Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 645 total)
  • Grand Designs
  • MrSmith
    Free Member

This is going to have you lot in fits, London, Rapha T-Shirt, Hackney tosspot, trendy yoot etc etc.

CountZero

No fancy facial hair, manbun or his sisters jeans, though.

wallop

Oh dear.

lesgrandepotato

That’s pretty pissed.

maxtorque

a 9M x 4m two bedroom house is small? it’s bigger than the two bedroom house i’m typing this from……….

Also, “hired a hole digging expert” who then ignores all the standard rules for shuttering and makes a right a**e of it, only on GD!

MrSmith
    Free Member

No fancy facial hair, manbun or his sisters jeans, though

True, no pug or ‘adult scooter’ for the commute to Old St either.

somafunk

FFsake, place a ratchet strap round the panels and through the jib on the tele handler. 🙄

Apart from that i think he’s doing well so far 😉

maxtorque

Surely the original basement work was not to spec / drawing and therefore should not have been paid for?

(they also can’t drive a telehandler for toffee neither…… 😆 )

edhornby

breaking the self imposed christmas deadline is a good call, he actually seems like an alright guy

those preformed panels are seriously impressive, you can chuck up a house really quick

wallop

Yes he seems like a decent chap.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I like him but he’s suffering serious scope drift.

fisha
    Free Member

Getting a bit frustrating in that he keeps up-speccing the job. I dont get that. It seems to me that what he is building is a learning project from which he will move on further down the line.

Absolutely learn your lessons, but I think he desire to push the limits beyond what already exceeds the current norm (in this case) is hitting the point of diminishing returns.

edhornby

also.. Swedish girlfriend? if Kevin doesn’t strike again then his powers have truly waned !!! 😀

maxtorque

What do we recon, two times over budget or more??

jonno101
    Free Member

at least its different to the usual.

wallop

The cladding is streets ahead of that bloody Fibonacci house the other week.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Those stairs won’t meet building regs, surely.. You could clatter down three flights.

lesgrandepotato

I was just wondering that!

justinbieber

I love it. Absolutely love it. It’s inspired

fisha
    Free Member

For someone that harps on about details, there were quite a few bits where the finishing wasn’t quite there imho. The kitchen worktop wasn’t level. Gaps around the window shelf and the wall … flippin caulk it! etc etc.

wallop

I think he’s done a really superb job but I don’t think I could live in it.

TheDTs
    Free Member

It is great, I shouldn’t be negative. good job.

theotherjonv

me too. I really want to do an extension like that – a conservatory cum garden room, but built on to the back of my house rather than stand alone.

MrSmith
    Free Member

One of the better ones, really nicely done on a tricky site.
    Budget was quite impressive, it’s worth way more than what it cost unlike that hole in the slope of last week.

fisha
    Free Member

Next week has classic GD written all over it by the looks of it.

jag61

quite like that one, expert basement digger ?FFS, Id have sent him packing from my site day 1, lucky not to kill someone! Kevin loosing his touch?

somafunk

I liked the house, could live in that quite easy (but not in london, move it up here to galloway) and the couple were also very nice re : the landscaping/groundwork outside etc for the surrounding neighbours.

ourmaninthenorth

me too. I really want to do an extension like that – a conservatory cum garden room, but built on to the back of my house rather than stand alone.

I’m building an extension like that right now. Will be dining room + kitchen.

Well, when I say “I” obviously I mean an experienced professional is doing it.

And, when I say “building” we will be just as soon as I’ve spent my contingency fund on a piling contractor so the whole thing won’t slip away in a pile of sloppy clay….

theotherjonv

would you mind sharing some details, will send you an email if it’s in your profile?

somafunk

@ourmaninthenorth : That sounds like a perfect “build” thread to post on here

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Well they won’t be having kids whilst they live there …

maxtorque

Most toddler unfriendly house ever!

psling
    Free Member

I was left wondering why they didn’t go out on to the roof terrace during the final visit. I imagine the ‘door’ may cause ongoing issues given the weight and angle.

He is a bright lad and was pushing boundaries from a position of no training or experience in building design which made for interesting viewing; once he got the right team around him they seemed to be very tolerant of him too! He did well. Glad to see his partner felt a small bit of ownership in the project (although I think the term ‘ownership’ was lost in translation during that little conversation).

Wonder what that property would be worth on the market now? Even going well over budget I should think it was a good investment.

neilwheel
    Free Member

There were shots on the terrace, maybe the door needs some work, but it’s just as likely that there is not enough space for three subjects plus camera and sound crew.

It did seem like a sale was on the cards soon, but good job and a lot learned for him.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Wonder what that property would be worth on the market now? Even going well over budget I should think it was a good investment.

Tricky to say without knowing the exact location and local market but £500k upwards.

ourmaninthenorth

would you mind sharing some details, will send you an email if it’s in your profile?

No probs. Email in profile.

ourmaninthenorth

@ourmaninthenorth : That sounds like a perfect “build” thread to post on here

Given the builders were off site within a week of starting due to the foundation issues, I suspect it will be a while..!

neilnevill
    Free Member

Oh and I liked this week, entertaining and impressed by the finished item, the young lad did very well.
    Was a little disappointed the girlfriend wasn’t expecting a pair of minikevins by the end but then Kevin is getting older…. Count must be dropping.
    Next week’s looks good! Oh and I were LOL ing at the clips.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Just washed last night and I really liked it.
    Thought it was great how he got so involved and completed so much himself.

Liked the layout and final product. Good work.

tonyg2003

As most other posters – really enjoyed that one from crapoy initial basement digger who seemed to think that he could save them doing it properly, to the real lows of a self builder to the very nice finished product. Excellent – although minus points for no pregnancies.

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 645 total)

The topic ‘Grand Designs’ is closed to new replies.