Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Grand Designs – Cinema house in Thorne
  • Harry_the_Spider

Very nice.

Nice house. Nice people.

…and all done for £450k.

In contrast the people on Location, Location, Location are ghastly and so are the properties.

bruneep

…and all done for £450

doubtful

They said £450K last night 😉

Harry_the_Spider

[swift edit]Waddaya mean?[swift edit]

Good house though eh?

bruneep

Uncle Kevin lost his touch? she didn’t appear to be preggers at the end.

youngrob

I liked it too. Nice house for £450K

harrytoo
    Free Member

Turned out ok seeing they bought it with the sole intention of biffing it over and building a traditional family home on the cheap land.

Plus the hanger door on the rear seemed a bit out of place.

……and couldn’t see many environmental considerations in the finished house either…

But would still rather spend my £450k on that than a 2 bed flat in London.

youngrob

The hanger door was a bit ridiculous but the bloke looked so pleased with it.

postierich
    Free Member

£450K could have bought the whole of THORNE FOR THAT!!!

wrightyson
    Free Member

The door was a snagging nightmare and will be replaced with bifolds within 2 years! Loved the concrete, sod the Eco!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

There was a lot i didn’t like about that project, most of it stems from the architect. My comment to Mrs mW was “they’d never have employed this fella if he wasn’t already a mate”.

The couple however seemed really nice and I hope they enjoy their new home.

The trailer for next weeks looks much more entertaining. I imagine we can all stand united in condemnation come 10pm next Wednesday.

midlifecrashes

The plot has been derelict for years, as is much of Thorne. Good that the site is re-used. It looks nice, but if you know the street, you just think, £450K to live there? There’s a 5 bed detached with granny annexe round the corner from there for £230K. I own a three bed semi a mile and a half away I paid £60k for. Nothing fundamental wrong with Thorne, but it’s got no real industry and is in the wrong place to be a commuter town to anywhere with money. So it’s marooned and getting shabbier as the years roll on since the jobs went. It’s stuck between Doncaster, Goole and Scunthorpe and short of building EuroDisney2 on the cheap land in all directions, no-one is moving there soon. Still, their money, and they seemed to like it. There’s another Grand Design near me, from series 1, and that’s concrete too. Wonder if it’s a Doncaster thing?

tymbian
    Free Member

I did like it but…..

400 tons of concrete… Totally Irresponsible!

Could of done it in planks and sprayed it grey!

andytherocketeer

Didn’t see that one.

But having worked with telly crew, and having seen the story of that daft mill one, if I do watch an ep I’m always trying to work out the real story behind all the sensationalised story.

Out in the sticks is common though. Friends in Les Gets mention the one they did there. Sold as a luxury ski chalet, and is about as far from Les Gets and ski lifts as you can get afaik. Twice as far as the bulk of the most distant ski chalets.

Still. It’s all other people’s money to spend as they wish.

midlifecrashes

Enjoy:

Streetview linky

The stack of containers in front of it is a nursery, currently for sale. The concrete and glass thing is on the site of the former mowers/gardeners shed for the field, the nursery used to be a petrol station, it was developed by the same guy who built the house.

br
    Free Member

£450k in Thorne near Doncaster!

Streuth when I read the first post I thought there must be another Thorne (I originally come from just up the road).

Although compared to the Location, Location, Location that I caught the middle of last night, where the young couple for some reason thought spending the best part of half a mill. on a flat was better than buying a bigger house in the same area… ‘cos he didn’t yet feel ‘grown-up’. 🙄

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

90k for the land. 350k for all the building and fees? Not sure I believe the budget to be honest – that’s an awful lot of concrete. not cheap.

Outbuilding, pool. The door they’re offering for about 15k but they must have paid at least 10 for theirs – probably more as it needed rework.

The door and pool (in Yorkshire?) were only things I really didn’t like though – place looked great.

br
    Free Member

Having watched it properly now they did a good job, and if you want to live in Thorne may as well do it in style.

CountZero

Not sure about the pool, but their kids seem to enjoy it. I loved the house, and I really like the door, it means you can have it open when it’s raining and sit underneath it, enjoying fresh air, so long as it isn’t cold. Great build, and a really nice couple. Looking forwards to this week’s.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

can have it open when it’s raining and sit underneath it, so long as it isn’t cold

and theres no wind. It was 4m high – a lot could blow under it. Frustratingly slow to open as well.

chewkw
    Free Member

Very nice. I like concrete …

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

Why such a small pool?

I liked them and I liked the build but the cinema room really got my goat. I mean come on, a sofa? May as well call it a second lounge. They should have some tiered seating and a bigger bloody screen as standard.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Hydro pool, you basically swim on the spot, far cheaper to maintain and doubles up as a tub.

warton
    Free Member

Although compared to the Location, Location, Location that I caught the middle of last night, where the young couple for some reason thought spending the best part of half a mill. on a flat was better than buying a bigger house in the same area… ‘cos he didn’t yet feel ‘grown-up’.

I saw that. The first flat in Wimbledon, I thought, yeah nice, maybe 250k (thinking that’s a lot of money, coming from Newcastle) 415k 😯

zippykona

While talking of wimbledon there was a Move To The Country episode where they moved from Wimbledon to Weybridge.
    Yeah rolling pastures and tractors as far as the eye can see!

natrix
    Free Member

400 tons of concrete… Totally Irresponsible!

Could of done it in planks and sprayed it grey

But concrete will last a lot longer and use a lot less energy to heat a building than if you use timber, so not so irresponsible 8)

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

concrete…will use a lot less energy to heat a building than if you use timber

er. no. Try going to live in a building with solid stone or concrete walls and tell us how warm it feels.

What will reduce your heating costs is insulation and you can wrap that around the structure whatever it’s made of. A lot of thermal mass can help stabilise temperatures – it takes some time to heat up and then will give that heat out a period. However, that effect is lost pretty quickly if you have a period of sustained hot or cold weather. Also means the house takes a long while to react when you try to make it warmer

natrix
    Free Member

Try going to live in a building with solid stone or concrete walls

Here’s the sciencey bit:

http://www.concretecentre.com/pdf/Embodied%20and%20Operational%20CO2%20Emissions%20from%20Housing%20-%20Energy%20and%20Building.pdf

nickjb
    Free Member

Here’s the sciencey bit:

Brought to you by the central development organisation for the UK concrete industry 😀

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

Hydro pool, you basically swim on the spot, far cheaper to maintain and doubles up as a tub.

Where’s the fun in that though? It would be ok for someone who is would prefer to run on treadmills but it’s hardly what you want for a pool party. They have so much space too.

daveky
    Free Member

Did anybody else think things were dubious? ‘entrepreneur’ is generally what people say when they don’t want others to know what they really do. He didn’t seem that switched on and appeared somewhat immature. Also what businessmen do you know that are prepared to take 6 months out of work to labour on a building site – their efforts are usually much more appropriately deployed in their business. I’m calling family money.

MrNice
    Free Member

He didn’t seem that switched on

He didn’t seem the sharpest knife in the drawer. The best he could muster as an analysis of the aesthetics of building in concrete was “I really like concrete”

allthepies
    Free Member

It was mentioned on the proggy that he ran an educational software business so probably a very small outfit (one man band?) with low overheads (concrete ones? 😉 ).

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Loads of info on his business if you google Gwyn ap Harri

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Brought to you by the central development organisation for the UK concrete industry

Indeed. I’m not claiming to be an expert on this but have done a fair bit of reading on the subject. Whilst there is definitely benefit to having some thermal mass a huge amount is not always beneficial.

“Thermal mass is most appropriate in climates with a large diurnal temperature range. As a rule of thumb, diurnal ranges of less than 6°C are insufficient; 7°C to 10°C can be useful depending on climate; where they exceed 10°C, high mass construction is desirable”

I think the UK range is usually quite small – most parts don’t get extremes of temperature, and when we do the daily range is fairly small (nothings far from the sea.)

A huge amount of thermal mass wouldn’t have been much benefit during either the cold extremes of this last winter (when it stayed cold day and night) nor in the recent heatwave (when night time temperatures were still high).

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Director at realsmart (smartassess)

Anyone else read that as smart arses at first glance?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Grand Designs – Cinema house in Thorne’ is closed to new replies.