Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Gravel bike sizing question.
  • NormalMan

More a general one, than any specific brand.

As always I seem to fall between many brands sizes.

So, IF* I was looking at gravel type bike, what is the general rule of sizing?

Same as your road bike? (Mine is quite stretched out / race style) or do you size down?

*not really looking to buy but more internet dreaming while on holiday.

peteimpreza

I have gone same size as road bike .

Sent the geometry chart of my road bike to the gravel bike guys for advice .

dovebiker

Depends on what you’re planning to ride – if you’re touring, bigger frame size means more carrying space. If you’re riding slightly more technical trails unladen, then a smaller frame means you can move your body weight about more e.g. off the back for better grip. I also don’t run such a big saddle to bar drop offroad in comparison to a road position

NormalMan

I guess it would be used mainly on gravel bike paths and the like (if I bought one).

Kind of general days out / bimble with some nature photography. A bit like what I use my fatbike for but in summer.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’d say slightly longer frame, with slightly shorter stem, for more nimble turning.

I might be and probably am wrong. 😉

tomhoward

I have a 58cm racey madone, I have a 56cm Sequoia, feels much more relaxed, rather than stretched out and racey

drlex
    Free Member

Like tomhoward, I went down a size -58cm Roubaix (XL) to a 56cm Bokeh (L) with no slamming.

sb88
    Free Member

After a few ‘all-road’ gravel/cross builds over the last couple years, have sized up, slightly, as the longer headtube and longer forks seem to mitigate the effects of the longer top tube, the bars are higher for using the drops off road and while longer top tube and wheel base feels loads more stable on descents. Also at my height, avoids toe overlap with bigger tyres. Some say it’s not a problem, which it isn’t much, but nice to avoid if other factors also suit.

Only gone up by a bit though, i.e. from a 53-54 ETT on road bikes to a 54-56 on gravel/cross bikes, sometimes with shorter stems.

Note – sod off if you’re going to argue the difference between a gravel and cross bike – I’m talking bikes used for weekend road/bridleway/singletrack rides, not racing, where a smaller frame might have benefits. A cross bike can be used for such.

Junkyard
    Free Member

56 road 54 cx…personally i dont want to be as stretched out as I am on the road bike as at times i will be picking lines

cdoc
    Free Member

Normally a large in most mtbs, but have sized up to an xl(58) gravel bike with a short stem for the same reasons as sb88 above, particularly toe toe overlap. Handles great with the short stem on, but like a barge with the original 110mm.

nemesis
    Free Member

About 4cm shorter than my (fairly long) road bike. 1cm in the tt and the rest in the stem

Ymmv of course.

sb88
    Free Member

Having said all of the above, have also found that you can get away with a ‘too small’ gravel/cx bike more so than a road bike due to the extra height given by the forks (usually 400mm Vs approx 370mm), so the bike doesn’t initially feel too small, until you’re on any bumpy descents until you find yourself forward on the hoods, too far over the front wheel.

NormalMan

Thanks guys.

My internet window shopping had me seeing some bikes. Then I saw one I really liked last night. Which changed up my desire for insider knowledge.

My gut feeling was a slight sizing down but thought it might be based on my sadly being drawn in by a colour scheme!

Now I have to come up with another way of justifying not buying another bike 😆

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Gravel bike sizing question.’ is closed to new replies.