Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 645 total)
  • Grand Designs
  • Swelper
    Free Member

He doesn’t even know the numbers it will cost….. alright for some

IdleJon

Swelper – Member
    He doesn’t even know the numbers it will cost….. alright for some

Of course he does. He’s just reticent about admitting that it will be over 2 million.

Where is it btw? I missed the first few minutes.

rt60
    Free Member

doing own project management, that always ends well!

Swelper
    Free Member

Fair point. Hertfordshire I think

mt
    Free Member

Nice

CountZero

There’s lots I like about the golf bloke’s house, the fact he let the architect have full control, like Frank Lloyd Wright, is a declaration of trust, and I think the bloke has created an absolute classic, it’s timeless and I reckon it could become a textbook example of an architect showing he has creativity and craftsmanship as well as just an ability to turn lines on paper into something people can really live in. I’m not usually a fan of a single wood being used throughout, but the maple gives such a soft, creamy light, and the shadows and reflections are so totally oriental, it’s stunning.
    It would be perfect for me as well, it’s got no stairs!
    Fantastic place.

dantsw13

Yes, a true grand design! 4 years to build though and I doubt he got change out of £2m.

mick_r

Nice end product. Initially I was thinking it was a little obscene that one family needs 500 square metres to live in. But by the end not sure how that much floor space could yield so little living space (could just be camera angles but kitchen seemed tiny compared to her old house) – guess a lot of it was corridors (which were beautifully designed spaces but not a lot of use day to day).

Why did it need so many fireplaces?

Klunk
    Free Member

wonder what the locals make of it, being a bit different to the surrounding houses

yunki
    Free Member

It looks from your link like there’s probably no way they can see it

Klunk
    Free Member
    yunki
    Free Member

That golf dude is how I imagine every STWer

weeksy

I didn’t get the golfer house at all. Whilst it was without doubt really nicely built, intersting design, i just can’t see why anyone would want to actually live in it. It felt cold and empty, even with stuff in it.

marcus7
    Free Member

I cant say i liked it…. it seemed to be the legacy project of the architect with very little real input from the clients who were paying for it. Undoubtedly a very striking piece of design but not one for me, the vast area it occupied just seemed a little wasted with long corridors etc and to be honest reminded me me of a primary school built in the 60’s. BUT if they were happy with it then that’s what counts so good on them for going for an original piece of design I’m just not entirely convinced that its actually what they really wanted.

RustyNissanPrairie

Just watched the golf house and for me – it’s all a bit Space1999, it was futuristic at the time but now looks a bit……naff? The architect was stuck in the past with his drawing board and model making at which point in the program I was thinking yeah I like this guy but once I saw the completed house I didn’t like it for it’s Space1999ness including its naff light shades. Also no real substance to the house for £2m – all plywood prefab

johndoh
    Free Member

Nah, didn’t like it at all. It felt like a 70s house/attempt at being contemporary then and way too much repetition of the same materials and shapes.

And it will be an utter bitch to clean/dust it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Beautiful house bust as soon as you touch that wood it’ll be getting dirty. You’ll have to sand the whole place down every 2 years!
    No curtains either. How are you meant to sleep in summer?

timber

About 60 years too late.

dissonance

It looks from your link like there’s probably no way they can see it

Most likely. I dont recall seeing that house and bimble past that area reasonably often. All the houses there are hidden away.

Jamie
    Free Member

You might need to chase them round the schedules, on 4OD, but the Oz and NZ grand designs have been so much better recently. Full log cabins, building off cliffs, houses lined with chipboard etc.

As for this weeks. Not for me, Clive. Looked instantly dated and what happens when you damage one of the bespoke fittings?

maccruiskeen

what happens when you damage one of the bespoke fittings?

You get struck off their christmas card list

johndoh
    Free Member

The ‘bespoke’ fittings reminded me of those crappy wooden ‘jigsaw’ dinosaurs you can get.

ferrals
    Free Member

The plan view is just Mugatu’s throwing star from Zoolander! All this tosh about being on roman foundations, the bloke is jsut a big Ben Stiller fan

chrismac

I thought the whole thing came over a bit sheepish. It sounded more like he had found away to make money from the land. The coyness around the cost made me think either he was going to sell it so didnt want the numbers in the public domain or one of his companies built it and so he was been careful what got made public that may be of interest to HMRC.

kormoran
    Free Member

Interesting house usurped only by his dress sense 😆

No wonder they’re all turning to cycling

newrobdob
    Free Member

It looked ok but a lot of the interior stuff was made out of chipboard. Bit naff really, only small knocks would make it look crap in fairly short order, doesn’t take much to knock through the wood veneer into the core.

The bricks looked like a 1970’s primary school as well.

Harry_the_Spider

The bricks looked like a 1970’s primary school as well.

They reminded me of Whitefield Bus Station but without the flashers and a the tangy smell of piss.

Wasn’t sure about it, or him. What happened to the architect? Normally when they have been allowed such freedom they are featured in the show as the build completes. Did Mr. Golf have him bumped off when the final bill came in and have him “installed” under the Astroturf putting surface in the back garden?

IdleJon

No curtains either. How are you meant to sleep in summer?

Or indeed wander round the house naked! There’s a GD type house on Gower (Pennard Cliffs) right next to a very well used ramble along the cliffs. Probably a few hundred people passing an hour. They have no curtains so when the lady of the house appeared out of her shower into the living room in full view of several families a few months ago it caused some amusement.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

houses lined with chipboard etc.

Why is this a thing?

It’s utterly horrible stuff, it never looks good, it’s only decent use is as a wall, but either side of the studs and buried under two layers of plasterboard and 4 coats of plaster.

tonyg2003

Normally I like a crazy plan GD but honestly this episode left me completely cold. There seemed to be no passion from the owners (especially the guy) for the project. It seemed he was doing it to please the architect not himself. Very odd.

Also I agree with the others – looked like a mini version of a 1970’s red brick university building. Really not inspiring from the outside, although I quite liked the interior.

Really disappointing.

jimdubleyou

It seemed he was doing it to please the architect not himself. Very odd.

I think there was an element of patronage there as they knew each other for years.

It was ok, but nothing I’d want to live in.

Jamie
    Free Member

Why is this a thing?

It’s utterly horrible stuff, it never looks good, it’s only decent use is as a wall, but either side of the studs and buried under two layers of plasterboard and 4 coats of plaster.

Budget I think in this case:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/grand-designs-australia/on-demand/65965-005

wallop

Concept is looking good tonight, but place your bets now – how much are they going to go over budget? I’m going with £300k.

wallop

Ohmahgod. 13 minutes in and she’s the client from hell already – just put new timbers in FFS!

Tiger6791

place your bets now

Up the duff within 3 months

jonno101
    Free Member

I’ll raise u. £400k

mrblobby
    Free Member

Spent a million on the plot and they have to put the loo in a cupboard.

wallop

I still reckon this is going to be amazing.

Over a million quid for two bedrooms and no bath, but still…

Was it plot £920k and budget £275k?

That makes my prediction £1,495,000 I think.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Yay, the Building Research Establishment is getting a mention. In another life I used to work there.

I didn’t get paid for burning stuff sadly…

letmetalktomark

My bullshit bingo buzzer has just been a single tone throughout this ….. Wow she is annoying …….

That said I think it will turn out looking nice.

Maybe just not £1.5m nice.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 645 total)

The topic ‘Grand Designs’ is closed to new replies.