Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Gravel bike tyre size and pressure
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Putting 32c on this new build. Enough for off-road use under a 90kg biffer? They seem to be rated 60psi which seems a little low. 40c better perhaps?

cloudnine
    Free Member

40c WTB Nano race.. 32c sounds a bit skinny.
    Depends how you carry your weight..
    A floaty 90kg or clumsy smurf bending rims?

ceepers

Depends how off road you’re going and how much

I’m 60kg and I’ve ridden 32,35 and 38 on my “cx” rides it’s all a compromise and depends where you make that compromise, narrower with less tread is faster on road in exchange for less grip off.

Currently using 35 clement ush at 45 for mostly off-road and 65 for rides with more Tarmac. Had good experiences with 32 clement mso at similar pressures too. They have a bit more tread/grip

Wtb nanos get great reviews but most of my cx rides/ commutes have plenty of Tarmac and I’m too lazy to keep swapping tyres!

Nipper99
    Free Member

Just started using a pair of these – would rubbish in deep mud but seems pretty good on everything else.

Challenge Tires “Gravel Grinder” 38mm Tires

JoB
    Free Member

32c isn’t very ‘gravel’, that’s a ‘cyclo-cross’ size tyre, i don’t know where the distinction starts and ends though

60psi on those would be a good start, if your teeth start to fall out let some air out until you start getting pinch punctures, then put some air in

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I just got a pair of these for £18..

Spotty Dog IMHO..

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Holy Crap!
    That pic appears to be *actual size*
    Sorry..

😳

jeremydcooper
    Free Member

Hi

I have a set of WTB Namo 40c race for sale if you are interested?

Only been used for 60k so like brand new, I ran them with tubes in but they are the tcs ones so can be run tubeless.

Cheers.

bikebouy
    Free Member

32mm for CX racing yup, but for those hacking gravel I’d suggest 38mm at the very least..

Pressures to suit both conditions and grip, not belly girth.

D0NK

I normally run 35c conti X kings,I’m 13st. Ran them tubeless originally, 35 front 40 rear. Ran ok for “gravel biking” but when I did more mtb orientated trails at speed I got the odd pinch – was usually ok when I reigned it in but sometimes you just wanna hit stuff fast. Have had tubes in (and a 35c land cruiser rear) the last 6months, 40F 45R and I think I’ve only had 2 flats in that time. Anything more than that and I get rattled to death on roots and stuff. Will go tubeless again with the new tyres I’ve ordered.

Bigger tyres maybe an idea I guess but as it’s my commuter it has guards fitted pretty much all the time and 35c is about as big as I can go under them.

Kamakazie

I got some 40c on one gravel Road tyres on the recommendation of someone on here as I was struggling to get my clement xplors up tubeless.
    Been very happy so far and was running about 38psi on the front last time out which made huge difference to comfort. Not really noticed much penalty with the rolling resistance either although I I’m still on higher pressure at the back as not got the tube out yet.

mattsccm
    Free Member

If you do mean gravel and not mud plugging, plus the road to get there, then deep tread is largely pointless. Fast rolling is better as is big. Ditch the knobblies and you can going up maybe 5mm. Big fat road tyres are perfect.
    As for pressure, don’t go to low. You gain nothing and lose speed. You may gain punctures if you go low. I do about 4000 miles a year on gravel from running track size lumps to Paris Roubaix type cobbles. 60 psi is fine. Dropping 10 or 20 psi won’t smooth out the big ones, fine gravel doesn’t count and grip isn’t an issue on gravel.
    The CX style knobblies that many off the peg bikes come with are fine for splashing round the woods but skinnier than ideal for gravel and knobblier than needed.

senorj

I use 35 mm and adjust the pressure to suit the ride. I use cheapo shwalbe cx comps, which are fine for 90% of my gravel core adventures& commuting.

bigwill
    Free Member

really impressed with the wtb nano 40c, just wish my bike would have a touch more clearance for it on the rear. I have recently run a 1.8 kenda honey badger 29 tyre on the front 700c rim, works really well, very grippy and not that much more rolling resistance.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Another vote for Clements here.

flap_jack
    Free Member

I’m squeezing 40c nanos into my Diverge. 3mm clearance each side, what could possibly go wrong…

jobro
    Free Member

40mm Nano races in my rough stuff bike. Been great in everything I’ve done on them – 60 mile road ride to red section trail centre (well Haldon so it would be a blue everywhere else). I’m 75kg and run 45 lbs in all conditions which has included cx sportives and “gravel races”

lardman
    Free Member

I’m a 115 Kgsbiffa, and have managed with my Spesh Trigger pro 38c.
    Light off road, but mostly gravel. Not dead yet, or flatted/rim dinged etc:

antigee

senor j – Member
    I use 35 mm and adjust the pressure to suit the ride. I use cheapo shwalbe cx comps, which are fine for 90% of my gravel core adventures& commuting.

not swalbe’s but I have worn through the side walls on a couple of brands of cx race orientated tyres riding gravel – worth keeping an eye on them

32mm here but wash out a bit on corners but predictably so and a good compromise for speed on paved surfaces

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Rode to London on the River Lea, approx 40 miles in total on Racing Ralphs 33c, 17 stone on a Diverge. Very good at negotiating puddles and grit, very comfortable.

Also done it with a 8 pint hangover on Schwalbe 32’s. A short ride turned into a long one.

dazh

Did the KIelder Dirty Reiver last week on 40c Nanos at approx 40psi tubeless. It seemed to work. The bumpy bits were still bumpy but the fire roads felt like smooth tarmac. Also the nanos run very well on the road, they roll very smooth thanks to circular profile and ridge down the middle. Can’t recommend the nanos enough if you have the clearance for them.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Had my first proper ride today on some WTB Nano’s on the Kite.
    Running tubeless on a set of Kinesis CX Disc wheels I had 35psi in them. They seemed to roll really well on the Tarmac then once I got off road they were surprisingly good.
    Did a few of the more gentle Surrey Hills trails like Barry Knows Best and they were more than capable on the dry trails.

For my next ride down that way I think I’ll drop the pressures down to 30psi and see if there’s much difference.

wzzzz
    Free Member

I would go as big as your frame will take. Big tyres don’t slow you down if they are decent, supple tyres not the cheapest you can find (unless you don’t have decent mud clearance!).

Lots of CX type frames will take a 40 or 42c, rare they will fit a 2″ 29er tyre, but you could swap wheels and fit 650b 27.5 2″ tyres.

WTB Nanos are a great choice.

For more road bias I ran Clement Xplor MSO 40c:

Try and get the more supple 120 TPI one rather than 60 TPI. I run mine with about 37 PSI – big tyres don’t need such high pressures.

If your frame has clearance for 42c (check measurements here http://www.bgcycles.com), then get the definitive gravel bike / off roading tyre Bruce Gordon Rock N Road (designed by Joe Murray):

If you are planning lots of road bashing too, then I’d go with Soma Cazadero, £50 from https://www.velovitality.co.uk/products/soma-cazadero-tyre-700c-x-42mm :

Hope this helps.

SaxonRider

I saw the pics of your new bike, molgrips. I’m impressed. 8)

EDIT: Whoops. Didn’t realise you had started a bike show-off thread. I was referring to the pics on fb.

epicyclo

Fattest tyre you can get in.

Even better, start with a 29er, roadify it, and fit fast 29er tyres.

kimi
    Free Member

I have the Bruce Gordon’s and compass switchback pass 48’s… both awesome can’t imagine going narrower anymore.

molgrips
    Free Member

I saw the pics of your new bike, molgrips. I’m impressed.

I think it’s impressive given the financial outlay..!

flap_jack
    Free Member

Diverge / Nano update.

The tubed nanos pump up to 38mm width, just fit. Tubeless ones come up to 42mm, don’t fit.

Mate with CdF also has same problem (limiting factor being these stupid new long arm front mechs).

jonba
    Free Member

I just ride my cx bike with 34 or 35mm tyres. File tread or knobbly depending on ride characteristics.

This is a bit of a thread resurrection but why go for fatter tyres. I’ve found general CX tyres good for 3 peaks, c2c, sandstone way,riding around Kielder which covers tarmac, grave, mtb stuff and mud.

I find them comfortable enough even run at 3pks pressures of 70-80psi.

richardthird

Higher volume, lower pressures, more cush, more grip, tubeless etc etc.

Nano Race 40c on the London Road, tubeless on Crosslights, with clearance for full guards. Supple, grippy, not that pricy and SO fast, yes even on tarmac.
    (35f 40r approx psi)

Did 175km mostly off road t’other day. They’re staying for Torino Nice.

karlsbug
    Free Member

Tried a Nano 40c in my GT Grade, wouldn’t fit in the fork, so I got these in 33c. I used them on the HONC and they were pretty good, good on road and loose dry but a bit sketchy in the HONC mud fest this year but they did OK. Overall I’m quite impressed.

Gravel Road

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Gravel bike tyre size and pressure’ is closed to new replies.