• This topic has 55 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • graphic designer – how can you train to become one?
  • wetgrassagain
    Free Member

The design for print and design for web is an interesting debate.

I have a brief that I am working on at the moment that is primarily for print but requires the designs to be suitable for online campaigns also, in fact thinking about it a lot of our designs are primarily for print but also end up being developed for on line campaigns.

I think it is most interesting that as graphic designers we can't agree specifically what a graphic designer is or how you become one 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I have a brief that I am working on at the moment that is primarily for print but requires the designs to be suitable for online campaigns also, in fact thinking about it a lot of our designs are primarily for print but also end up being developed for on line campaigns.

Most design can be adapted to work on screen or on paper as long as the designer and the client understand that compromises have to be made – especially true if you want to build a an accessibility compliant website.

wetgrassagain
    Free Member

Most design can be adapted to work on screen or on paper as long as the designer and the client understand that compromises have to be made – especially true if you want to build a an accessibility compliant website.

I agree, but we find more and more at the design stage we are developing ideas that will work across multiple media, for example a project that we are just finishing is for new packaging that has an on pack promotion to a microsite as well as point of sale display materials the design has to work across all these. I did the design work for all the elements, but not necessarily all the "mechanical" bits like writing code and pre-press. 😉

maxray
    Free Member

I think it is quite hard to just become a graphic designer unless you have a large amount of natural talent waiting to be unleashed. I would have thought though if you did then it would have been hard for you to contain this in earlier years.

Programs can be learnt easily but to my mind being a designer is not just about what programs you can use, it is all those problems you had to solve, all those experiments that went wrong or fortunate accidents you discovered. I think designers look at the world in a different way too whether its the different pantone refs of some autumn leaves or noticing typesetting errors in a restaurant menu.

Sometimes it almost feels like an affliction 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

noticing typesetting errors in a restaurant menu.

Its not just menu's (BIG 😉 )

I see them everywhere – especially apostrophes used (or not used) in plurals and possessives. It drives my wife to distraction 😆

wetgrassagain
    Free Member

Second on the typesetting errors, I see them everywhere, certainly feels like an affliction.

I came to designing late in life and showed little interest in art at school, I was "discovered" when working with graphic designers on projects and found that the roughs I did were as good if not better than the stuff they came up with. From there I started working with web designers and found the same, then more graphic people and picked things up from there over about ten years.

My actual background is in marketing so I act as a hybrid account handler / marketeer/ bod that can design a bit.

Oh yes, I also write copy too…

I is a crazy mixed up kid me.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Jack of all trades, master of none…

😉

maxray
    Free Member

I dont care for punctuation grammer or owt else in forum posts 🙂

However things that are "proper" are a different matter.

maxray
    Free Member

That is a broad range to excel in!

binners

I blame my appalling spelling and grammer on the fact that for years I have been obsessed with correct typesetting.

I can be looking at the most glaring spelling error and it won't even figure in my mind, as I'm too busy concentrating on the kerning and the leading. And invariably tutting and mumbling to myself.

Thats my story anyway, and I'm sticking with it 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I dont care for punctuation grammer or owt else in forum posts

I guess that is because you could class a forum as informal chat so punctuation/grammar/spelling guidelines are less rigorously adhered to. It's a bit like writing an essay at school – it would be expected to read 'my friends and I'. But when chatting informally it is quite acceptable to say 'me and my mates'.

And of course language is ever-changing. I was in Alnwick Castle last autumn reading some written texts from just a couple of hundred years ago and it took quite some effort to understand much of it.

tails
    Free Member

MF so can you make websites? I may be interested in something simple to put my 'wares' on I have a reasonable idea of what I want or more to the point sites i like using.

Do you think it would be better for me to get au fait with dreamweaver and do myself, I have a good basic knowledge of PS, IL, ID but just looking at html etc switches me off. I'm currently not working, well since august, so it wouldn't be for a while although I'm hopeful of a few interviews in next 2 weeks unfortunately I've smashed my face up doing this silly hobby of ours

wetgrassagain
    Free Member

I think the jack of all trades is a very fair tag 😉

But I am a one man (at the moment) freelance operation and take what projects I can.

Did I also include exhibition designer, builder and driver of the white van?

I need to focus people.

WGA

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Tails- we can design, build and host a website. Like you I do not build, but we have people that do in the office 🙂 I tried getting into build myself but just couldn't grasp it…

tails
    Free Member

okay MF i'll remember and get in touch if i need to

hora
    Free Member

I blame my appalling spelling and grammer on the fact that for years I have been obsessed with correct typesetting.

Murrrggggg binners is Rainman mmmurrhhh :mrgreen:

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘graphic designer – how can you train to become one?’ is closed to new replies.