Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • gran turismo 2 ps1 can anyone recommend a first car to buy?
  • racefaceec90

have just started to replay this game from scratch (no saved game unfortunately).basically (because i am rubbish 😉 am getting slaughtered in the easy races 😳 i have an 88 toyota celica 4wd that i have upgraded to stage 2 turbo kit (285 bhp i think),but i am still getting thrashed 😳 every car no matter what race i do (haven’t yet done any licence tests) seem to have a supercharger under the bonnet.help! 🙂 p.s i know that i am crap 😉 p.s.s am thinking of restarting the game if it is worth changing my first car hence the thread question.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Mx5 was always a good start, then an imp and skyline. Loved that game.

GW
    Free Member

just keep playing, you should get better

racefaceec90

i cannot wait to get the skyline 😀 then i’ll show em 😉

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Have u fitted a better gearbox to your celica? The powers useless without it.

racefaceec90

ah will try fitting a new gearbox.i have lightened the body (stage 1) and put a racing flywheel/stage 1 clutch racing intercooler (i think that’s all?) i have won some races,but some the cars are just too quick on the straights (beginner races/no licences yet)

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Turbo, gearbox, tyres, chip was my usual shopping list. You don’t really notice flywheels etc. Till later in the game. If you adjust the gears bring them down a few notches for quicker acceleration, lightening is good but I’d get the other parts 1st or save your money for a better car.

Cougar

It’s been a while, but I’m 99% sure that the MX5 was the best pick for first car.

Saccades
    Free Member

2nd hand lancer, there is a gsr always for sale – although I’d often go with the prelude si for a challenge.

My shopping list was always:

ecu
    stage 1 lighter
    sports suspension
    medium tyres (highest grade typ you can race with)
    stage 1 turbo
    can’t remember if 2 had downforce or racing mod, go for racing mod if you can, but downforce is important.
    up rated brakes
    gearbox – all singing version, adjust the gear box to ignore 1st and stretch 2nd, on a high speed course stretch top gear.
    lighter 2

It’s all set up to keep the speed, set the suspension as low and as hard as it will go with 2.4 wheel angle back and about 2.2 at the front (if you set more at the front it’ll turn quicker but grip less). Set the downforce for max.

That set up will allow you to draft cars with more power and destroy them in the bends.

I wouldn’t uprate the car much past this, as you will then be going for specfic cars for each race. All out power is a bit crap if for 90% of the race it’s useless (ie speed12, but that is stunning in a straight line).

You’ll find the skyline is a bit limited, too top heavy and typical 4wd understeer, tvr’s are very good for cheap and fast racing as are supra’s.

mx5 is too underpowered but drives v nice as are nsx’s.

for ff racing get an eclipse or a integra.

I can’t remember exactly, but for either 1 or 2 there were a number of cars as prizes and depending on what you raced in depended on the car you got.

I might dig it out and have a play, gt5 forces you to grind which is a pita – 4 is cool and i adore it.

HarveyStedham
    Free Member

Cor, that is going back a while that game!!

Im sure on the early GT games always used to buy the mitsu GTO twin turbo as it tunes easy to like 600bhp and goes like a rocket! Been so long since played that game though!

As some have said, power is nothing without control! Make sureyou have good tyres and suspension and the gearbox upgrade allows you to keep it in the power much better!

willard

Galant VR4. for some reason, it would do the most amazing drift and would _never_ spin out.

You do need to win the TVR cerbera limited though. The best car on the game.

Saccades
    Free Member

is THE LM in GT2?

I used to race that and the skyline 400 around autumn ring mini trying to beat 30 seconds, got it down to 28.something low and was going to send it in to a magazine then some girl got 27.6 and I knew I could never get that fast… she broke me tbh.

I’d forgotten the GTO too – class car that in later gt versions was criminally overlooked and detuned.

Saccades
    Free Member

I just dug gt2 out of deep space storage…

It’s the one with the scratch and smell disc (still smells) and the Jaguar XJR-15 GT and the rx7 lm version…

I’d forgotten how many cars there are in this version… many that are never seen again (vector m8 for a start, ace once you give it a gearbox).

racefaceec90

cheers everyone 😀 have finally won enough and bought the skyline (r34) for just under £56,000.now i just have to tune the mother 😉 p.s does anyone else have uncontrollable turrettes? when playing computer games.am not proud of it,but cannot help myself 😳

King-ocelot
    Free Member

The scratch and sniff reminded me more of an ashtray than pit lanes. Gt2 had so many cars and crash damage, it was ahead of it’s time really. Pity GT AI still sticks to the racing line. I have fondest memories of 1 and 3.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

HarveyStedham – Member

Im sure on the early GT games always used to buy the mitsu GTO twin turbo as it tunes easy to like 600bhp and goes like a rocket!

Agreed, GTO / GT3000 or whatever they called it

Taff
    Free Member

I think I found a memory card the other day for this one. Is it no2 that had the pikes peak?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Gt2 had the pikes peak course, gt3 had the pikes peak Suzuk car, the one you could make wheeliei. If I remember correctly.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Impreza everytime: not as fast in a straightline as the Skyline but it owns the corners and thats where you win the races

Harry_the_Spider

I was fond of my Lancia Delta. Spent a wedge on it. 😀

racefaceec90

well finally did all the license tests (apart from the special licenses) only got bronze medals though (apart from a few silver ones/man i hate those license tests) p.s catflees the suzuki pikes peak car is in the game also (you have to use it on the pikes peak course for one of the license tests.tis very fast 😉

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Nice raceface, you can pick up ps2s and gt3 for the cost of a few pints, it’s like having your eyes cleaned if your used to ps1. Still great games.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘gran turismo 2 ps1 can anyone recommend a first car to buy?’ is closed to new replies.