Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Graphic design software
  • Grizla
    Free Member

There seem to be some design gurus on here, so I thought I’d ask…

Can anyone recommend an entry level piece of design software that I could use to knock up some basic logo type designs at home. I’d love to get adobe illustrator, but it would be wasted on me.

Is CorelDRAW any good?

Thank you.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

CorelDraw will do the job but you really should get Adobe Illustrator.

Cougar

The best (free) drawing package I’ve used in a long old time is Paint.Net.

The other big free one is Gimp, but I never got on with it myself. Whether these are quite what you’re looking for though, I’m not wholly sure. They’re more Photoshop than Illustrator.

Grizla
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

mf, I assume that illustrator is THE package then…

Hmmm, decisions. Just gotta try and find a way to justify the £.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

If it’s a hobby or a few one off’s use corel draw, it’ll do the job for what you describe and will be able to output pretty much whatever format you need. I used to work in a company that exclusively used corel draw for commercial work which is very unusual but it was ok.

If it was your work then I’d go with Adobe Illustrator, it’s not perfect but it is as close to an industry standard as you are likely to find.

xcgb
    Free Member

can i just say I work in the print business and although Corel is good for a user, on our side it has an appalling reputation for problems with output

we avoid it wherever we can, although if you are supplying print ready PDFs it should be OK

Klunk
    Free Member
    Grizla
    Free Member

oooh, inkscape looks interesting. Quite an appealing price too!
    Do you use it?

mW it is just for a hobby, hence not wanting to spend loads on illustrator and only use 5% of the functionality. Thanks for the info.

Klunk
    Free Member

i have done, very competent piece of software, and for free you can’t go wrong.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Check out the Serif stuff too – DrawPlus and Photoplus. Serif were flogging the previous versiopn of Photoplus for a tenner lest week.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

mf, I assume that illustrator is THE package then…

It is the most comprehensive and the most widely-used in the graphics industry yes – there isn’t a great deal it can’t do. I have been using it for years and years and still probably only know about 10% of its capabilities but it does everything I ever need – create logos, draw maps, devise charts etc.

seosamh77
    Free Member

+1 get illy.

derekrides
    Free Member

Freehand? what’s happened to that, I used to prefer it to illustrator.

Interesting enough there’s a really cheap app for the iPad I’ve been messing with, iDraw, got myself a cheap (£14.50) stylus, since I still get on better in the early stages of messing with logos with a pencil and paper.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Adobe gobbled it up when they bought macromedia, Never used it myself mind so don’t miss it.

the-muffin-man

I still use Freehand from time to time! I find it a lot faster to use for certain jobs than Illustrator.

CorelDraw is certainly a good value vector package and will be more than enough for hobby use.

alexxx
    Free Member

get a 30 day trial

rewski
    Free Member

Trial is the way to go, while your at it give the Autodesk apps a try, they do a great vector drawing package called SketchBook Designer and a non vector SketchBook Pro/Express, these are particularly good if you use a wacom tablet.

Pen and paper are the best route if you just want to design at home though, very cheap.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Graphic design software’ is closed to new replies.