Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Grand Union Canal Hack from London to Milton Keynes.. Route advice help required
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve planned out a ride along the Grand Union Canal from London out to Milton Keynes, 100k. Estimate 5-6hrs ish riding but there a lot of Pubs to stop off at and a few interesting locks and such that I’d like to seek out too. I’ll be doing it on the CX’er and catch the train back into town from MK when completed.

My question(s) are these:
    1) Anyone know of/use the/ridden the route either in part or is part of their local ride or have taken family along it. Now this can be any part/section/location and all I seek here is condition of towpath and ease of use.. thats it. So any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.
    2) Anyone fancy coming along ? Planned for a mid week dry day with preceding dry days so it’s not too mucky.

Cheers

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Ive had similar thoughts but london to birmingham over 2 days, maybe later in the year when i have more holiday entitlement !
    ive seen a few threads and it seems ridable all the way 🙂

jameso

Watford / Whippy woods area to Kings Langley – fast, smooth/surfaced, quiet.
    Hemel Hempstead to Tring area – dry now, busy on a nice weekend. Splits just before Wendover/Tring and is quiet up to Leighton Buzzard, gets a bit lumpier but just normal rural towpath. Not sure after that to MK as I cut through the woods to get to Woburn. MK to Northampton’s really quiet. Got bored by then though, turned back : )

kimbers

yeah Ive done it almost that far

from brentford (where I lived) left the canal at berkhampstead (nice pubs) then over through ashridge, ivingho beacon, dunstable downs and over to my parents at dunstable

Its a tow path, theres not much more to say than that, but the route is unobstructed the whole way through
    hounslow etc isnt exactly scenic

brunels 3 bridges are interesting if a little industrial
    its generally quite nice
    where abouts in london you starting from?

https://www.strava.com/activities/183335778

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohh this is looking like a right go’er. Superb.

Thanks chaps.

I’ll be riding in from the Paddington Spur off Regents Canal (which at the East end passes my place so riding from my door, up Regents Canal, Paddington Spur then GU ) I did think about riding along the Embankment to where the GU enters the Thames but I’m starting about 1k up it where the Spur exits off.

I’m prepared for a leisurely ride. Fancy a long distance pootle on the CX’er in the sun and dryness that we’re experiencing at present. This route for some reason or other came into mind. Part of the reason for choosing it was the locks and bridges and tunnels, fancied a bit of historic exploring too.

Thanks for your help again and the strava link, shall take a peek.

Anymore info greatly received.

jameso

If you want any CX-friendly diversions up ie into the woods and back near Berhamsted / Hemel / Tring let me know, can PM a GPX.

Rio

Leighton Buzzard to Bletchley and I think on to MK is hard surfaced so you can belt along. Tring to LB is ok at the moment but can get muddy in places. Watford to Tring is a mixture of surfaces with many pubs for distraction, particularly in Berkhamsted. Watch out for junctions for the Wendover and Aylesbury branches near Tring, it’s not always obvious which way to go. Haven’t done Paddington to Watford.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Thought id commented on this before , more details here and a map that runners use for the 145 mile canal run 🙂
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cycling-birmingham-to-london-by-canal-2-days-optimistic

jonwe
    Free Member

Paddington to Heathrow area – remarkably rural but dull. Heathrow to rickmansworth getting more scenic. rickmansworth to berkhamsted track quality improves as does scenery. Stop at the riser (rising sun) at berkhamsted – it is impossible to cycle past. Prime fisherman and pedestrian area – take a bike bell. Out to tring- lovely. Thereafter I’ve not done it.

jameso

many pubs for distraction, particularly in Berkhamsted

The Rising Sun is a recommendation. Just before Berkhamsted.

Watch out for junctions for the Wendover and Aylesbury branches near Tring, it’s not always obvious which way to go.

Good point, just stay right at both.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Ive ridden London-Birmingham in two days. Easy enough but it can be seriously bumpy on some sections so get some decent bar tape. The Rising Sun is a nice boozer but if you want to press on try the Three Horseshoes near Hemel Hempstead for lunch on day one. Just dont bring the bike into the beer garden along the canal.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I live just off the GU. and have ridden Paddington to the Wendover arm on several occasions. Was out on it last night but only as far as Rickmansworth. Wear glasses of some sort, I had to remove insect remains from both eyes when i got in and i was only out for about 90 minutes. Had a forehead splattered in the little buggers.

All of the bits I’ve ridden are good although I would be tempted to skip the paddington arm altogether and get on the Thames path at hammersmith, leaving and crossing over at Kew bridge to join the canal at Brentford. The section on the Paddington Arm from Horsenden HIll to It’s junction with the main section near Bulls Bridge isn’t that great and not as interesting as the the route down from Brentford on the main stretch. Used to ride both routes fairly often as i worked in Paddington.

When you thinking of going?

belugabob
    Free Member

Sounds like a nice trip, but I’d just like to give my input on the travel arrangements.
    I always prefer to catch the train out and cycle back. Imagine what would happen if you cycled out, then couldn’t get the train back, for some reason.
    Almost happened to me once – only saved by one of the few helpful staff members on the whole network, who devised an alternative train route home.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Dont mean to hijack the thread sorry , if i was gonna ride from london to birmingham , where would the best place be in london to start from as ive no idea down there ?, where do i head to once im off the train ?
    sorry again hijack over

shiatostorm
    Free Member

From London to Birmingham? If you caught the train into paddington then either follow the canal straight from there or head south west-ish to the thames path at Hammersmith and follow that along as mentioned above to where the canal joins at Brentford (look on the map, it’s just to the west of Kew bridge). That way you get to see the Thames in a quieter part of town and then from Brentford you just hit the tow path and crack on.
    🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Righty ho..

I’ve done a little more research and loaded the route into my Garmin and waiting for tomorrow’s weather to rattle through, and now looking at next Monday. Good advice about not doing it on a weekend due to others using the paths.
    I’ve checked out the strava link/route (cheers) and taken a few pointers off there.
    I’m not going to bother with a mass amount of food, just a gel or two and relying on Pubs 😆

Really looking forward to this pootle, cheers again.

kayak23

Loaded the route into my Garmin

Really? It’s a canal… 😀

I made the trip from Warwickshire to London over two days that stumpy links to above.
    I looked at the signs… 😉

Have a good trip. I had a million thorns embedded in my slimed tyres but no punctures.

nant
    Free Member

There’s a canal festival happening this wkd in Rickmansworth, maybe by Monday it will all be clear but may be busy along that stretch still.

Make sure you have a Bell fitted.

Rio

just stay right at both.

In principle, yes, but…

At the Wendover arm junction in Bulbourne you need to keep to the left of the towpath and go over the bridge that looks as though it goes into someone’s house. If you keep right it swings round under the bridge to Tring.

At the Aylesbury arm junction near Marsworth the “correct” way to go is to cross the canal at the lower Icknield way bridge by a disused pub well before the junction and then continue down the right of the canal until the next bridge where you cross back, but I usually keep left and turn down the Aylesbury arm then leave at the first bridge after the lock and turn right on the road which brings you back onto the main GU after about 400m.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup loaded into my Garmin for these very reasons ^^ Just a bit of route planning, bit of parcour assessment and all that since I don’t really know the area(s) nor route per se’.

I’m now wondering if I shouldn’t just head off this Friday and do it on the Roadie..

8)

makkag
    Free Member

Wave when you get to Apsley marina -My office overlooks the canal there

Nice pub called the Papermill downstairs but may be a bit early for a stop.

If you need any assistance feel free to pm if your local

samunkim
    Free Member

Did this a few years ago with some mates (stayed in the YHA at MK).
    long parts of it were very rough. I would recommend front-sus (and low tyre pressures) as a minimum and have any luggage bike mounted. My mate was nearly in tears with his rucksack crashing around

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ahh, cheers.. I’ll wave for sure 😀

If the route/conditions mean front suss I’d be better off on the CX’er.. cheers for that 🙂

Next week it is then.

Rio

long parts of it were very rough

That’ll be the bit between Marsworth and Leighton Buzzard I guess, which is mostly grass. I’ve just been out on some of it and it’s in good condition but yes, parts can be a bit bumpy. Also the C&RT approach to pruning now seems to be to only prune at ground level so watch out for brambles dangling across the towpath!

senorj

For the past few months I’ve been quietly exploring a circular-ish, largely off road route from London out into Herts ,up towards Barton Le Clay and back on the canal from Leighton Buzzard is the plan.
    With more notice this could have been perfect as I’ve only gotten as far as Barton so far…ha.
    Can’t do monday but I’ll look forward to the report….

bikebouy
    Free Member

Sure, report and photos will follow….

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Make sure to keep an eye out for the hippo. He lives near the hanging gorilla. You’ll know what I mean on Monday.

andygooday
    Free Member

I can help you with this – my missus walked this last year as part of the Grand Union Challenge (100k from London to MK ….. and my house over looks the canal just north of leighton buzzard.

Lots of useful info mentioned above. All correct especially the observation about the ‘rough’ section marsworth to leighton buzzard. From LB to MK is paved and part of the National Cycle Network – good for speed but if you get ‘dog walking hour’ it won’t matter that it’s paved. Get a bell and that’ll help clear the way but get you sworn at quite alot (IME).

No-one has mentioned that you should check for other events running along the canal on the date you want to do it. I.E avoid the Grand union Challenge weekend (unless fighting your way past a thousand runners/ walkers is your idea of fun). Also check with Luton Angling Club when they have a competition on – otherwise you’ll be stopping every 10 metres whilst they move their extra long poles outta the way. (they have the rights to for most of the section between Leighton Buzzard and MK)

Most of the route is through beautiful countryside – so worth doing.

Lastly, if you don’t stay the distance there are lots of alternative stations close to the canal that take you straight back to London.

Enjoy !

ononeorange

Ooooh oooooh would love to do this – but can’t get a day off for a couple of weeks. Will look forward to the report. In any case I’m fat and old and would no doubt hold you up.

I often use the canal as my “motorway” between Denham and Berkhamstead, and all above is correct. I would avoid around Rickmansworth for a few days after the canal festival – it will be full of boats and their owners on the path. Also, the canal does seem to attract a fair number of militant walkers as noted above who will be looking for confrontation with bikes.

The hanging gorilla gives me the creeps every time I pass, especially at night…….

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Grand Union Canal Hack from London to Milton Keynes.. Route advice help required’ is closed to new replies.