Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Grand Canyon CF SL 8.9 as a daily Road Commuter?
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

I nearly bought a Dirty Disco last week as a commuter for my 60 miles per weekish commute. Mainly road, but with 8-10 miles per day flat farm track off road.

I didn’t, cos it wouldn’t have liked the nasty muddy paste thrown up by the farm track and wouldn’t have been much use for anything else. But I wanted iy cos it was shiny.

In the end I just realised that I was in that tragic phase where I ride bikes so rarely that the desire to buy one to compensate becomes irresistable.

At which point I cam to the conclusion that maybe I should buy a nice Carbo 29er and stick some tri bars on it. (No really, bear with me). It would be just as light as the Disco, just as aerodynamic for the 5 miles down the trans Pennine trail. But most importantly it would be awesome for those infinitesimally rare occasions when I actually go out and mountain bike. (once since November 5th last year)

God I’m so depressed. Think I’ll just have another beer.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Book an Alpine holiday? Then you’ll have to ride.

br
    Free Member

But most importantly it would be awesome for those infinitesimally rare occasions when I actually go out and mountain bike. (once since November 5th last year)

Do you live in North Korea, or is something else stopping you ride when/what you want to?

kirky72
    Free Member

I just built a new bike and started to think I may not ride my canyon Grand Canyon cf very much in the future.

It is a very light bike (around 10kg)super quick and easy to get up hills. However I may be tempted to sell it if you are interested.

The frame is a large 5 gentle rides old from new and heli taped to keep it neat. Built with reba forks. 1 x 10 with expander. Guide r brakes carbon seat post and bars. Got a brand new set of wtb i19s that hsvent been ridden yet.

I m 5ft 9 normally a medium but this is a large, I prefer a longer top tube for cx and the stand over height is low on these so it’s a good fit. looking at around £1375 no pedals.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

it would be awesome for those infinitesimally rare occasions when I actually go out and mountain bike.

I’ve found the vaguely innappropriate nature of skinny tyres and drop bars on my CX bike has made enjoy riding the sort of tame bridleway/XC trails that I’d find teeth-grindingly tedious on an MTB.

Combined with my re-discovered love for road riding, my MTB miles are all about quality not quantity. It it’s not awsumz trailz it stays in the garage.

firmo123
    Free Member

I think buying a 29er of this spec is pretty ludicrous given the amount of use you’re going to give the bike. Its a mountain bike, so its best used off-road.

I’ve been using my Dirty Disco for the last 18 months and absolutely adore it. Its lightweight and so fun, and is capable of handling MTB tracks (though it can be hair-raising at times). Its also served me well as a touring bike (I rode 1,100km off-road through Spain over 8 days last year).

My advice would be to opt for more of a hybrid, or indeed, go with your original idea of the Dirty Disco.

(I’m also selling mine to make way for a MTB. Its size Medium, SRAM Red equipped, with other significant upgrades. If interested, drop me a line)

duckman

I got the DD on Cyclescheme a couple of week ago. 6 mile commute,half road half farmtrack,scroll down for my review.

Dirty Disco FTW! 😀

karnali
    Free Member

Firmo I could b interested in the disco can u email spec and pics and price to Martin_varey@yahoo.com can’t see an email add in ur profile.
    Ta

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Do you live in North Korea, or is something else stopping you ride when/what you want to?

Variety of things… being knackered from work, having a wife and two kids to maintain. And on the bright side a couple of excellent weekends skiing at The Coe and a week skiing in the Dollies. So not all bad.

However I may be tempted to sell it if you are interested.

First thoughts are that it seems a bit steep at that price. Not that I know what kit it has on it. But thanks for the thought.

I’ve found the vaguely innappropriate nature of skinny tyres and drop bars on my CX bike has made enjoy riding the sort of tame bridleway/XC trails that I’d find teeth-grindingly tedious on an MTB.

Yes, that’s sort of what I was thinking. It would make easy trails more interesting.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Grand Canyon CF SL 8.9 as a daily Road Commuter?’ is closed to new replies.