Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • GPX editing
  • unklehomered
    Free Member

Hello STW

Hoping you can help, can anyone point me towards a GPX editing tool that will do what I need?

What I need:

I need to edit my GPXs taken from strava or similar, and move the start and end points to public car parks or suitable start/stop points for the general public.

These are often a few miles from my start stop which might be my office, my house, etc. So I need to split the route (easy) and then add the end to the beginning or VV. (this seems to be unheard of).

There is no real need to preserve speed or time data, they will be used for route guidance. tried a few tools but can’t get it to let me recombine the split bits in the right order.

Thanks!

scotroutes

Garmin Base Camp. It’s a free download.

It’ll use the mapping on your GPS while attached to your PC/Mac or you can download some OSM Mapping and install that.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Is it? I saw that but assumed would be limited to my having purchased their kit. Ta!

jam-bo

do it in strava route builder

jambalaya
    Free Member

Go into full geek mode and edit the file in a text editor 8)

Failing that as above. Base Camp is good, sadly my garmin gps unit is so ancient it cannot
    connect to it but I can upload/download to/from phone apps

unklehomered
    Free Member

I did start in Strava but it does seem very beta. Might be the laptop but i was all cross and angry very quickly, might try again.

Cheers for the tips.

gobuchul
    Free Member

You can install Garmin Mapsource without owning a Garmin.

Google “install mapsource without a garmin”.

Not strictly legal but the work around is so simple and well known that I guess Garmin don’t really care.

Or go Opensource

unklehomered
    Free Member

tried open source… nearly but not quite. (unless i just couldn’t find the relevant button).

orangespyderman

I have used Viking GPS Editor a bit, and it’s very comprehensive (though rather unintuitive). The whole GPS editing thing is generally rather fastidious and I think it’s often quicker to ride more or less the circuit you want from a paper map and make slight adjustments afterwards than try and merge together multiple GPX files or start from scratch (and you get to ride). It feels a little like embroidery and is, to me, desperately dull and somewhat thankless. YMMV 🙂

unklehomered
    Free Member

Its actually a work thing, as the office cyclist I;ve been asked to provide some route ideas from my own knowledge of the area.

Obviously I don’t want you lot all showing up to start your rides from outside my house 😉 , so need to alter them to direct people to convenient car parking.

You would think this would be a simple task…

raw editing increasingly attractive.

scotroutes

Just re-ride the route from the required start point. If it’s for work they should be paying you to ride 🙂

unklehomered
    Free Member

Viking, is the answer for anyone who in the future wants this. (I hate old threads with no conclusion) split, and then append one part to the other.

xora

I use Viking or gpsprune depending on the phase of the moon (ie which one I hit in menu first)

unklehomered
    Free Member

Actually once I’d moved the gap for start finish to elsewhere in the route with viking, I used GPS Track Editor, which was otherwise a good tool for tweaking and extending the beginning of the route.

Will look at GPSprune

That strava one is chuffing useless, not sure how they can call the edit function editing since it won’t let you change anything.

Anyway, through several programs I’m there now. Thanks all!

ianfitz
    Free Member

I like bikehike for gpx editing. You can do what you explain by splitting and saving the route, reversing it to trim off the appropriate section and ‘draw’ on a route either on an OS map or automatically using google maps. You can merge files too

Some of those functions are in the options menu

canopy
    Free Member

yeah the strava one is a bit shite.. i use it for planning a route based on length and how much ‘up’ there is. useless when riding IF you have ‘show me nearby segments’ or whatever its called turned on.

(It got a little lost at the weekend because of that :))

strava one also only sticks to trails/roads google knows about. i wish to go they’d switch one one based on either 1) their own chuffing segments or at least 3) open cycle map

CraigW
    Free Member

The Strava route planner is based on OpenStreetMap (as well as their own data for popularity etc).

Though it’s not very useful for editing a track you have ridden, probably easiest just to draw a new route.

nedrapier

What ianfitz said. definitely most straightforward for someone who knows nothing. “cut to end” and “reverse route” are your friend for trimming and redirecting, Notepad or Notepad 2 for splicing 2 routes together into one file.

Notepad 2 is a free to download text editor that will format and colour code the string for easier editing.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘GPX editing’ is closed to new replies.