Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • gratuitous showing off my knives thread
  • daftvader
    Free Member

afternoon…

so i have finished making a few knives, just need to do the leather work and they’ll be complete…
    what do people think?

[/url]DSC_0904 by daftvader77, on Flickr[/img]

daftvader
    Free Member

couple of others of the large one

[/url]DSC_0889 by daftvader77, on Flickr[/img]
    [/url]DSC_0887 by daftvader77, on Flickr[/img]

db

Very nice. I like those

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Very nice, what are the small knives used for?

daftvader
    Free Member

they’re neck knives, called so because they hang round your neck… usually used for skinning and small dressing tasks (usually hollow ground for this, these are a scandi grind) but in reality can be used for absolutely anything

beachboss
    Free Member

Beautiful workmanship.

CHB

Needs link to purchase, or an SWT article to link to it!
    I love nice knives, but am not a connoisseur.
    I use my Richardson Midori cooks knives constantly, and have my Leatherman honed to a shaving edge, but I hanker for a lovely Damascus blade thing.
    The top one in the picture is my favourite.

Drac

Fantastic stuff.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Very nice – was going to ask the question about what the small ones were for, but someone else did that for me.

I’ve started to buy decent kitchen knives and it’s amazing the difference it makes over the crap I was using before.

wolly
    Free Member

They’re very nice! What did you use to etch the makers mark?

daftvader
    Free Member

Thanks for the kind words, chb give me an email, I’m not trading yet but I’m sure we could work something out!! 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Applauds!*

Stoner
    Free Member

Next on my list of things to fettle at in the workshop is to start making knives. I doubt I’ll ever match the quality of the OP efforts though. Top stuff.

Has anyone got some good links to how to sites and online materials and resources to swot up and plan from?

carlos
    Free Member

Very nice. (Thumbs up)

daftvader
    Free Member

stoner, have a look at english handmade knives, wood and knife supplies, hennie hayes and knife bargins. all of which have materials. as for how to’s youtube is your friend

Stoner
    Free Member

Cheers dv

daftvader
    Free Member

no worries stoner, give me a shout if you need any pointers…

i also have a few others to get in the kiln!!!
    [/url]DSC_0882 by daftvader77, on Flickr[/img]

bikebouy
    Free Member

Oh my oh my, do I see something interesting soon to be on their way to me I wonder?? 😆

😉

DickBarton

Stunning.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I keep fancying a crack at this, done my research just cant decide what shape to start off with (from scratch)

dknwhy

Absolutely stunning work. Well done.

Cougar

I’m not trading yet

You really should (then I can ban your trade posts 🙂 ). They’re lovely.

orangerider1970
    Free Member

Are these the full monty and forged or stock removal from tool steel blanks? Always made hot rod bbq style stock removal jobbies but really want a go at the old school forged from a rail pike super manly ones!!! 🙂

bruneep

well done, how did the sword turn out and what was the schools reaction?

daftvader
    Free Member

don’t worry cougar, as soon as i am i will just post innocent links to my fb page, when i have one 😉 or as chb suggested do an article so i can do it proper like!
    bikebouy give me a shout… (not advertising cougar just helping a forum member out!!!)
    wysiwyg, have a trawl through the internet… look at loads of pics, just find the ones you like and start from there. if you are using an old file to start with its a really cheap way to try out loads of shapes, rather than using good steel and messing up, plus it then lets you get the hardening right as thats fairly important.

thanks for everyones kind words, its been a long (and expensive) road to get them to where i am happy with the quality…

these are ones i made for the chap who tested all my designs, he’s handling them
    [/url]DSC_0865 by daftvader77, on Flickr[/img]

daftvader
    Free Member

the sword is still a work in progress… the school knows about it so are not too worried!
    orangerider they are stock removal from precision ground tool steel. i do all the heat treating, handles and leather too.. i have done some forge work and love it, but mrs vader wont let me build a forge in the garden…. yet!!! 😉

igm

Very nice. And you’ve reminded me that our kitchen knives are getting on a bit and need replacing at some point.

bruneep

Once you’ve banned him you can ban those who are trading bike parts 😉

Cougar

It’s not always easy but we follow up on all reports.

orangerider1970
    Free Member

when I did the leather work on mine it was almost as rewarding as everything blacksmithy, Tandy leather are good for bits and bobs but I decided to go unprofessional and use the piller drill and some waxed sail thread but using full grain tanned butt leather and a bit of care about the task at hand it’s very easy to impress yourself. Or it was for me anyway. . .

Never managed a logo though 🙁

daftvader
    Free Member

of all of the process i find the leather work the most challenging, i suffer from dyspraxia which means my hands shake all the time. this means that i find cutting and sewing really really hard. its something that i have had to really concentrate on. next project on the leather is a holster for a friends walther P99. should be interesting!
    the logo was a spur of the moment thing. i was trying to come up with one when i saw mu favourite fossil pile with an ammonite on the top, bish bash bosh a logo was drawn.

CheesybeanZ

Very knife indeed 😀

daftvader
    Free Member

lol a cheezybeans! 😆

Mikkel
    Free Member

Daftvader, what do you use for the heat treating?
    I am starting making knives again, and as i no longer work somewhere with a vacum oven i need to get something sorted so i can do it at home.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

toaster oven?

daftvader
    Free Member

Sorry mikkel only just spotted this… I use an Evenheat kiln for hardening (imported from Sweden) and a domestic oven for tempering… Tbh if you are only making for fun I’d make a small charcoal/coal forge, heat to non-magnetic and quench as usual, as the cost of buying a kiln starts at around 1300 quid and goes up! Or there are several people, I am told, that do blade hardening…. Hth

CHB

Have just got home to a parcel.
    It’s from daftvader (Tim).
    WOW!

That’s all for now. Will post pics.

CountZero

Daftvader, as you’re on Fb, have you seen the pukko|areena and Knives and knife makers from around the world pages? The first is mostly in Finnish, but you usually get English replies to posts, and both have lots of photos of beautiful knives, and people do buy and sell through the pages.
    Nice work on your knives, by the way, I can only dream of making something like those. I’ve only managed to modify an old axe I found in the shed!
    It’s actually turned out better than I hoped, but I only have a Workmate, an angle-grinder and some files.
    Oh, and a vice that’s not attached to anything at the moment. 😀
    From this:

to this:

And it’s really rather sharp, too.
    #mindyerfingers 😀

daftvader
    Free Member

I like it alot 8) nice job! Did it take long?
    Funnily enough I have a friend who wants something remarkably similar to That!!!

nedrapier

Lovely work dv!

Slight tangent, but I saw a wrench knife by this guy this morning and thought there’d be some on here who’d like the work and the ideas.

http://www.pearceknives.com/Gallery.php

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘gratuitous showing off my knives thread’ is closed to new replies.