Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Gravel bike / adventure wheelset
  • esky123
    Free Member

I have a Genesis vagabond with ultegra hydro 11 spd group reddy to go on

I currently have some 2.1 x29 vee rubber tyres maybe thinking of some maxxis refuse 40c or nanos if I do a bit more off-road

So problem is I need a new wheelset as it need to be 11spd

Have a max budget for 300 quid but would be happy with 150 superstar wheelset or something similar

Anybody have a recommendations for rims, rim depth etc would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Nipper99
    Free Member

I’m in the same market and was looking at these from Spokesman or with the Hydra rims.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162075143156?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

esky123
    Free Member

Yeah il like the stans grail rims any others worth a look at?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Stans rims are a bit shit IMO.

Get in touch with DCR wheels; their hubs on their rims with some Sapim Race spokes should be around your budget. They look/sound great.

tang
    Free Member

I’ve got 3 sets atm, pimp King Enve cx ray, crests/hope/dt and hplus archetype/novatec/D lite. The hplus set are actually fantastic, the hydra on novatec with D lite/dt spokes can’t be far off budget if you shop about.

ultracrepidarian
    Free Member

Novatec on dt 460 disc here, very happy with them considering the modest price.

tang
    Free Member

Or Hunt disc for a bit more. Good reviews.

esky123
    Free Member

Anybody had any experience with the love mud orbit wheel set?

burko73

bump for this. interested in experience of the love mud wheelset.

STATO
    Free Member

Probably overkill, but I think the Ultegra rear mech can be made to work with an 11-40 11sp SLX mtb cassette, which work on 10sp freehubs.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’d personally put an extra £50 into your budget and get a set of Hunt X Mason wheels.
    I’ve been running a set on my Kite for the past 6 or 8 months and despite getting hammered they’ve been absolutely faultless.
    The WTB Nano’s go up easily enough tubeless on the Hunt wheels and they work pretty well off-road and aren’t too slow on the road either.

jimdubleyou

I’ve just killed the Alex rims that came with my bike. I have a set of Mavic Aksiums which have stayed true despite some “robust” riding which are currently doing dual duty (trail / road commute)

I’ve put the superstar Grails on my wish-list.

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/shop/road/road-wheels/road-disc-wheels/

I’ll be needing a minimum of 32 spokes.

Bookmarking for other options…

beanum

I got a set of Hope handbuilt wheels from Merlin. Pro4 hub (11spd) and Mavic XM319 rim with a bolt through hub for my Escapade. They came in under £300 and I’m very happy with them so far…
    Other rims are available if you want to go tubeless…

Merlin Cycles

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Gravel bike / adventure wheelset’ is closed to new replies.