• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • GPs – what they say and what they mean
  • Pook

What's the balance between GPs actually saying what they think versus what they think a patient wants to hear?

thomthumb
    Free Member

3:1

Tiger6791

thought it was 0.25 to Π

thepodge
    Free Member

depends on how good your GP is.

you better not be heading into slagging off GPs territory or i'm sending Caroline round to set you straight

Pook

nah – she was very good. We had a chat about her sending me for a chest X-ray, but she said she was sure it wouldn't find anything. I suggested that her word was good based on her examination of me, and that I didn't subsequently need a chest x-ray, to which she replied "well, I was really doing that for your own peace of mind".

I was just wondering how much 'peace of mind' overules actual medical need is all

Drac

Off legs = I don't have a clue.

I'll get you an ambulance = I won't think to ask if you get there yourself

thepodge
    Free Member

She must have you pinned down as a worrier.

its a bit unusual to send you for xrays giving that reasoning but its not unknown.

clubber
    Free Member

What's the balance between GPs actually saying what they think versus what they think a patient wants to hear?

Probably lower than GPs not saying what they want to say because they know the patient won't like it…

Pook

That was my thought. I said to her 'is the x-ray just to stop me worrying', which she said it was.

inigomontoya
    Free Member

On the other hand, I got sent for a small symptomless lump to be removed and biopsied although the GP was sure it was just a sebaceous cyst – one lymph node removal and course of radiotherapy later and I've not yet been back to let her know how wrong she was.

Woody
    Free Member

I'll get you an ambulance = I won't think to ask if you get there yourself

You enjoying the new 111 number Drac?

I'm leaving shortly for work to find out if it's still as wonderful as it was last weekend……if I get one more person saying "Oh I didn't want an ambulance, I only called for advice"…..after we've travelled 5 miles on blue lights……….grrrr.

IME GP's will usually say what they think then quite rightly cover their @rse as per yourself and inigomontoya.

docrobster
    Free Member

It's called communication skills and its what GPs should have that hosp docs don't.
    Fine example from this afternoon: 34 yr old woman, morbidly obese. Has a pain in her foot and some odd neurological symptoms.
    What I am thinking is of course your feet hurt you fat knacker, and oh bugger that might be MS.
    What I said was "so how are we doing with the weight loss then, cos you do realise it isn't helping" and " was there anything in particular you were worried these pins and needles might be? a stroke you say, well I think that's unlikely but we should run some tests and perhaps you should see a neurologist"
    and then I told her to dial 999 😉

dr_death
    Free Member

Oy, bugger off! I have communication skills. Why just this afternoon I communicated with some pissed arsehole that he should get out of my department. He understood perfectly what "Get out and don't ever darken my door again you drunken wazock" meant.

thepodge
    Free Member

Wazock is a much under used insult these days

docrobster
    Free Member

Aye sorry dr_death forgot you lot in a+e have highly honed communication skills too. Reminds me of one of the local consultants famed for his "get out of my emergency room" rants. Seemed to do the trick for him.
    And yes wazock is a good term- due a come back I feel.

Drac

You enjoying the new 111 number Drac?

It's not in up here just Durham Tees, it'll be just like NHS Direct I reckon accept free to call.

and then I told her to dial 999

Oh you may mock. 😆

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘GPs – what they say and what they mean’ is closed to new replies.