Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • GPS with OS maps. Anything better than a Garmin 800 Trail at £338
  • I’m currently using a Garmin 305 to log all my rides, with a Memory Map 3500 as well when I want live mapping.
    The battery life on the MM3500 doesn’t seem too good when set to maximum brightness and it sometimes just switches it’s self for no reason.

The GB OS maps cost about £200 on their own. It doesn’t seem worth buying another device just for mapping and having two devices on the ‘bars, I might as well buy something that will do everything the 305 and 3500 do in one go, like an 800.

Best deal I can find is CRC at £360, less £12 off today, less 3% via Quidco, £338.
    Any better deals on an 800, or anything else that will do the same job for less money ?

Milkie
    Free Member
    druidh
    Free Member

Have a look at a Dakota 20. You should get one with full OS mapping for around £280. It will still link to HR and Cadence sensors if you want and it runs of AA batteries, so you could always keep a couple of spares if you think you will be out for more than8-10 hours.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    drookitmunter
    Free Member

I love my Satmap Active 10.

Big screen. glove friendly buttons. OS maps. Battery lasts for days. Cheap replaceable screens.

neninja
    Free Member

Satmap user here and think they’re great. Big screen is excellent, the lithium battery last ages, prefer buttons to touch screen as usually wearing gloves.

I’ve got 1:50k mapping for most of the UK plus 1:25k for the areas I ride most of the time – Co Durham and Yorkshire Dales. The 1:25k mapping is much more useful as it shows field boundaries etc.

woffle
    Free Member

I’ve got a Satmap Active for sale if you’re interested – with SouthEast 1:50 and All National Parks 1:50 OS maps. It’s in the classifieds…

SimonR

There’s a useful bit of info on a previous thread here

This website seems to offer a reasonable solution for getting the mapping bit sorted.

Put this onto an Etrex 20 and that would seem to be a reasonably cheap way forward.

Not made the GPS purchase yet …. accidentally bought a frame last week so that’s diverted finances for a few months 🙂

Thanks for all the help.
    Since my last post I’ve had the 10% off email from Wiggle, which, with my 12% platinum discount and 3% from quidco brings the 800 down to £307.
    I like the big screen of the MM3500. I might miss that with the 800, so that’s one point in favour of the SatMap.

I’m still undecided though. I think I need to have a proper look at TalkyToaster and work out what it’s all about. It looks a bit complicated to me, the idea of buying something that works straight out of the box is a bit more appealing

pete68
    Free Member

Another Satmap user here. Brilliant bit of kit. Went for because at the time it was the only gps with os mapping. Mainly use southern gb 1:50 000 ,which covers up to the peak district.

djflexure

Got a Satmap and 800 both with 1:50K. The Satmap is too big for regular use on the bike. Garmin does custom maps which means you can create your own os 1:25K for any given ride/area using mobile atlas creator 1.8. I like the fact you can read your Garmin maps when its hooked up to a computer. Means you don’t need slow online mapping to plan routes.
    Would not want to plan a route on the Garmin but as long as you are following a pre plotted track then you are fine.

pete68
    Free Member

I dont tend to use the Satmap for every day use. Only use it on the bike for following new routes or events like honc. When I do though the size isn’t really a problem and you get the benefit of a decent size screen. For my local rides when I know the local paths I have a garmin 500.

Innes
    Free Member

I am using my smart phone with the android Memory Map App and 2004 Memory Map files. You don’t need to pay a licence fee for the 2004 files but you for the V5 files.

It is working really well for me.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Graham, I’m running OpenCycleMap on an eTrex Vista HCX, so the older version of the eTrex. So long as you name the file correctly, then it’s been plug and play for me.

Not to the standard of OS maps, but a cheap mapping solution that’s getting better all the time. Maps for rest of Europe also available as well (I have France on a separate micro SD card).

fibre
    Free Member

I use an 800 with TalkieToaster maps and bikeroutetoaster.com to plot rides. TalkieToaster maps are freeware so all you need is a memory card and a few minutes of your time. I’ve been using it for about a year and it’s worked fine, I haven’t felt the need to buy any map packs 🙂

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I had to send my MM3500 back to be fixed/replaced 5 times!
    Not good. In the end I asked for and got a full refund.

Now using a second-hand smartphone with an extra battery, mmtracker app and my memory map files. Sorted, for less than £100.
    I get about 7 hours with the display on constant, twice that if I only turn it on when I need to.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘GPS with OS maps. Anything better than a Garmin 800 Trail at £338’ is closed to new replies.