Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Gran Canaria/Tenerife/Lanzarote – cycling hols at Xmas?
  • stuartie_c
    Free Member

Anyone been on a road riding trip to the Canaries over Xmas/New Year?

Just forming a plan to escape the shite weather and looking for options.

Destinations/weather/quality of riding – any input appreciated!

hammyuk
    Free Member

Massive destination for German Roadies – lots of companies there specifically for it.
    Tenerife will give you the longest continual climb 😉

jota180
    Free Member

Weather should be good, last year was very poor with high winds and floods but generally it’ll be low 20s with plenty of sunshine

jonk

Just got back from Tenerife – took mountain bikes. Loads of trails most 20 miles plus. Not much singletrack as the government have banned bikes from most single / walking trails. Tenerife was gorgeous especially the wooded areas in the north east. We are trying Lanzarote in October.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Hmmmm…

Just looked at prices to Tenerife from EDI – no bargains to be had.

GLA to Malaga more reasonable. Any idea about climate in Andalucia over Xmas period?

jota180
    Free Member

Christmas is high season in the Canaries so bargains this far out will be scarce

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Aye – that’s what I’m seeing. Bah!

Any other suggestions for Xmas sun, ideally with awesome riding, for tuppence ha’apenny?

njee20
    Free Member

There’s not much on Lanzarote, I did a week there a few years ago with some triathlete friends, we covered virtually every road on the island, most multiple times. I’d look elsewhere if you just want road riding.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

OK – scrub Canaries. Too pricey.

My finger is hovering over flights to Lisbon for £157 return. Bike £70 extra.

Any reason not to?

jota180
    Free Member

No but the West coast of Europe in Winter can be a bit cold and wet

Last Dec in Lisbon
    http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/LPPT/2013/12/2/MonthlyHistory.html#calendar

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Aye – just had a look at climate data. Not encouraging…

Ah well, Lochaber it is!

davidisaacs
    Free Member

Last 2 Christmas and New Years, 2012/13 and 2013/14 some of our clients, bikingandalucia.com, clients managed to acquire a suntan! Cool nights warm days and drier than the Canaries.

yunki
    Free Member

what are the mtb options like on Lanzarote..?
    my old dear’s little floating caravan is moored up out there over the winter this year and me and the other half were thinking of going over there for some free winter sun and a bit of riding..

any ideas..?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Gran Canaria/Tenerife/Lanzarote – cycling hols at Xmas?’ is closed to new replies.