ever survive 😆

boxelder

Hipster hybrid is what mine’s called. Great bike. I don’t get all the fretting that goes on about the bikes or the riding people do on them. Get out and enjoy it, or choose not to.

jonnyboi

If I put drops on my boardman hybrid it would be a gravel grinder

What’s the max tyre clearance on it though?

Anyhow, I thought gravel bikes were just rebadged CX 😉

wicki
    Free Member

Nothing new Peugeot were making dedicated gravel bikes in the 50/60/70/80’s under labels like “demi course” and “randonneuse” fat tires guard rack mounts and some with 650 tire size you can pick them up for a song on the french version of gumtree etc its called https://www.leboncoin.fr/ got one in the back of the stable lovely soft riding frames and not heavy even by today’s standards.

kelvin

Well, I’m sure mrmo enjoyed having his point repeated back at him.

ian martin
    Free Member

Maybe there should be a tongue in cheek emoji for clarity.

jonnyboi

drac has missed an open goal here

shermer75
    Free Member

Well, I’m sure mrmo enjoyed having his point repeated back at him.

😆

firestarter
    Free Member

Dunno jonni I’ve got 35mm and guards on so it would fit bigger, bit my shand took 42mm and o preferred to run it 35mm other wise it was a skinny 29er rather than a gravel group grinder, and if I used 32mm it was a gnarmac or something 🙂

jonnyboi

I ask because a lot of gravel tyres on sale are around the 37-42 mark. People may shy away from buying a ‘gravel’ bike that only fits up to 35c tyres

beagle
    Free Member

I did see a swanky Mason Bokeh built with a flat bar recently.

firestarter
    Free Member

They are indeed jonni I just found if I needed bigger than 35 I’d be as well on a 29er with skinny 29er tyres still fast enough on tarmac but much better in the rough stuff

uphillcursing
    Free Member

^^this. I reckon Firestarter has it nailed right there.

shandcycles
    Free Member

I am waiting for the flat bar gravel bike to come out, for those times when you need a bit more control than drops can give you.

Daunder

epicyclo

Sneer all you like, but ‘gravel’ is a better descriptor than ‘hybrid’ IMO.

However ‘gravel’ bikes need fatter tyres, 2″ at least (again IMO).

So don’t worry, once the term gravel is accepted, we won’t run out of sneerability objects – because when 2″ gravel bikes happen a new round of sneering can start:

“They’re not gravel bikes, they’re 29ers”.

🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

Tbf I had a drop bar singular swift years ago before all this gravel nonsense and it was just a drop bar 29er 🙂

Edit. Infact I was told I couldn’t use it on the 3peakscx as it was a mountain bike

molgrips
    Free Member

And lighter to. So somewhat different.

I’m not sure I’ve seen an advert claiming these bikes are a new thing anyway. Can someone show me one?

No idea why everyone’s frothing about this. Maybe they are trying to show how clever they are?

kelron
    Free Member

Aren’t hybrids just mountain bikes with bad or no suspension anyway?

RustySpanner

molgrips – Member
    And lighter to. So somewhat different.

Mine’s not.
    In fact, it is a tourer.

See, labels are unhelpful.

I’m not sure I’ve seen an advert claiming these bikes are a new thing anyway. Can someone show me one?
    No idea why everyone’s frothing about this. Maybe they are trying to show how clever they are?

Maybe we’ve got to the stage where labels and genres only exist in the minds of marketing folk and those who are unsure about the possibilities of an ordinary, everyday bicycle.

Which is what ‘g****l’ bikes are.

matt_outandabout

Having seen epicyclo’s posts before, whatever he says on the matter I agree with….

kerley
    Free Member

I swap between drop and risers on the bike I use for gravel riding. This is made very easy due to lack of needing to mess around with brakes so I can literally swap in a few minutes before going on a ride.

So dependent on which bars I use that day changes my bike from a gravel bike to a hybrid, interesting…

shermer75
    Free Member

How do you swap the brakes and gears?

superstu
    Free Member

I have a rigid (flat bar) 29r and a gravel bike (arkose).

They do completely different things for me.

rOcKeTdOg
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘'Gravel' bikes vs hybrids…’ is closed to new replies.