Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • .gpx file from Strava to TomTom sat nav for a car. Is it possible?
  • number18
    Free Member

I’ve created 7 day road bike route through mainland Europe for next year using Strava Route builder. I’ve set up a Strava route for each day.

We’ll have a support vehicle, does anyone know of a way to get a route you’ve created and available in .gpx format on to a Sat Nav? The guys in the support vehicle will need to know where to go and will obviously need to be almost identical the the cyclists’ route, asking the sat nav to create a route won’t work.

So, does anyone know if TomTom car sat navs have the facility for you to upload a route?

Thanks

poisonspider
    Free Member

I don’t ‘know’ but I doubt it.

Tom Tom’s are sat nav’s not GPSs if you know what I mean.

I know the Tom Tom I have is a fairly basic one and that doesn’t have the facility to do it.

iolo
    Free Member
    number18
    Free Member

That was the first thing I did, iolo!

The first few results all lead to TomTom cycling computers, not car Sat Nav’s.

Just clicked on another though and it’s taken me to optimoroute.com, which might be some help.

FuzzyWuzzy

I doubt it too – don’t the guys in the support vehicle have access to a smartphone? I don’t use phone nav apps apart from google but I thought some you could pre-load maps (if you’re going somewhere with a patchy signal)

Rubber_Buccaneer

Not something car satnavs do in general, I think a couple of the old Garmins did. They are mostly intended to give you a route not for you to dictate the route. The motorcycle TomToms do allow just this using Tyre and other motorcycle satnavs have the facility too.

jairaj

Don’t know about loading a GPX route but here is a workaround if you can’t find a way.

You can force Tom Tom to use a certain route rather than the one it calculates by using way points. Add your start and finish points for each day. Compare the Tom Tom route with the intended route and see where the first deviation is. Put a way point to force Tom Tom to follow your desired route. Repeat until the Tom Tom route is identical.

You can plan a whole journey in advance on your computer using the Tom Tom Home application rather than on the device and save it as an itinerary which you can then upload to your device.

You are basically treating each day as multi stage route to force Tom Tom to follow your desired route rather than the one it thinks is best. Its a little tedious but it works.

number18
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

One option would be to access the route created in Strava via a smart phone but it relies on GPS signal and internet access to the Strava App (unless it can be downloaded and done offline).

Maybe the best (and easiest) option is for the support vehicle to use a Garmin as their Sat Nav. This relies on GPS signal.

Either way we’ll have a hard copy of the route both with the riders and the support vehicle as back-up.

bazzer
    Free Member

Have a look at http://www.tyretotravel.com/ might do what you want. I use it for building routes when motorcycle touring for use on my TomTom.

bails

Maybe the best (and easiest) option is for the support vehicle to use a Garmin as their Sat Nav. This relies on GPS signal.

So does the TomTom sat nav 😕

That’s probably the easiest option though. The driver(s) could always carry the ‘car’ sat nav with them as a backup if there’s a bit of road that the bikes can get through but the car can’t, or if you need to get ahead to a bike shop/hospital etc.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘.gpx file from Strava to TomTom sat nav for a car. Is it possible?’ is closed to new replies.