Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • GPS – What do I need
  • luddite
    Free Member

Looking to get a GPS device initially to navigate a long road ride, passing through some larger cities.

But also would like to use it as back up when in the hills walking or on the MTB.

What do I need?
    Budget is limited, the less the better, apparently I do have to feed the kids first!

Dibbs
    Free Member

eTrex 30?

butcher

For cheap navigation I’d suggest the Etrex 20. Does most of what the 30 does, but cheaper. It’s really a hiking GPS but with all the basic cycle functions you need, speed, average, distance, etc. So good for different stuff. Quite bulky though. And buy a proper Garmin mount (and lanyard). They take AA batteries too, and last up to 25 hours, so good for long rides, touring, stuff like that.

The Edge units are very cycle specific. Loaded with loads of data and training functions, which you may or may not be interested in. But something with proper mapping gets relatively expensive. They’re much sleeker than the chunky Etrex though, both physically and…..softwareably, and easy to use on a day to day basis.

There’s the Touring too, which is reasonably priced, but I don’t know much about it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    devash
    Free Member

We should have a “What GPS” sticky. 😆

eTrex 20x or 30x. Fantastic little GPS units.

I bought my Etrex 20 on Amazon in the sales for £110. Its performed faultlessly for biking and hiking. There’s not much to knock it for the price.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you really don’t need the training stuff then I’d go for the Edge Touring…

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/garmin-edge-touring-gps/rp-prod115868?gs=1&gclid=Cj0KEQiAvJS3BRDd44fjndyii6MBEiQAN4EkPQdGRP4Z_SR-SlEIREJiy_-CcaG44Mc9VP4LFd8yg7UaAg1n8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

You could get another 10% off that if you’re a BC member too.

tillydog
    Free Member

Up until this morning, I would also have recommended the Etrex 20x, but it seems that it can’t display cumulative height gained. I know it doesn’t have the barometric altimeter, but neither did my old gps76 or the older Etrex 20, but they could show it. Most miffed :/ (Unless I’m missing something…?)

Aparently the Etrex 30x can do it, but it costs more, and has a bit shorter battery life.

matty456
    Free Member

Etrex 20 is great for me, biking, hiking, walking, geocaching. It is a bit bulky but as said before uses 2 aa batteries so no worries of power fail. Been 100% reliable for me so far.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘GPS – What do I need’ is closed to new replies.