Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Grand Designs
  • matt_outandabout

20% less? FFS, you can halve energy bills with some insulation and air tightness…

Chevin
    Free Member

Outside looks like a library….I do quite like the inside though.

ski
    Free Member

They both seem very chilled out though.

The windows are clever though, amazing views.

All the bare wood though upstairs makes it look unfinished to me.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’d keep a horse in that swimming pool.

ski
    Free Member

No patter of baby feet…………………yet 😉

IHN

me like

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

£700k for a couple of portacabins that share the good looks of their owners 🙄

matt_outandabout

😀

pendlechris
    Free Member

Like the inside and the views, and the way the glass has been used, wonder what its like in the middle of winter, noticed he looked at it on a nice day, not keen on the outside though, like you say alot of money for 2 large portacabins

mudshark
    Free Member

Having a gap between the top and bottom portakabins can’t be great for keeping warm in the winter can it?

FB-ATB

That’s just down the road from me. Found it on an architect’s search site. The bumpf said it was a “sophisticated piece of architecture for a modest budget.” £700k modest (and did that include the orignal plot?)!

djglover
    Free Member

I liked it, I’d much rather live in 2 glass portacabins than any of the 60s – 80s barratt hutches that most people inhabit.

chewkw
    Free Member

I think all the Grand Design buildings have rather impractical kitchens. Wait until they start cooking or stir frying for few years and see if they can still keep their kitchens as “new”.

£700k … hmmm … must be the swimming pool.

sharkbait
    Free Member

So no curtains to close in the winter then (or when you don’t want people to look in)……. unless you want to block out the source of heat.
    If the glass is that good why have they got a stove?

stonemonkey
    Free Member

matoutand about what was your stand at ecobuild ?

chewkw
    Free Member

Spiral staircase do my head in … yuck!

Glass is fine but if there is a sniper around they would be sitting ducks. LOL!

spoon
    Free Member

Looks like bloody temporary prefab site office – one stacked on top of the other, with a “Brio” staircase.

The wooden cladding will look shite in a few years as well.

FAIL.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Looks like bloody temporary prefab site office – one stacked on top of the other, with a “Brio” staircase.

The wooden cladding will look shite in a few years as well.

FAIL.

Agreed. It’s very nice but just another featureless modernist box.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I don’t even think it was very nice. As has been said above, our first reacion last night was ‘Portakabin’. And all that wood looked awful. They really must have run out of money though – the furniture from the old house even extended to a revolting white plastic microwave in the kitchen.

Another very disappointing build. Gone, it seems, are the days of people with visions for a home, relying instead on big budgets and egotistical architects just spending the money on things they have read about in the latest issue of ‘Architect’s Weekly’. All very uninspiring.

kevonakona
    Free Member

Been thinking about the pregnancy thing (way to much time on my hands). Only seems to happen in two situations. 1. She’s project managing and has a good relationship with the builders/architect, spends a lot of time on site, or 2. He’s very hands on but what with time at work and on the site he’s exhausted.
    Oh and the one’s where the builders/architect amd the couple (usually her) have a big fight and she (sorry they) find new builders. Guilty conciencse?

Now where’d i put that trowel?

rOcKeTdOg

that would make a lovely Forestry commision visitor centre at a trail location

Harry_the_Spider

Not a fan of this one TBH. Can’t quite put my finger on why. It could be the large expanses of exposed plywood and the lack of furniture. Maybe it will change as they live with it. The stairs were quite interesting though. The owners seemed to like it which is what counts as they (and Barclaycard) were paying for it.
    Each to their own and all that.

It does annoy me however when Uncle Kev kisses the German ass. I remember when he küßte den deutschen Arsch through an episode where they imported German labour to install a flat roof… and the bloody thing leaked. Master race my arse.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

£700k for a couple of portacabins that share the good looks of their owners

8)

A concrete plinth, a wooden box, some fancy windows – for £700 grand!

mudshark
    Free Member

I thought the staircase was the best thing about it but getting furniture up it would be a pain…and there’ll probably be a few casualties on it too – kids, drunks, the clumsy….

matt_outandabout

matoutand about what was your stand at ecobuild ?

Front Page

thegreatape
    Free Member

Spiral staircases do seem popular at the moment don’t they. I don’t like them, too easy to fall down. If I was building a house that long I’d have a long slope from one end to the other instead of stairs, you know like for wheelchairs, so I could rollerskate down to breakfast.

Harry_the_Spider

I’d have a long slope from one end to the other instead of stairs, you know like for wheelchairs, so I could rollerskate down to breakfast.

Genius.

You could have your breakfast delivered up the slope on a model train like in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

mudshark
    Free Member

I’d have a long slope from one end to the other instead of stairs

You’d have the mother of all understairs cupboards!

plop_pants
    Free Member

I went past a previous weeks effort yesterday, the one built under a big arch, and it looked a complete mess. The arch looked like a mx ramp, the earth they put over it was all slipping off and the building looked like a chopped off air craft hanger with some very large boxes (cells) stacked in it. It stuck out like a sore thumb. I did like the beautiful 18th century farm house opposite though.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

plop-pants – any chance of pics – would be interested to see how it is (or isn’t) bearing up…

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Grand Designs’ is closed to new replies.