Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Grandad's fixie dream…
  • martinhutch

My stepdad is 60ish, hasn’t ridden a bike in about 30 years, and has just moved to Edinburgh. He says he fancies getting a fixie so he can trackstand at the lights with all the young hipsters.

Will he (or his knees) die a horrible death, what gear ratios might be best for him, and most importantly, are there any shops in Edinburgh with a decent stock of various SH bikes he could try out?

geoffj

Hills, trams, buses, traffic and tourists – he must be mad!
    He could try the Bike Station

http://www.thebikestation.org.uk/edinburgh/

bawbag
    Free Member

I use 42*17 for getting around Edinburgh and it generally gets me up the hills although I won’t be making any speed records. Suits me though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jamiep
    Free Member

In Edinburgh. I use 40*16 but that is SS not fixie.

Yes, Bike Station. Or Gumtree

shermer75
    Free Member

Has he ridden a fixie before? Despite their popularity they are a bit weird at first- I got thrown onto the top tube a couple of times when trying to coast before I got used to it!

Dunk10
    Free Member

might be worth a trip through to glasgow to go to rig and have a look what they have there

martinhutch

Cheers all – he claims to know what he’s doing, so I’m happy to let him get on with it. I just hope he test rides first. I’ll pass on details of the shops.

MussEd
    Free Member

Try eastside bikes at Montrose Terrace in Abbeyhill. Also another shop further up the hill who do SS/Fixies…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Grandad's fixie dream…’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts