Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 645 total)
  • Grand Designs
  • vintagewino
    Free Member

the most telling bit was with the stone cladding and Kev suggested that the communications hadn’t been all that from him to his wife. The chap muttered something about the send and receive not working properly. That’s two weeks of off-camera barnstormers right there.

franksinatra

The chap muttered something about the send and receive not working properly

I physically winced at that point, he was going to get his face chewed off as soon as the cameras were away!

binners

I felt sorry for the poor sod. Have you ever seen a more downtrodden looking bloke? I can just imagine the orders before filming…

“Now go on and tell them how it’s all your fault, but you’ve now learnt the error of your ways!”

Makes you wonder if he had much say in taking on the project himself after 12 builders had knocked them back, or whether he was just following orders? He seemed to have considrably less enthusiasm for the project, but was the one who ended up doing all the work.

He was fairly unambiguous at the end that he definitely didn’t think it was worth the stress. I reckon he was thinking Louise from accounts would probably have been a better option

pedlad

I know where it is well and whilst the views from it, and towards it from across the field (especially by drone) are good, the view of 99% of people approaching it i.e from the lane is poor. I think that is an important consideration when spending big money. He did look pretty broken by it all poor chap.

tomhoward

All sounds hilarious, one for catch-up I think!

franksinatra

He did look pretty broken by it all poor chap.

He was broken before they started and no wonder. He had a job flying jets in the New Zealand Air Force, living in the hills and was forced to give it up to come back to Blighty because his sour faced missus was home sick. He then had to take the blame for everything that went wrong from that point on.

I felt for the bloke.

lovewookie

Going to watch this on catch up, it sounds great!

nice location. Old Hollow’s a steep hill that’s a pain in the arse in winter.

Overlooks bluebell wood (the place I’d get drunk as a teenager with my posh mates form west malvern, and a venue for the annual West Fest)

The Lamb has been demolished so no local local…

🙁

TheDTs
    Free Member

He was broken before they started and no wonder. He had a job flying jets in the New Zealand Air Force, living in the hills and was forced to give it up to come back to Blighty because his sour faced missus was home sick. He then had to take the blame for everything that went wrong from that point on.

I felt for the bloke.

This.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Sounds like he should get his old job back.

bruneep

Just watched on Catch up

Yup ^^^

slackalice
    Free Member

Does the presenter still ponder on the likelihood of the brown box ‘being able to have a conversation’ with it’s surroundings?

Do me a favour.

ratherbeintobago

He had a job flying jets in the New Zealand Air Force

The Kiwis don’t have any fast jets

/pedantry

onehundredthidiot

Was going to be engine pedantry.

But

She was a total PITA who didn’t really care she was being unreasonable. I wondered if he’d he’d an affair and was destined to pay for it for the rest of his life.

johndoh
    Free Member

It was Paul Whitehouse and Rebekah Brookes.

Nice build for a total of around £600k (if we can believe what he said at the end). But the rooms (especially the bedrooms) felt a bit small.

crispyrice

Im surprised by how critical some people are of this chap! He was a great guy, hard working, honest, he made some mistakes and faced up to them. I actually was impressed.

tomhoward

he made some mistakes

Moving back here with her being the big one. His heart is still in NZ, and it’s going to eat away at him over the next few years till the kids turn 18, then he’ll want to up sticks again. Not sure he’ll want to take the wife….

Back to the house, I think the architect had a plan for a house that he wanted to build, and didn’t care where he built it. Then has sold the idea to them, they just agreed to it all, hence the windows in sub optimal places, a £15k curved wall, and not thinking about the utilities costing them £40,000….

astormatt
    Free Member

This is just down the road from my mum’s house.
    Being honest, for £600k, i would want something a bit more special.
    It was lacking something….yes the views are great round this part of the world, but it is right on the road, on a blind bend so pulling off the drive is a nightmare to start.
    There have been some great houses on GD over the years, but this isn’t one.

franksinatra

He had a job flying jets in the New Zealand Air Force

The Kiwis don’t have any fast jets

/pedantry[/quote]

I didn’t say he flew fast jets. I said he flew jets. They air force has a 757 which, given it has turbofan engines, falls under the definition of a jet.

/pedantrybackatya

ratherbeintobago

Which must be as satisfying as flying 757s for Thomas Cook?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I thought he did a good job of building the place, hats off to him for that. I reckon I’d have done the same to be fair, but I could have driven the machinery as well and Mrs PP is a great project manager…..

But missing a £40k bill for utilities is just dumb. Surely that’s the FIRST thing you look for on a new build isn’t it?
    And theirs and architects flimsy excuses for not pointing a sodding great window at THAT VIEW we’re flimsy. They knew they’d cocked up. I’d have put the bedroom at the back away from the road (imagine having breakfast in that lovely back garden) and had one mahoosive open plan room angled straight at the valley, then cut the corner at 45 degrees and put a covered balcony out there. That would have probably been cheaper than that curved wall too.

We’ve just bought a new contemporary house (it’s not finished yet!) that has a balcony and the architect has pointed it straight at the view, including the edge of the Peak District. I’m gonna be spending a lot of time in that room I think.

johndoh
    Free Member

But missing a £40k bill for utilities is just dumb. Surely that’s the FIRST thing you look for on a new build isn’t it?

What wasn’t clear though was that I assume he would have had the £40k bill irrespective of knowing about it at the beginning or end of the project – but I guess he would at least have been able to budget for it.

tomhoward

It indicated that had they done it at the start, it would have been in the region of £5k iirc not sure why though

johndoh
    Free Member

It indicated that had they done it at the start, it would have been in the region of £5k iirc not sure why though

No I don’t understand either – surely there would have been exactly the same work involved.

hooli

I thought the house was nice enough, 1 or 2 things that I would have changed but that’s expected.

I think you lot are being a bit harsh on the couple, they didn’t come off all that well but keep in mind how stressful it is building a house and some people don’t do too well with cameras and telly crews in their face either.

And if you think Kev (and his new hollywood teeth) is bad, try watching grand designs New Zealand. That bloke has a face that needs punching.

hooli

I think they said a normal house with pipes in the road outside the house would have been 5 grand, because they had to go all the way to the main road it turned out to be 40 grand.

If they had known in the beginning, they could have factored it into the budget and not had to borrow the extra cash from his or her parents.

Although 40k is a shedload for some pipes, given the site and the cost of the build, it is a fairly small percentage and I suspect most people would have still gone ahead.

richardkennerley

I took it that in most circumstances the work costs 5k but because of their location it was 40k instead. If they’d put the research in at the beginning they could have found out about the cost and sacked the whole build off instead.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Presumably the architect learned architecture at the same place as the architects who designed the Glentress Peel café with its lovely views of the grassy bank rather than the view down the Tweed valley.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Having done our own build (and been the main contractor for it) the tensions felt real but the utilities thing was nuts to the extent that I wonder if it was actually a false drama that Grand Designs created and they knew all along. Utility connnections need to be designed into the house plans, and you can’t do that without knowing where the connections were – they weren’t buildling in the middle of a row of houses.

Its a hell of a lot easier to build if you’ve got your own power and water on site (and sewage – a cheap toilet in a plywood hut connected to the drain is cheaper than hiring a portaloo for the duration of the build so normally the utility connection is one of the first things you do .

The budget seemed too low when he first announced it based on what they were building so no surprise they went way over. Again I don’t know if it’s a Grand Designs invented drama or these people all delude themselves (or don’t bother getting quotes up front and try to build of a £ m2 rate)

There was lots l liked about the house – upside down houses are great. I like the covered entrance and the overhangs on the terraces. I like the curved wall but the architect should really have thought of that before they were on site.

Some stuff depends on how you actually use your house – we spend most of our ‘socializing’ time in the kitchen/dining room so it makes sense for that to have the views. Our living rooms have always been mostly used at night so don’t need a view. It seemed strange that the front terrace was tucked into the trees and hill rather than on the opposite corner but it might be more sheltered there? Actually being in full sun with no shade can be too much – our roof terrace is unusable during the middle of the day – theirs wouldn’t be.

Stupid bloody wood burner again though – could have save 10k? not having that. A highly insulated, air tight, house with a lot of solar – as soon as they light the burner they’ll need to open the windows.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Stupid bloody wood burner again though

Careful son, this is STW.

Around these parts, sheds, conservatories and VW campervans have wood burners.

More appropriate to say “just they one wood burner? how very restrained!”

Harry_the_Spider

Saw it last night.

The poor sod looked like a broken man.

Did the £600k total include the land purchase?

richmars

Did the £600k total include the land purchase?

I don’t think so. The build budget was about £400k and he talked about being £200k over. I think they said the land was £150k, but I’m not 100% sure.

I thought the house was ok, just that the windows were in the wrong place.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

The in-laws are thinking of doing a self build.

On a steep slope.

With a “contemporary” design.

In a national beauty spot.

I foresee a spot on Kev’s Construction Calamities sometime in their future…

sharkbait
    Free Member

There was lots l liked about the house – upside down houses are great

Two storey, yes fine (we have one). But did they actually think about carting all the shopping up two flights of stairs to the top floor, or having two flights of stairs to get up before you get into the main living space of the house every time you get home? I doubt it.

In my view the wife was the driving force behind the whole thing and was sticking up for the [stupid] design that they had chosen. I mean, putting that bedroom in the corner off the living room… FFS!

Their furniture was also ‘interesting’ at best.

jimw
    Free Member

It’s local to me. As has been said above, the very worst aspect for it is for those driving up Old Hollow. I quite like it from the fields. What didn’t come across is that the road is actually quite busy at times during the day which is another reason for having the living room at the back and the main living space as high as possible.

Apparently on quite a few of these builds, the production company dress the interiors for the final shoot ( and take it away afterward) especially if they are not quite complete, so it may not be their furniture

tomhoward

Not sure about that, there’s been loads that haven’t been finished/partially decorated. I assumed it was their old furniture from NZ/previous house

I thought the £600k was the total cost?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

What didn’t come across is that the road is actually quite busy at times during the day which is another reason for having the living room at the back and the main living space as high as possible.

We wondered about that – we know Malvern quite well and none of those roads are quiet. Must have been odd times of day they filmed. You’d be completely unaware once in the house though.

the production company dress the interiors for the final shoot ( and take it away afterward)

Not in this case – no professional would have dressed it with such grim furniture.

But did they actually think about carting all the shopping up two flights of stairs to the top floor, or having two flights of stairs to get up before you get into the main living space of the house every time you get home?

It’s only like living in a flat or walking to a bus stop – getting directly from your car seat to your sofa is why most of the country are so unfit.
    I’m surprised there isn’t an outside staircase up to the living room and a back door (there might be?).

robidoo
    Free Member

The bit that made me chuckle was when the guy spent ages gathering stone from around the site only for our Kevin to smash it to small pieces saying ” look at it it’s rubbish “.
    I could feel the Dr wife boiling up, bet she wanted to take the lump hammer and smash Kevin with it.

BigJohn

I think Kev may have foregone his ritual droit de seigneur. There again he might have swallowed hard and gone for it, only to get rebuffed.

IdleJon

We wondered about that – we know Malvern quite well and none of those roads are quiet. Must have been odd times of day they filmed

You could see how busy the road was in a few shots.

I could feel the Dr wife boiling up, bet she wanted to take the lump hammer and smash Kevin with it.

Quite a few GPs I know or worked with are completely unaware of sarcasm, irony, or even humour in some cases. Surprising lack of common sense in several, as well. I liked the clip of her in her office taking blood pressure attempting to look natural and smile at the patient. And failing.

yosemitepaul

Talk of product placement!…………I take it Kev is sponsored by Canada Goose. Every shot, a Down Jacket, Puffa Jacket, Sleeveless Vest.
    He must be boiling in some shots, the number of layers he’s wearing!

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 645 total)

The topic ‘Grand Designs’ is closed to new replies.