Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • gpx file – how to import (sorry, bimbo question!)
  • cinnamon_girl

Help! I have been sent a gpx file and I can not open it. I have Tracklogs mapping software. What do I do?

Thank you so much!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

CG if you send it to me I can convert it for you 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

I don’t think Tracklogs can read gpx files. If you email it to me, I should be able to convert it for you. If this is going to be a regular occurrence, invest in GPS Utility…

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Tracklogs V3 can certainly read gpx files. Are you still on V2 Elaine?

cinnamon_girl

Gosh chaps, thanks for the speedy replies 🙂

I did manage once to convert one of my gps routes into a gpx file and send to someone – totally shocked myself 😯

What’s GPS Utility please?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

What’s GPS Utility please?

a program that can load, edit and convert all sorts of GPS files

neilb67
    Free Member

V3 Tracklogs will open a GPX file. Just click <File> then <Open> then in the Open box select GPS Exchange Format from the bottom drop down box highlighted <Files of Type>

cinnamon_girl

Hi Dave, good work Sherlock!! Um, think it’s v3. I downloaded the latest Tracklogs manual and can’t find anything in there about gps. Can’t find anything in the Help contents either.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

What neilb67 said.

If you still can’t open it, send it to me and I can try.

cinnamon_girl

Sorry for being such a retard but it was sent as an attachment to an e-mail.

There was a mumbling of ‘set association’ which I thought I had managed to do but it would appear not 🙄

Should I just go ride my bike?

It’s definitely version 3 that I have.

neilb67
    Free Member

If it was sent as an attachment then double click on the file in the email and then when your asked what program to use to open it then select Tracklogs.

andywhit
    Free Member

File->Open and then change file type to GPX, then select file you’ve saved from the Email and away you go

cinnamon_girl

Whoohoo!!! Cracked it!!! 8)

Thanks everyone 😀

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

CG – If it the route I am thinking of it will look a bit short because it doesn’t include a loop around a particular location.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Is this WCA’s route for Sunday, by any chance?
    🙂

cinnamon_girl

Help! Again! It is showing square boxes with trackpoints imposed rather than an actual route. What do I need to do please?

WCA – not actually sure what the route is, yet!

PP – yep!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Sending you a better version (hopefully)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Good. I’m keeping a close eye on the weather. It’s about to get rainy from tomorrow…
    🙁

cinnamon_girl

WCA – any response from Rich?

PP – yeah, hoping they have got it wrong though!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

In summary – From the carpark we follow horse paths south to Avon Tyrrell. From there we head east along the fence to Cross Ways. Continuing east into Holmesly and Wivelry (sp?) and then back towards Burley.

Not strenuous but should be fun. Loads of longer riding from Burley after cream cakes and beer for those who want it.

cinnamon_girl

PP – will reply to your email a bit later.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks again for your help and offers of help 🙂

One final question – apart from Tracklogs what other mapping software can use gpx, ie presumably Memory Map does? Any others?

Cheers.

BigJohn

If you download GPS Babel from http://www.gpsbabel.org you can convert gpx files into mmo files (memory map) and all sorts of routes that different devices use, including Garmin.

I have the free evaluation copy of memory map (that you can download from their website) which doesn’t allow importing/exporting gpx files but using GPS babel I can get a route from memory map into a garmin edge.

cinnamon_girl

Ah, I had assumed that gpx was suitable for the most popular mapping software. Just really for route-swapping/sharing now and again.

andywhit
    Free Member

MotionBased website imports GPX files.

It does seem to be slower than a slow thing though, cool when it works but it’s under powered.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘gpx file – how to import (sorry, bimbo question!)’ is closed to new replies.