Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Grass driveway
  • Pieface

I want to create an extra bit of parking on our front garden and am thinking of grass reinforced with a plastic honeycomb grid.

I know that I need to put in a hardcore sub-base, but will this need drainage or will that take care of itself (as the hardcore is permeable)?

Can I lay turf / Grass seed directly onto the Hardcore, or will I need a layer of top-soil to lay the turf on, and then lay the reinforcement grid on that?

Alternatively I could lay nice gravel on top of the hardcore with the mesh as well but think the grass would be better. Anyone else done this?

craigxxl
    Free Member

I did this a few years ago. You will need at least 4 inch of compacted hardcore and extend it by 18 inch past where the grid will be laid to prevent movement. The grid is pinned in place.
    Fill with quality soil, firm down and seed with hard wearing grass. No problems with drainage but requires a bit more watering in summer to prevent drying out.

Pieface

Cheers Craig, so essentially I just lay the grid on top of the hardcore, then fill with soil and grass?

Does it look like a lawn rather than a green drive?

z1ppy

My step dad did this, but never actually used it for parking, but in his words it been a complete failure with the grass never growing well & just looks a mess. He’s not the kind of guy who does half a job, & I was as disappoint as he was, as I thought it a great idea.

Pieface

It’ll be in a south facing garden which may help the grass grow.

joshvegas
    Free Member

My folks have done the same thing, works perfect in their casetransition from hard surface to grass needs careful attention.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Choose your hardcore wisely.

Pieface

Will Wickes / Pagetts MOT hardcore be Ok?

wrightyson
    Free Member

It really depends on surrounding ground conditions and slope. Standard type1 is 25/dust. If sometimes knits very tightly on top after compaction and can end up very impermeable.

Pieface

So would type 2 be better, or is that too coarse?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Grass driveway’ is closed to new replies.