• This topic has 49 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Daffy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Gravel bike weight
  • wicki
    Free Member

What sort of weight are your gravel bikes and how important is weight in this category?

anagallis_arvensis

Mines quite heavy, doesnt bother me.

wildc4rd
    Free Member

9.something kilos, I’m never going to be racing with it!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Bregante

10 and a bit kilos apparently.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Weight will only be an issue if you care about how fast you can get up inclines in a race or while going for a Strava KOM, just like on any other bike. 😈

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’d be looking around the 9kg mark, once you go over the 10kg mark, there’s not much to justify the compromise of a rigid front end when you can pick up a hardtail at the same weight.

jonnyboi

my current bike is 10kg, but it does have a suspension fork.

Unless you are planning on spending big money 9-10kg is the average weight.

You’ll be faster than a hardtail simply due to less drag from skinnier tyres and a more aero position, plus it’s way more comfortable if you are doing serious miles.

onandon
    Free Member

A bit under 9 kg.

thepodge
    Free Member

9.8kg but that’s with a seat pack

scruff
    Free Member

No idea. I’ve strapped a saddle bag on and filled it with tools tube and lock. Put a pump on with the bottle cage and a pod thing on the top tube which you can get two small cans of beer in.

rOcKeTdOg

18.75lb

nedrapier

Mine’s 22lbsish. I’ve raced some cx, BOTB on it. Mid table obscurity all the way, and a lighter bike ain’t going to change that.

Besides, a lighter bike might feel better, but:

nedrapier

And what’s with the kgs? I thought we were trying to reinvent old, shit mountain bikes?

Drop bars = metric, is that it?

bikebouy
    Free Member

6.9, 7 when there’s a bit of mud on it.

But it’s a CXer ..

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Weight has more to do with how much money you spend than what type of bike it is.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the rigid carbon 29er is 9kg

the ti Reilly Gradient is 9.5kg

tomhoward

25-27lbs I think.

But it is steel, with really heavy OEM wheels. And has a couple of frame bags on.

My 125/140mm FS is lighterer

thomthumb
    Free Member

was 12.2 kg with 47c tyres.

new wheels tyres and a few bits of bling got it down to 9.8. Not to shabby for a 3.3 kg frame/ fork.

Changed it for a CX bike so will have to start a new spreadhseet. 😳

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

8.5kg

mattbee

Circa 12kg with seat pack, mini pump, bottle cage, full mudguards & bell. In practice it doesn’t feel much slower than my 7.5kg road bike, although teh Stravas say it is, usually by around 2-3mph. Comfier though.

tpbiker
    Free Member

my caad x weighs pretty much 10 kg, maybe a bit over. I really struggle to see where all the weight is given the frame is apparently only just over a kilo, the wheels are about 1800g and its running sub 400 gm tyres

surely there can’t be that much weight in a tiagra groupset?

Its comfy and fun, but it is alot lot slower up a hill than my 7kg roadbike

kerley
    Free Member

8.4 KG (a heavy steel frame and forks but no brakes or gears)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

8kg ish.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

7.8 (well, 7.75 to be precise) kilograms. It’s not carbon either!

senorj

Mine is 9 kg with pedals on ,saddle bag ,two tubes ,two co2 ,a tool & heavy tyres.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

11 kg plus probaly another 300 kg with me cake and beer. Plus the rucksack. Oh and bottles of water. Plus more cake. Weight does not equal fun.

Did I mention cake? Gravel is not really a category…. It’s just a fancy name for a bike, capable of more than just tarmac. I think if you are worrying about weight gravel is not for you. Maybe try road racing? They have bikes made of air and cheese and you have to eat Kale (all the time). Who wants to eat Kale?

monkeyboyjc

11kg? Steel though.

downhillfast
    Free Member

22.5lbs

Not very.

funkmasterp

NS Rag, not a clue how much it weighs. Less than my Trans AM weighed but that’s not a great yard stick

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Just happened upon this middle-aged thread as I was just tinkering with my gravel/adventure thing and thought I’d weigh it. Came in at 11kg (24 1/4 lbs) dead on without the pedals. It’s a steel frame and fork and I thought that was quite good until I saw some of the weights on here!

How do you get them so low?

Mine is a strange mix of components – spyre brakes, campag Daytona 10 speed shifters, XT 9 speed rear mech and 8 speed cassette to name a few – but nothing is that heavy.

Looking at the new Pinnacle Arkose D3 it comes in at 10.3kg for a medium without pedals, so not that far ahead of mine in a large.

Is mine too heavy? Feels ok, obviously more sluggish than a road bike, but much comfier.

sheeps

Apparently 9.7kg as sold without pedals (old-ish Arkose 4)… it’s now got some lighter wheels, massively offset by a framebag carrying my spares and commuting kit… so probably 11+

Not that I’ve ever weighed it, and probably never will. It’s fun, comfy and copes well with the mix of road, canal and tracks on my commute.

antigee

and a pod thing on the top tube which you can get two small cans of beer in

excellent work

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

mine is 11 kilos. I had no idea that was heavy.

kelvin

Don’t know.
    Don’t care.

fasthaggis

Never weighed them,but I imagine at the chunky end of the scales.
    Once you get them going though,it’s like perpetual motion . 🙂

monkeyboyjc

25lbs with a lauf sus fork and dropper…..

TiRed

Sub 8 kilos. It’s metal too. Ok titanium frame, mini V brakes, ksyrium wheels running tubeless and a 1×10 drivetrain with carbon Sram Red road cranks. Light enough to think “ooh that’s light” every time I pick it up!

Was thinking of a lauf fork, but that would need a switch to a front disk brake and more weight. And a new wheel.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

15.4lbs

Bez

I think mine’s something over 12kg, but that’s with dynohub, lights and guards and without trying to be light.

I managed to get my old CAAD9 down to 9kg with moderate effort and didn’t have much more to shave off without spending silly money, so I think I’d struggle to get a gravel bike down to some of these weights. (Mind you, my bikes are 61-63cm and my idea of diminishing returns kicks in at what’s probably loose change compared to some people’s idea of what bikes cost).

trailwagger
    Free Member

Was 12.5kg with cages, pump, 50mm tyres and pedals.

Wheel and tyre change dropped it to 11kg.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Gravel bike weight’ is closed to new replies.